IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

thaKEAF

#grizzlies #titans
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Memphis
I need one of you guys who are in management to help a breh out. I have to get someone who is a manager in my field of study to answer a few questions for an assignment. It'll ask for your name and company and you will sign a confidentiality clause but if you don't feel comfortable I couldn't care less if you just use a fake name and fake company name. Thanks :salute:

se1f_made

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Congrats breh, the hardest part is out the way. Work there for 12-18 months, learn everything you can, pick up some mid level certifications on the way, then bounce for a better gig.

Also make sure you have a career plan. Don't sit on your ass waiting for your employer to promote you or give up a raise. Your raises and promotions come from getting a new job. Stay focused and you'll be making wild bread and turning down six figure jobs on the regular.

This isn't even a third of the e-mails I received today :wow:

Breh I turned down a $20k raise as a system engineer where the IT manager was another laid back cool black guy just to stay where I'm at now and I'm regretting that decision daily. Lesson learned: don't be afraid to move on

Daps
Congrats breh, the hardest part is out the way. Work there for 12-18 months, learn everything you can, pick up some mid level certifications on the way, then bounce for a better gig.

Also make sure you have a career plan. Don't sit on your ass waiting for your employer to promote you or give up a raise. Your raises and promotions come from getting a new job. Stay focused and you'll be making wild bread and turning down six figure jobs on the regular.

This isn't even a third of the e-mails I received today :wow:
How are they finding you? Through job boards, LinkedIn, or something I may not know of? :jbhmm:

GollyImGully

Too many wavy women, gotta log outta IG
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
Breh I turned down a $20k raise as a system engineer where the IT manager was another laid back cool black guy just to stay where I'm at now and I'm regretting that decision daily. Lesson learned: don't be afraid to move on
What made u stay? :dahell:

se1f_made

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
What made u stay? :dahell:
My current job is in walking distance and the other would've been a 20-45 minute commute each way depending on traffic and it was a role that would've basically been lateral, my goal is to get into devops where the earning ceiling is a little higher

Edit: it was my decision but I did too much consulting with friends and fam. I'm sure they want the best for me but some decisions have to be made on your own

se1f_made

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Yea breh I know it was the wrong decision, trust me I've been thinking about it a lot. But the only way to right it is to continue to pursue my dreams and the value amount that would make me semi content ($135-140k). This shyt is just motivation breh, besides this was the omen that I needed to finally make the move to a bigger city (ATL, Dallas, Houston) as a early 30 something bachelor instead of spending my prime in ole dusty ass Birmingham

Edit: just for motivation purposes only but I'm at $83k annually, job I turned down was gonna give me $94k + bonuses

• Dap
Reactions: Czr

TRFG

Not who you think
Daps
I applied to some internships basically for the job that I do right now part time at my college and them bytches just emailed me back telling me I'm not competitive enough to make it to the second round. Thing is my resume has about 2 years of IT work (when you combine internships) :dahell:

:mjpls:

se1f_made

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I applied to some internships basically for the job that I do right now part time and them bytches just emailed me back telling me I'm not competitive enough :dahell:

:mjpls:
fukk em breh, I had an internship at a tech company at the end of my senior year and them fools wouldn't offer me a full time job, there's plenty other places that'll recognize your potential...go find em