IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

FastEddie215

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
Philly
@bdizzle im studying for both the microsoft 70-680 and 70-685 exam right now...does it matter which one I pass first? or are they both looked at as equal when an employer checks out my resume to decide whether they want to hire me, just curious

Last edited by a moderator:

Regular Developer

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
Over on the Physics Forums, someone said that it's not a good idea to list which programming languages you know on a resume or job application because it shows that you're not a good programmer. He said that what employers really want to know that you can pick up a new language in a relatively short period of time.

My question is, isn't listing which languages you're familiar with accomplishing that exact goal? So if I tell an employer that I know C++, Java, or Matlab, it indicates that I should have an easier time picking up, say, PHP, Visual Basic, or R?

Psh, sounds like a failed job application waiting to happen. One of the things you want at the top of your resume is what programming languages you know. When a a company is looking through resumes, one of the first things they want to know is what programming skills you have, which will be achieved by the list you mentioned, as well as project experience. If they want an idea of if your trainable or if you can pick stuff quickly, that's when they'll interview you. Just make sure you know something about all those languages. Cause if its on your resume, you will get a question about it.

I'm speaking from a programming job point of view. Maybe physicists care about different things when hiring a programmer.

↓R↑LYB

I trained Sheng Long and Shonuff
Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan
@bdizzle im studying for both the microsoft 70-680 and 70-685 exam right now...does it matter which one I pass first? or are they both looked at as equal when an employer checks out my resume to decide whether they want to hire me, just curious

Start with the 680 first, it applies to multiple certs. The 685 doesn't. The 680 will get you the MCP so you gucci

Last edited by a moderator:

Regular Developer

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
Gotta give props to BDizzle of course. I'm liking the knowledge being dropped in here. I'm hoping to get my education of the programming field up to that level so that we can get that path covered as well.

↓R↑LYB

Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan
Gotta give props to BDizzle of course. I'm liking the knowledge being dropped in here. I'm hoping to get my education of the programming field up to that level so that we can get that path covered as well.

Was wondering when some programmers were gonna come through and crush the buildings. My ex's pops was a developer. Dude used to travel the country. He wouldn't leave the crib for less than 6 figures.

Regular Developer

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
Was wondering when some programmers were gonna come through and crush the buildings. My ex's pops was a developer. Dude used to travel the country. He wouldn't leave the crib for less than 6 figures.

Word man. Gotta love VPN technology, though. I'm getting closer to that realm of being a traveling consultant, but I'm enjoying the steadiness of staying in one place. Just thought I'd contribute, since there is a huge lack of black/hispanic people in this realm. And its funny, cause its not such a race based field.

↓R↑LYB

Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan
Word man. Gotta love VPN technology, though. I'm getting closer to that realm of being a traveling consultant, but I'm enjoying the steadiness of staying in one place. Just thought I'd contribute, since there is a huge lack of black/hispanic people in this realm. And its funny, cause its not such a race based field.

Next year I'm planning on starting my non profit to get blacks in the IT game. Before I die, IT is gonna be a black industry. That's gonna be my legacy.

↓R↑LYB

Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan
:salute: I'm tryna be like you breh. lol.

Don't be like me breh, be like based god

tumblr_lkbuznzR0Q1qa6kqao1_500.jpg

Data-Hawk

I have no strings on me.
Daps
Reppin
Oasis
":jawalrus: all these jobs is gonna be on my dikk, watch b."

Got damn, you just described me :russ: After I passed the A+ I was like alright where's that 50K job at now......ok let me get this Network+ out the way, they are sure to be coming:stopitslime:. Ok look once I get the MCP they are going to be blowing up my phone.:laff:

Edit: whats crazy is I didnt even read your entire post...just up to the part I quoted..and you said the same shyt I did.

Data-Hawk

I have no strings on me.
Daps
Reppin
Oasis
Psh, sounds like a failed job application waiting to happen. One of the things you want at the top of your resume is what programming languages you know. When a a company is looking through resumes, one of the first things they want to know is what programming skills you have, which will be achieved by the list you mentioned, as well as project experience. If they want an idea of if your trainable or if you can pick stuff quickly, that's when they'll interview you. Just make sure you know something about all those languages. Cause if its on your resume, you will get a question about it.

I'm speaking from a programming job point of view. Maybe physicists care about different things when hiring a programmer.

I agree with the above, I mean you dont want to outright say I know VB.NET/C#/Java/HTML" you want things to be project based. I completed X project, project dealt with .NET etc etc"

I mean at the core all programming language( outside of Assembly Language ) share similarities. But that dont mean you can just easily switch from one language to the next if you've been developing in one language for a while.

If i'm hiring a developer for a project that deals with .NET , I'd like to see that on your resume, You'd have a better chance over somebody who only knows JAVA. Theres more to hiring the candiate, but you want every little bit to help

((ReFleXioN)) EteRNaL

RIP MR. SMOKE
Daps
Got damn, you just described me :russ: After I passed the A+ I was like alright where's that 50K job at now......ok let me get this Network+ out the way, they are sure to be coming:stopitslime:. Ok look once I get the MCP they are going to be blowing up my phone.:laff:

Edit: whats crazy is I didnt even read your entire post...just up to the part I quoted..and you said the same shyt I did.
alright but say I at least start going to school. will that look better on my resumes?...thinkin about starting at my local community college part time. and what classes should I look into taking starting out?...I want classes that will really help me and give me some type of advantage going into an entry level job.

acri1

The Chosen 1
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
alright but say I at least start going to school. will that look better on my resumes?...thinkin about starting at my local community college part time.

Depends on who you ask, but IMO if you have no experience then a degree>certs, even if it's an associates.

Most helpdesk jobs I see want at AS in something IT-related. You might be able to get in without a degree, but if you have one it'll be way easier to get interviews IMO. At my last helpdesk job they didn't interview anybody without at least an associates, it was a requirement. :manny:

If you do start taking classes, you should try to actually finish your degree at some point though. Also be sure you network with people. A lot of people that teach IT classes at community colleges actually work in IT at their day jobs (or used to) and know people. They just might hook you up with a job, or at the very least a good reference from someone in the industry.

Data-Hawk

I have no strings on me.
Daps
Reppin
Oasis
alright but say I at least start going to school. will that look better on my resumes?...thinkin about starting at my local community college part time. and what classes should I look into taking starting out?...I want classes that will really help me and give me some type of advantage going into an entry level job.

Just the fact that you are in school helps, plus Help Desks tend to have a high turn-over rate. Most people who i've come across @ the help desk level dont know shyt about computers, they have customer servce experience.

Trust me, if you have A+ level knowledge you are ahead of the game..lol I was a Computer Sci major so i'm not that familar with IT degrees. So take *any* class that you are required to take. The key is being able to teach yourself, I was setting up Apache servers when I was 16 on a 56k modem(:what:) that was better experience then any class I've ever taken.

Start hitting up temp agencies, thats how I started out, on 3 - 6 month contracts, the pay sucked but I was only there for the experience.I even applied to Geek Squad, just take whatever you can get.