IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

bnm8907

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Lol, studying and passing the CCNP (legitimately) was more challenging than any course I took as an undergrad. The IE exam is ten times worse. Not a cake walk.
I was just quoting a post I read here. I didnt mean for it to come off as easy.

Daps
Reppin
MD
Finally took a CEH training course. It wasn't as difficult or boring as I expected. This guy Joe McCray is the truth when it comes to teaching pentesting. Watch his youtube channel and search for any conferences he speaks at dude is the truth.

Joseph McCray

Hacktivity 2012

how many years of security experience do you have? Do you think I should skip the sscp and just take the CEH?

Daps
You need all 3 or each one moves you up?

You dont need any per se. ANd just getting a cert doesnt move you up.

Certs gets you through HR screens. Thats it. After that, you need to know your shyt and prove your worth and experience.

Having said that, if you get a higher cert usually the lower ones wont matter. If you have an MCSE, having an A+ as well wont make a bit of difference.

Rozay Oro

2 Peter 3:9 if you don’t know God
Supporter
Daps
You dont need any per se. ANd just getting a cert doesnt move you up.

Certs gets you through HR screens. Thats it. After that, you need to know your shyt and prove your worth and experience.

Having said that, if you get a higher cert usually the lower ones wont matter. If you have an MCSE, having an A+ as well wont make a bit of difference.
I have no problem learning what's needed just simply don't want to waste time if HR just overlooks my application. I'm guessing MCSE is another low level cert? Got more wisdom to share?

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
I have no problem learning what's needed just simply don't want to waste time if HR just overlooks my application. I'm guessing MCSE is another low level cert? Got more wisdom to share?
MCSE Is an experienced level cert. A MCSE with no experience looks suspect.

Daps
Some HR departments will overlook it and some wont. Again it all depends on where you live and how the job market is. Your best bet is to look at job descriptions for the jobs you want. See what they are looking for. Then, go get what they are looking for. Once you got like at least 30% of that, apply. If you can get to the interview you can talk your way into the job.

And if you have no problem learning whats needed, start doing that. On your own time.

JT-Money

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
how many years of security experience do you have? Do you think I should skip the sscp and just take the CEH?

I've got about 5 years IT Security experience. And I wouldn't take the SSCP simply because I hardly see any company's asking for it. The CEH is probably easier to pass and is more well known but does have a bad reputation. Pentesting is mandated annually for lots of Industries so I don't see demand going down any time soon.

Daps
Reppin
MD
I've got about 5 years IT Security experience. And I wouldn't take the SSCP simply because I hardly see any company's asking for it. The CEH is probably easier to pass and is more well known but does have a bad reputation. Pentesting is mandated annually for lots of Industries so I don't see demand going down any time soon.
My only issue is, I only have 1 year of security experience and they CEH requires 2 years unless you take their boot camp which I'm not trying to pay for. I heard from 2 people that the CEH was super easy to pass. What was actually covered in the book camp?

Daps
My only issue is, I only have 1 year of security experience and they CEH requires 2 years unless you take their boot camp which I'm not trying to pay for. I heard from 2 people that the CEH was super easy to pass. What was actually covered in the book camp?
If you dont have have the experience yet, and dont have say a CCNA those base certs might be worth your time. That stuff will help you when studying security topics.

Daps
Reppin
MD
If you dont have have the experience yet, and dont have say a CCNA those base certs might be worth your time. That stuff will help you when studying security topics.
I have my security+ already and I know networking but my current job really doesn't require it so I haven't had any motivation to take it.

Daps
I have my security+ already and I know networking but my current job really doesn't require it so I haven't had any motivation to take it.
but do you have your CCNA? That probably will help you more right now then CEH. There arent a ton of entry level security jobs. But there are a ton of jobs asking for CCNA that you could learn some security stuff on.

Daps
Reppin
MD
but do you have your CCNA? That probably will help you more right now then CEH. There arent a ton of entry level security jobs. But there are a ton of jobs asking for CCNA that you could learn some security stuff on.
No I don't. I'm kind of in a weird spot because I have a security analyst job right now doing GRC, SSP, risk assessment, and vulnerability assessment. I'm trying to get a more technical role but not trying to take a drop in pay to do so.