IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
Yea breh I know it was the wrong decision, trust me I've been thinking about it a lot. But the only way to right it is to continue to pursue my dreams and the value amount that would make me semi content ($135-140k). This shyt is just motivation breh, besides this was the omen that I needed to finally make the move to a bigger city (ATL, Dallas, Houston) as a early 30 something bachelor instead of spending my prime in ole dusty ass Birmingham

Edit: just for motivation purposes only but I'm at $83k annually, job I turned down was gonna give me $94k + bonuses

Lol hell nah. DevOps aint a job title its a way of thinking just like Agile. Typically you get into a "devops" role when you are experienced in numerous areas. The issue right now in IT is DevOps is a buzzword just like agile where nobody understands it but want to claim they do it because its hot in the streets. Like when companies create DevOps Engineer roles and crap like thay.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
I applied to some internships basically for the job that I do right now part time at my college and them bytches just emailed me back telling me I'm not competitive enough to make it to the second round. Thing is my resume has about 2 years of IT work (when you combine internships) :dahell:

:mjpls:

Let this be a lesson to expect nothkng from nobody and be loyal to nobody but yourself.

I had a situation where I made it to a final interview and cats were even asking if i was excited to be going to cali for 6 months of training and i still aint get the job

TRFG

Not who you think
Daps
fukk em breh, I had an internship at a tech company at the end of my senior year and them fools wouldn't offer me a full time job, there's plenty other places that'll recognize your potential...go find em

Man the crazy thing is I posted my resume on the IT subreddit and this IT hiring manager told me it looks good and to contact him closer to summer regarding an internship and today I got to hear this shyt :mjcry:

se1f_made

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Lol hell nah. DevOps aint a job title its a way of thinking just like Agile. Typically you get into a "devops" role when you are experienced in numerous areas. The issue right now in IT is DevOps is a buzzword just like agile where nobody understands it but want to claim they do it because its hot in the streets. Like when companies create DevOps Engineer roles and crap like thay.

I agree with you in that "devops" being a combination of roles and skillsets that vary from org to org (same as systems engineer and sysadmin, and yea I'm famialar with the Phoenix project) however you're wrong about it not being a title, position and general job description. It's exactly what is sounds as, an engineer responsible exclusively for the dev side of business needs. Generally they're responsible for the configuration and deployment of VMs in dev enviorments (or train or test or prod) using deployment tools

se1f_made

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Man the crazy thing is I posted my resume on the IT subreddit and this IT hiring manager told me it looks good and to contact him closer to summer regarding an internship and today I got to hear this shyt :mjcry:
It's a dirty game my g but I've learned that u can't catch feelings because the folks u deal with are already flaky as hell. Just use it as steam to power your dreams and continue to work hard studying

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
I agree with you in that "devops" being a combination of roles and skillsets that vary from org to org (same as systems engineer and sysadmin, and yea I'm famialar with the Phoenix project) however you're wrong about it not being a title, position and general job description. It's exactly what is sounds as, an engineer responsible exclusively for the dev side of business needs. Generally they're responsible for the configuration and deployment of VMs in dev enviorments (or train or test or prod) using deployment tools
:mjlol:

The people who created the concept will tell you devops isnt a role and attaching the title to a role is a sign the org doesnt even know what devops is
:russ:

Its literally a belief to break down silos and increase collaboration, its an evolution from Agile. You never saw roles called "agile engineer" did you?

The fact you think devops has anything to do with VMs shows you are buying into the hype.

se1f_made

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
:mjlol:

The people who created the concept will tell you devops isnt a role and attaching the title to a role is a sign the org doesnt even know what devops is
:russ:

Its literally a belief to break down silos and increase collaboration, its an evolution from Agile. You never saw roles called "agile engineer" did you?

The fact you think devops has anything to do with VMs shows you are buying into the hype.
I get what you're trying to say, yea it's all roles blended into one, what job title would one have if their responsibility is to deploy and configure nodes using tools such as chef, puppet, ansible and vagrant?:patrice:

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
I get what you're trying to say, yea it's all roles blended into one, what job title would one have if their responsibility is to deploy and configure nodes using tools such as chef, puppet, ansible and vagrant?:patrice:
Site relaibility engineer i believe is the title but companies who dont know anything call it devops engineer. In theory with devops you have people from the dev side and ops side workjng as a team instead of seperately. Naturally the people should pick up some of the skills of the other side, not at an expert level but good enough where they consider the other side (dev or ops) in their work.

End goal is more efficiency plus quality work which should result in less issues.

Being on the dev side ive literally seen devs create some BS and not care because production support will fix it once it reaches the customers :russ:

se1f_made

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Title could be a cloud engineer also.

But both of you are right IMO..Its such a mash up of a lot of things.
Agreed, we could argue all day because there is no "real" definition but I'd like to do something along the lines of what I previously mentioned and eventually work in an AWS shop

ViShawn

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Just got this in the mail. Really will help me on systems performance

0133390098.jpg

ViShawn

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
What's your current job function and what are you planning to do in the future?

Site Reliability Engineer. I specialize in object storage. Typically a SRE should do 50% Development (as in configuration management) and 50% Operations. Right now it seems lopsided where the majority of my work and for the rest of the team is Operations work and managing our large storage products. I also help the software developers and QE teams with their testing.

I'd like to improve my programming skills as those are not up to par as my systems skills.

Perhaps keep doing that and work on some interesting projects. Being a solid programmer really helps your career prospects.

If not that, then of course management is an option. I'm in a good spot though. High salary, work remote. I really can't complain but I cannot be complacent in this market hence why I always feel like I need to study!

se1f_made

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Site Reliability Engineer. I specialize in object storage. Typically a SRE should do 50% Development (as in configuration management) and 50% Operations. Right now it seems lopsided where the majority of my work and for the rest of the team is Operations work and managing our large storage products. I also help the software developers and QE teams with their testing.

I'd like to improve my programming skills as those are not up to par as my systems skills.

Perhaps keep doing that and work on some interesting projects. Being a solid programmer really helps your career prospects.

If not that, then of course management is an option. I'm in a good spot though. High salary, work remote. I really can't complain but I cannot be complacent in this market hence why I always feel like I need to study!
Any truth to the rumors of storage related jobs being obsolete in the future? I've been working with SAN storage for the last year at my latest gig