IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Sypress

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I'm going on a medical leave of absence this week
don't ask :mjcry:

And I'll be gone for a couple of weeks from my busy ass job. Since I'll have nothing but time in my hands, thought I would take advantage and start studying something I enjoy.

I've done some reading through this thread but I would like some better direction

Where do I start? So many different fields talked about here, I wouldn't know where to look at first

Help brehs :mjcry:

se1f_made

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I'm going on a medical leave of absence this week
don't ask :mjcry:

And I'll be gone for a couple of weeks from my busy ass job. Since I'll have nothing but time in my hands, thought I would take advantage and start studying something I enjoy.

I've done some reading through this thread but I would like some better direction

Where do I start? So many different fields talked about here, I wouldn't know where to look at first

Help brehs :mjcry:
A lot of different paths but it's only 2 starts: development/programming or system support and helpdesk. If you chose helpdesk, study for the A+ and Network + to get started

Spin

All Star
Daps
Well Coli gang I finally landed a Desktop Support job :mjcry:. The best part is I won't be taking a pay cut! The IT team is rather small so I should be able to get some good experience. The manager knows I want to go into security and said he will make sure I get some practice.

Quick background for those that haven't followed, I passed the A+ and CCNA this year. I worked in a different field, but decided to finally make the move after procrastinating awhile back.

Some job advice for those looking to make a move. #1 get your resume in order. If you don't know what a IT resume looks like, find someone who does. Once I got my resume in order, things became easier. The A+ and CCNA I'm sure helped get past screeners and front line HR people, but I was never asked about them in any technical interview. The best recruiters I had interactions with were through Dice. To take it one step further, the best recruiters on Dice were ones that actually contacted me after just finding my resume on there. I received much less callbacks from the actual positions I applied for on Dice.

As good as Dice and some of the job boards are, I actually landed my interview through LinkedIn. I found a job listing on a website and then went to LinkedIn and messaged the IT Manager. I would recommend anyone looking to make a move to get a LinkedIn premium account. I believe since the job was newly posted and I got in contact with the hiring manager, I didn't have much competition from other candidates. Since it's so easy to press click and apply to many jobs at one time, finding a way to cut off your competition is key.

Lastly, I have recently signed up at linuxacademy to learn linux. Before getting into Kali Linux for security, I wanted to learn how to use the OS in general. I will say I have had more fun studying on linuxacademy than I did during my CCNA and A+ studying days. I'm considering going for the Red Hat certification now, but I still need to get the Security + or CCNA Security. If you're interested in AWS, linuxacademy has a whole section for that too.

GollyImGully

Too many wavy women, gotta log outta IG
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
Well Coli gang I finally landed a Desktop Support job :mjcry:. The best part is I won't be taking a pay cut! The IT team is rather small so I should be able to get some good experience. The manager knows I want to go into security and said he will make sure I get some practice.

Quick background for those that haven't followed, I passed the A+ and CCNA this year. I worked in a different field, but decided to finally make the move after procrastinating awhile back.

Some job advice for those looking to make a move. #1 get your resume in order. If you don't know what a IT resume looks like, find someone who does. Once I got my resume in order, things became easier. The A+ and CCNA I'm sure helped get past screeners and front line HR people, but I was never asked about them in any technical interview. The best recruiters I had interactions with were through Dice. To take it one step further, the best recruiters on Dice were ones that actually contacted me after just finding my resume on there. I received much less callbacks from the actual positions I applied for on Dice.

As good as Dice and some of the job boards are, I actually landed my interview through LinkedIn. I found a job listing on a website and then went to LinkedIn and messaged the IT Manager. I would recommend anyone looking to make a move to get a LinkedIn premium account. I believe since the job was newly posted and I got in contact with the hiring manager, I didn't have much competition from other candidates. Since it's so easy to press click and apply to many jobs at one time, finding a way to cut off your competition is key.

Lastly, I have recently signed up at linuxacademy to learn linux. Before getting into Kali Linux for security, I wanted to learn how to use the OS in general. I will say I have had more fun studying on linuxacademy than I did during my CCNA and A+ studying days. I'm considering going for the Red Hat certification now, but I still need to get the Security + or CCNA Security. If you're interested in AWS, linuxacademy has a whole section for that too.

congrats :blessed::salute:

↓R↑LYB

I trained Sheng Long and Shonuff
Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan

Congrats breh, the hardest part is out the way. Work there for 12-18 months, learn everything you can, pick up some mid level certifications on the way, then bounce for a better gig.

Also make sure you have a career plan. Don't sit on your ass waiting for your employer to promote you or give up a raise. Your raises and promotions come from getting a new job. Stay focused and you'll be making wild bread and turning down six figure jobs on the regular.

This isn't even a third of the e-mails I received today :wow:

58TJUsje.png