IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Silkk

Thats My Quarterback :to:
Daps
Think im gonna sign up for one of these code groups on meetup

el_oh_el

Bulls On Parade...
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
I feel trapped brehs.
This MSP is working the DOG shyt outta me. I have 2 switches, 2 routers, a meraki device and 3 APs configure within the next two weeks, along with ticket flow form north and south branches. The north branch no longer has a network engineer so most of that shyt flows to me. Keep in mind they are only paying me 55k.
Been applying left and right but im not finding shyt. Im thinking the Houston market is catering to CCNP and higher due to a lack of IT jobs...
Might need to start looking to move. Any suggestions?

RubioTheCruel

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, NY
I feel trapped brehs.
This MSP is working the DOG shyt outta me. I have 2 switches, 2 routers, a meraki device and 3 APs configure within the next two weeks, along with ticket flow form north and south branches. The north branch no longer has a network engineer so most of that shyt flows to me. Keep in mind they are only paying me 55k.
Been applying left and right but im not finding shyt. Im thinking the Houston market is catering to CCNP and higher due to a lack of IT jobs...
Might need to start looking to move. Any suggestions?

That's MSP life breh. They're notoriously high turnover. I worked at one for little over a year. I don't regret it as I learned a whole lot; but I would never go back to work at an MSP unless I had an ownership stake in it.

scarlxrd

Underground
Supporter
Daps
Any brehs proficient in C#? I'm looking to stack some certs up so I'm trying to get some advice. Help a breh out. :feedme:

acri1

The Chosen 1
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
I have questions for the black IT Cert gang.

1. Was it hard finding a job in this field as a black person?

2. As a black person, is going in the IT field the right direction? What I mean by that is, is it worth going through all the trouble for the field?

3. What are the tips for getting jobs in the entry-level IT positions?

4. Do employers care about your first name? (I know there's discrimination in every field)

I'm asking all of this because I've been job searching entry-level IT related work (anything to do with Microsoft Excel and Word atm) and I'm getting no call backs. So I'm going to be honest and say I am slightly, if not more so discouraged lately. I'm starting to wonder if it's my name, and other factors. and if I should give up on pursuing this career and probably do STNA (I don't want to, but it seems I see more people who look like me there than in any field I can think of atm)

To be honest, it's very frustrating. But I was wondering if any of you could point me in the right direction.

Please and thank you! :salute:

1. Depends on what you mean by "a job in the field". Wasn't too hard for me to find a basic $10/hr tech support job when I was 20...didn't have a degree/certs at the time either, just some IT classes in college and they could tell I was obviously competent from my interview. What is hard though is moving up to a decent job. Fukk around and you could spend years and years resetting passwords.

2. Again, it depends on whether you like IT and are naturally good with computers, just like with any industry. It's a great field if you're naturally inclined towards computers, but I wouldn't go into it just for the money.

3. Have a good resume and be able to answer basic computer questions (one question I got asked in my first interview was how I'd explain to a customer what a driver was...definitely aced that question). Also take some IT classes at your local community college if you're not in school. Not only for the knowledge, but also to network with other people in the industry. Good chance somebody (whether it's a professor or fellow student) already works in IT and might be able to hook you up with a job interview.

4. Can't call that one, I'm sure some do. I'd say IT is just like any other field in that regard.

Main thing is to make sure you apply for jobs you're qualified for. If you're applying for network engineering or high level tech support jobs and you have no experience then you're not gonna get a call back. I'd apply for basic low-level tech support rep/helpdesk technician jobs and try to work your way up. Also, have somebody look at your resume...top cause of not getting a call back is having a shytty resume that doesn't emphasize your tech experience.

RubioTheCruel

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, NY
Gotcha, yeah I`m familiar with it having been in consulting.

Yeah, I did a stint at one a few years back. Generally speaking it was a horrible experience, but my skillset exponentially increased. I was brought on to do project work for clients, but I'd say 70% of my day was acting as an escalation point for the help desk. Mind you, this is a perpetually understaffed service desk that is very high turnover(I think we went through 3-4 guys in a 14 month period) and all the while Sales/Marketing are onboarding more clients for us to support when we're barely able to support the clients we do have. They don't care though, they just want the contracts signed. One of my buddies described it as an IT sweatshop, which is pretty apt in my experience.