IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

se1f_made

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Yeah I plan to stay for 6mos but I still want to learn how to script and everything. I feel you on help desk work I used to troubleshoot dsl for att breh. I have the battle scars to prove it :wow:

Helpdesk will make u appreciate what u had to go through to get there. Not saying that its impossible, but lets be realistic here..how many people actually move on to bigger and better roles after only 6 months at the helpdesk?

↓R↑LYB

I trained Sheng Long and Shonuff
Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan
how does my advice hurt him from getting out of the HD? if anything im trying to give him things to throw on his resume to get out of there. unless you suggest he should just gang up on certs.

it was a joke breh, i don't want no beef :whoa:

Damn, that's crazy :laugh:. But yea, I'm black :whew:

Also, I didn't mean the bolded in a way that infers I knew more about setting up networks than people that have actually studied, and went out and got those certs. I was saying, while I do have a understanding of networking (from each of those sides mentioned even), its not what I like to do. It doesn't have my interest like programming.

The reason I like programming is because you can make your own way if your skills are cold enough. It challenges you to keep learning and growing.

Good luck in the programming game. I learned long ago that I wasn't bout dat life.

GPO and Certificates. Eating well is the motivation, gotta accomplish this and get the bread dawg

The dopest book I ever read on GPO was this

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Profiles-IntelliMirror-Windows2003-WindowsXP-Administrator/dp/0782144470/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1354309049&sr=8-2&keywords=mark+minasi+group+policy]Group Policy, Profiles, and IntelliMirror for Windows2003, WindowsXP, and Windows 2000 (Mark Minasi Windows Administrator Library): Jeremy Moskowitz: 9780782144475: Amazon.com: Books[/ame]

It's an older book, but by the time I was done I was a beast with GPOs. You can buy it for a penny off Amazon. What's tripping you up specifically?

Also throw up a VM and start playing with it. Makes learning the concepts way easier.

Also this book helped me understand AD CS and certificates. I read through it in like 2 days. It's a real easy read IMO.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Windows-Server-Certificate-Security-Publisher/dp/B00854FQWA/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1354309260&sr=1-3&keywords=microsoft+press+pki]Windows Server 2008 PKI and Certificate Security Publisher: Microsoft Press: -N/A-: Amazon.com: Books[/ame]

You can find the PDF for it online. If you can't PM me and I'll send it to you

Yeah I plan to stay for 6mos but I still want to learn how to script and everything. I feel you on help desk work I used to troubleshoot dsl for att breh. I have the battle scars to prove it :wow:

Damn, from phone support to help desk. Ima pray for you breh :to:

Off topic, but I used to play you in HD Remix back in the day :leostare:. On PSN I think. You might still be on my friends list.

Data-Hawk

I have no strings on me.
Daps
Reppin
Oasis
it was a joke breh, i don't want no beef :whoa:

Good luck in the programming game. I learned long ago that I wasn't bout dat life.

The dopest book I ever read on GPO was this

Group Policy, Profiles, and IntelliMirror for Windows2003, WindowsXP, and Windows 2000 (Mark Minasi Windows Administrator Library): Jeremy Moskowitz: 9780782144475: Amazon.com: Books

It's an older book, but by the time I was done I was a beast with GPOs. You can buy it for a penny off Amazon. What's tripping you up specifically?

Also throw up a VM and start playing with it. Makes learning the concepts way easier.

Also this book helped me understand AD CS and certificates. I read through it in like 2 days. It's a real easy read IMO.

Windows Server 2008 PKI and Certificate Security Publisher: Microsoft Press: -N/A-: Amazon.com: Books

You can find the PDF for it online. If you can't PM me and I'll send it to you

Damn, from phone support to help desk. Ima pray for you breh :to:

Off topic, but I used to play you in HD Remix back in the day :leostare:. On PSN I think. You might still be on my friends list.

my bad breh

King Sun

Big Boss
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Helpdesk will make u appreciate what u had to go through to get there. Not saying that its impossible, but lets be realistic here..how many people actually move on to bigger and better roles after only 6 months at the helpdesk?

I meant 6mos in arizona and im looking to make a laterial move to the dallas or atl location. I know ill be here for a good 1yr or 2 and im okay with that

Regular Developer

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
As far as prospects for Developers, as long as your willing to learn, adapt, and possibly move, you're in good shape. O, and you have to prove competence.

• DBAs are highly sought after. If you can learn more about databases, and not just sql, you'll have a better chance at landing on of these positions (or so i think, I haven't done any DBA jobs, but I have experience working with them)
  • Im not sure which on it is, DBAs or DA, but one of those will require you to know how to properly put together a database. This is something that I am not sure is taught in school on the regular. You'll need to understand topics such as Normalization, Entity-Relationship modelling, and the different ways of storing history, just to name a few. (DBA=Database Architect, DA= Data Architect)
  • Certifications arent' as important as getting your foot in the door. For the most part, its so easy to pickup a programming language that all you need to do is prove you are competent in order to land a job at the entry or junior level. They may or may not help later on, depending on whether it is a niche language or not. They won't hurt, can tell you that much
  • From the app dev side, know your basic programming best practices and methodologies. Know your 4-pillars of OO prgramming if you're looking lfor an OO type job. Know the proper syntax for the language you are developing in. Know what a postback is if you're looking for a .Net job. its simple things that are easy when you do them everyday, but difficult to remember if you only read it online.

There is cake to be made on the programming/scripting side, but you're going to have to be flexible in order to have that job security. A lot of the more experienced developers complain about not being able to find jobs, but the jobs they are good at are not as sought after a the newer languages.

krexzen

All Star
Daps
I keep hearing about powershell and scripting. Does anyone have any good books to recommend?

↓R↑LYB

I trained Sheng Long and Shonuff
Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan
I keep hearing about powershell and scripting. Does anyone have any good books to recommend?

Sadly every book I've come across for powershell was ass. The only way to learn is to just start using it. This was one of the first sites I used when I started learning it

PowerShell Tutorial - Windows PowerShell Console | PowerShell Pro!

Lots of good stuff on there to get started. Just go through all 12 tutorials. By the time you're done you should have a pretty decent idea on how to work with the scripting language

Silkk

Thats My Quarterback :to:
Daps
Don't listen to this dude, you're only goal should be to get the fukk up outta help desk. Even if that means you gotta sell your a$$hole and scuff your knee caps up in the process. Anything pass 6 months and I guarantee you're gonna be ready to commit suicide :damn:

:laff:

McTwerk

Dreams and Nightmares
Daps
Reppin
In the Cloud

Check this out:

The Command Line Crash Course Controlling Your Computer From The Terminal

It is an intro to CLI for Linux\Powershell with examples for both with many excersizes and examples....best part...it is free.

I used their Learn Python The Hard Way free HTML guide to teach myself some Python programming and will do the same for Ruby.
They offer a few flavors of CLI and languages....all for free.

Hands down one of the best, self-paced training guides you will find.

McTwerk

Dreams and Nightmares
Daps
Reppin
In the Cloud
I am taking a 5 day Certified Ethical Hacker class\test in Jan compliments of my employer :mj::win:

I will report back how the class was and how the test goes.
Wish me luck...

G-Zeus

G-Zeus Chrystler...the brehsident
Daps
Reppin
Brehsident evil
on my way to ccna recertification..

just passed ccent..

going all the way to ccnp voice (my current job)
then ccna security
then ccnp (since its only 3 exams)

and so i can launch my side hustle job.. CCDA

i am doing all those because the company i work for might not get the client i support there whole voice network back...

i came in last year mid year and :cape: the voice side..

but the damage was already done :no:

also i am hoping all those certs will make them stay... cuz i love my job..

i work from hom 75% of the time. even right now.

*edit*

dropping CCNP for CCDP

Silkk

Thats My Quarterback :to:
Daps
Real talk this thread keeps me motivated. :wow:

Bless this thread yall.

IT is such a :mjpls: industry when i see other brothers doing good in the game keeps me motivated. :salute:

I been slipping, but yea this thread does light a fire :whoo: