IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

krexzen

All Star
Daps
I have no problem learning what's needed just simply don't want to waste time if HR just overlooks my application. I'm guessing MCSE is another low level cert? Got more wisdom to share?

From an employer's perspective, certifications are used to weed out applicants, qualify for vendor discounts, establish knowledge baselines, and meet customer contract requirements. Knowing all of this, you can possibly use this to leverage your way to a job and/or higher salary. If a company is looking for a certain certified employee, it is mostly likely going to be because of one the reasons mentioned above. That is it. No hiring manager is going to be impressed with your certification in and of itself. It is just a checklist item. How it affects your chance of being hired or your salary depends on their ease or difficulty in finding applicants with that certification, or their desire for a particular skill set. Experience really super cedes all. Interviewers spend far more time going over your experiences than what certifications you have. Think of certs in a similar vain as a degree.

As far as interviewing, being able to speak the language of the profession impresses far more than what test you took. If you are also able to convey that you've seen it and done it before, then the job is in the bag. Use certs as a springboard to enhance your experience or knowledge. At the end of the day customers/employers just want you to hold their hand and let them know everything is going to be okay.

Now, if you're trying to get your first job than my advice would be to try to relate whatever knowledge or work/life experience you have to that job (visit forums/speak to people in the profession). Show that it won't take a year and forever for you to get up to speed. It may not be what you want to hear, but that's just how it is.

A lot times it's the "little things" that impresses employers. Talk about SLAs, device info (cost/bugs/upgrades/common difficulties), environments (data center, enterprise, service provider, etc), common troubleshooting techniques, industry trends, etc. Being able to effortlessly discuss the "little things" IMO is what really gives experienced workers an edge. Your mouthpiece is your biggest asset. It's the real moneymaker. Everything else is mostly fuel.

ViShawn

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I've also noticed that having dealt with Open Source software, knowing the software and exposure to it is important.

I have a CCNA which expired lol but I have dealt with a lot of Linux. I was going to get a RHCSA/RHCE (literally missed my RHCSA by 14 points and never re took it!) but a lot of the stuff I touch is Ubuntu/SuSE at the moment and I personally use a lot of ArchLinux myself.

With that said it would be nice to have certain certifications, outside of the Saltstack one I have (configuration management) to get more looks.

The biggest thing that is hurting me now is that I haven't been in development roles. I interviewed with IBM and they told me they want someone with more development experience for the role, but the guy I talked to simply talked to me about systems and OpenStack which I worked with for years. :stopitslime: It kind of pissed me off because it was a time waster knowing what they want. She is going to refer me to an Operations role though but I've heard bad things about IBM.

Another thing is that I don't have a degree and that may or may not be a deal breaker for some positions. I have some college at a really good university but stress/depression got the better of me at the time.

Honestly though given my experience I have had Facebook, Google, and LinkedIn contact me for high roles. When I left the web hosting company I was at I was making 70K in Texas. I was making six figures in my last role. The roles I look at I say that figure and they are cool with it.:yeshrug:

I know with some roles with certain companies, and especially dealing with Government hardware they require a Degree. I do see some of my white counterparts with fukking history / polysci / and other Liberal Arts degrees though and they get these lucrative roles by working through the ranks. :stopitslime: Always as a black person you have to do more.

With that said though I am in my early 30s and been fukking with Linux since I was a teenager so I'm comfortable with my Operating System knowledge and I'm fortunate enough to get the exposure I have had thus far. Once I get established in my next role though I AM going back to school for Data Science.

I'm only two weeks into my job search though and things look promising enough that Indeed is flying me out next week for a Site Reliability Engineer role. Also some other companies are talking to me in the first stage of things. I just hate the process.

Last edited:

se1f_made

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Any oracle dba's in here? i just got my sql fundamenral cert and started studying for the administration portion. Should I start applying for jobs now?
I work as a SQL DBA amongst other duties but wouldn't apply for an Oracle Postion unless it's entry level and they state that no prior oracle experience is needed. It's rare for someone to become an Oracle DBA without prior experience. Take a job that's mainly focused on SQL then try to transition once you get some experience

ViShawn

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Any oracle dba's in here? i just got my sql fundamenral cert and started studying for the administration portion. Should I start applying for jobs now?

My friend is an Oracle DBA but man he's almost always reading :russ:

He tried to get me into it when I first started in the company we both worked at. I just didn't have time to shift gears like that.

se1f_made

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
My friend is an Oracle DBA but man he's almost always reading :russ:

He tried to get me into it when I first started in the company we both worked at. I just didn't have time to shift gears like that.
I had a few opportunities to go full time DBA and I'm glad I didnt, databases are the most boring IT work that u can do:scust:

ViShawn

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I had a few opportunities to go full time DBA and I'm glad I didnt, databases are the most boring IT work that u can do:scust:

That's why my friend wants out. He doesn't feel like he's contributing doing that shyt.

That's why he's doing data science courses now.

Daps
No I don't. I'm kind of in a weird spot because I have a security analyst job right now doing GRC, SSP, risk assessment, and vulnerability assessment. I'm trying to get a more technical role but not trying to take a drop in pay to do so.

Ah ok. In that case then CEH is probably good but CCNA can help you get more technical as well. Honestly your in a good area of security now. what are you trying to do exactly?

Daps
Reppin
MD
Ah ok. In that case then CEH is probably good but CCNA can help you get more technical as well. Honestly your in a good area of security now. what are you trying to do exactly?
I'm still trying to figure out which area of security I want to focus on but I have narrowed it down to Pen Testing, IR or stay a security consultant but widen my knowledge and skill set.

Daps
I'm still trying to figure out which area of security I want to focus on but I have narrowed it down to Pen Testing, IR or stay a security consultant but widen my knowledge and skill set.

Yea right now, i say you widen your skill set. Security is changing quickly. So the more broad your skill set is right now the better imo. For example, think about how security has shifted and the focus is less on perimeter security and now is on the data. or the asset being protected. Mostly because its too easy to get inside and in many companies there really is no true perimeter anymore.

se1f_made

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Is it that bad? Boring like nothing to do or tedious work? My girls uncle has been a dba for 20 years and he steered me in that direction.
Depends on your personality and what u find interesting. Some folks can sit there and read over queries and tables all day or investigate which tables are causing fragmentation which slows response time/database performance. Some real boring shyt