IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

FreshFromATL

Self Made
Daps
Reppin
ATL
Brehs, lets say someone knows SQL (across many RDBMS such as Oracle, MySQL, Sybase, etc.), knows Unix, and knows Python, C, C# programming languages....

What are the job prospects looking like?

gldnone913

Integrity and Consistency
Daps
Reppin
VA
Brehs, lets say someone knows SQL (across many RDBMS such as Oracle, MySQL, Sybase, etc.), knows Unix, and knows Python, C, C# programming languages....

folks are always looking for database guys. hell, SQL guys are making a killing right now. even Microsoft is looking for highly experienced SQL folks. databases are what its all about.....last job i worked, the DBA made the most money and he did whatever the hell he wanted lmao.

↓R↑LYB

I trained Sheng Long and Shonuff
Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan

folks are always looking for database guys. hell, SQL guys are making a killing right now. even Microsoft is looking for highly experienced SQL folks. databases are what its all about.....last job i worked, the DBA made the most money and he did whatever the hell he wanted lmao.

Let's put that into perspective breh. You can make wild bread anywhere in IT, but only if you have the right experience (and enough years of it) and the right certs. Let's not have this dude think cause he knows how to write a basic SQL query he gonna be sitting on half a mil a year.

gldnone913

Integrity and Consistency
Daps
Reppin
VA
Let's put that into perspective breh. You can make wild bread anywhere in IT, but only if you have the right experience (and enough years of it) and the right certs. Let's not have this dude think cause he knows how to write a basic SQL query he gonna be sitting on half a mil a year.

right - thats why i said 'highly experienced'. talking w/ our Microsoft reps, they are hurting for SQL folks :manny:

i assumed he was asking about the job prospects, nothing more. thats all i was referring to.

↓R↑LYB

Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan
right - thats why i said 'highly experienced'. talking w/ our Microsoft reps, they are hurting for SQL folks :manny:

i assumed he was asking about the job prospects, nothing more. thats all i was referring to.

Ok I feel you. I ain't want that nikka start looking for 12,000 square ft mansions and going to the Bentley dealership over the thought of getting his first DBA gig :heh:

King Sun

Big Boss
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
So I took the gig in arizona for the tech job at state farm. Ill be the help desk for over 400 pcs in the call center and virtually throughout the other sites. ill be starting out at 35k but for my for IT job and I didn't even take the test to get my cert yet im just going to use this for experience

Data-Hawk

I have no strings on me.
Daps
Reppin
Oasis
So I took the gig in arizona for the tech job at state farm. Ill be the help desk for over 400 pcs in the call center and virtually throughout the other sites. ill be starting out at 35k but for my for IT job and I didn't even take the test to get my cert yet im just going to use this for experience

good stuff. the best advice i can give is to learn powershell/vbscript. look for processes that can be automated . something that takes 10 steps get it down to 5 steps. one thing im learning from our AVP is to be a numbers guy. how long did it take to do this/how much time did it save etc.

time = money.

is this your first IT job?

King Sun

Big Boss
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
good stuff. the best advice i can give is to learn powershell/vbscript. look for processes that can be automated . something that takes 10 steps get it down to 5 steps. one thing im learning from our AVP is to be a numbers guy. how long did it take to do this/how much time did it save etc.

time = money.

yes sir this will be my first true IT gig. Yes sir I want to learn everything I can possible and maximize the experience. Trying to milk this position for all its worth

FreshFromATL

Self Made
Daps
Reppin
ATL

shyt like creating databases, tables, and maintaining and securing them. Writing joins, constraints, unions, etc, basically being able to manipulate the entire databases. I know how to do the simple queries (select, where, update, delete, insert) aswell tho.

Also, I know programming and different languages...

I don't hold any certifications or anything because all of my knowledge is self-taught (downloading the right ebooks for free, downloading the right programs (for free), and setting them up on my cpu so I can practice A LOT at home, etc.). I mean, I know computers in and out, and I know how to set up networks and all, but I don't want to do that as a job, which is why I'm not interested in certs. I initially just wanted to learn a skill most people in the world couldn't learn for whatever reason, so I challenged myself to investigate and started learning A LOT of shyt, ended up liking it, and just kept learning. I've also learned of some of the benefits to being able to write codes and shyt :scheme:.

Right now, I'm getting familiar with the 'ruby' programming language.

↓R↑LYB

Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan
shyt like creating databases, tables, and maintaining and securing them. Writing joins, constraints, unions, etc, basically being able to manipulate the entire databases. I know how to do the simple queries (select, where, update, delete, insert) aswell tho.

Also I know programming and some languages a little more than most people.

I don't hold any certifications, all of my knowledge is self-taught (downloading the right ebooks for free, downloading the right programs (for free), and setting them up on my cpu, so I can practice A LOT at home, etc.). I mean, I know computers in and out, and I know how to set up networks and all, but I don't want to do that as a job, which is why I'm not interested in certs. I initially wanted to see why these white people and Indians were eating so good, so I challenged myself to see what they were doing and started learning A LOT of shyt, ended up liking it, and just kept learning. Right now, I'm getting familiar with the 'ruby' programming language.

I know this is off topic, but please don't ever say the bolded in an interview. You may know basic IP networking, but saying you know how to setup a network means something totally different. Unless you really are that cold and understand networking from the infrastructure, administration, security, and architecture side.

Cause you'll run into a nikka like me who'll go out his way to make your soul burn slow in an interview. And yes I've done it before :ufdup:

Unless your black then you'll get an automatic pass from ya boy :myman:

But on topic, IT (well outside of programming as far as I know) is a certification game. Mainly because the large vendors push certs as a way to make sure their product gets used in enterprises. But if your goal is to be a developer though, I wouldn't even begin to tell you which path to go down.

↓R↑LYB

Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan

time = money.

yes sir this will be my first true IT gig. Yes sir I want to learn everything I can possible and maximize the experience. Trying to milk this position for all its worth

Don't listen to this dude, you're only goal should be to get the fukk up outta help desk. Even if that means you gotta sell your a$$hole and scuff your knee caps up in the process. Anything pass 6 months and I guarantee you're gonna be ready to commit suicide :damn:

FreshFromATL

Self Made
Daps
Reppin
ATL
I know this is off topic, but please don't ever say the bolded in an interview. You may know basic IP networking, but saying you know how to setup a network means something totally different. Unless you really are that cold and understand networking from the infrastructure, administration, security, and architecture side.

Cause you'll run into a nikka like me who'll go out his way to make your soul burn slow in an interview. And yes I've done it before :ufdup:

Unless your black then you'll get an automatic pass from ya boy :myman:

But on topic, IT (well outside of programming as far as I know) is a certification game. Mainly because the large vendors push certs as a way to make sure their product gets used in enterprises. But if your goal is to be a developer though, I wouldn't even begin to tell you which path to go down.

Damn, that's crazy :laugh:. But yea, I'm black :whew:

Also, I didn't mean the bolded in a way that infers I knew more about setting up networks than people that have actually studied, and went out and got those certs. I was saying, while I do have a understanding of networking (from each of those sides mentioned even), its not what I like to do. It doesn't have my interest like programming.

The reason I like programming is because you can make your own way if your skills are cold enough. It challenges you to keep learning and growing.

Data-Hawk

I have no strings on me.
Daps
Reppin
Oasis
Don't listen to this dude, you're only goal should be to get the fukk up outta help desk. Even if that means you gotta sell your a$$hole and scuff your knee caps up in the process. Anything pass 6 months and I guarantee you're gonna be ready to commit suicide :damn:

how does my advice hurt him from getting out of the HD? if anything im trying to give him things to throw on his resume to get out of there. unless you suggest he should just gang up on certs.

se1f_made

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Good shyt breh :obama:

What's tripping you up? The design exams are the hardest IMO. The AD exams are just memorizing facts. The design exams want you to memorize how MS recommends doing shyt...Back in the Win 2000 MCSE days they used to call the design exam the beast :whoo:

GPO and Certificates. Eating well is the motivation, gotta accomplish this and get the bread dawg

King Sun

Big Boss
Supporter
Daps
Reppin

Yeah I plan to stay for 6mos but I still want to learn how to script and everything. I feel you on help desk work I used to troubleshoot dsl for att breh. I have the battle scars to prove it :wow: