IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

J Money

No weapon formed against me shall prosper
Daps
I`d get a Degree in something with a Universal Title imo when it comes to Bachelors. Comp Sci if you want to get into Programming and Info Technology/Computer Info Sys/Management Info Sys for Infrastructure and Project Management.

Are the entrance requirements the same? And what exactly are you trying to do?

I had a look and the entry requirements for all three of them are near enough the same and I completed my course with the necessary amount of credits to choose any of the three choices. Now i just have to hope that theres space available on the courses

In terms of what i want to do i've given it a lot of thought and my goal is to become a tech entrepreneur. Basically I have thought up a few ideas which involve creating a online trading platform as well as creating a few of my own electronics and I want to now get on the right course to gain the knowledge and connections to get me to my goal. Id be lying if i said I knew exactly how Im going to get there though if im honest so thought id ask if theres any coli brothas who could help a breh out

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
I had a look and the entry requirements for all three of them are near enough the same and I completed my course with the necessary amount of credits to choose any of the three choices. Now i just have to hope that theres space available on the courses

In terms of what i want to do i've given it a lot of thought and my goal is to become a tech entrepreneur. Basically I have thought up a few ideas which involve creating a online trading platform as well as creating a few of my own electronics and I want to now get on the right course to gain the knowledge and connections to get me to my goal. Id be lying if i said I knew exactly how Im going to get there though if im honest so thought id ask if theres any coli brothas who could help a breh out

IMO If you want to be an entrepreneur then I wouldn't even waste my time with a STEM degree OR just pick the easiest one/one with least math. You`d be better off getting a Business Degree and teaching yourself some PM Frameworks and then getting a job as a Project Coordinator then move into Project Management, as this will give you exposure on how projects run, because as an Entrepreneur you dont need to know what the "Grunt" technical staff do, you just need to understand project delivery.

J Money

Daps
IMO If you want to be an entrepreneur then I wouldn't even waste my time with a STEM degree OR just pick the easiest one/one with least math. You`d be better off getting a Business Degree and teaching yourself some PM Frameworks and then getting a job as a Project Coordinator then move into Project Management, as this will give you exposure on how projects run, because as an Entrepreneur you dont need to know what the "Grunt" technical staff do, you just need to understand project delivery.

That was actually my original plan funnily enough. I got accepted for an International business course and I chose that one because I can learn a new language along side the course and study abroad. THne i can teach myself something like you said further down the line and in a few years ill be set to eat good. Its just that i had some doubts in my mind and was considering changing it but do you think im okay with my current choice?

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
That was actually my original plan funnily enough. I got accepted for an International business course and I chose that one because I can learn a new language along side the course and study abroad. THne i can teach myself something like you said further down the line and in a few years ill be set to eat good. Its just that i had some doubts in my mind and was considering changing it but do you think im okay with my current choice?

A business Degree will give you flexibility as a recent grad to be able to apply for anything you see. The biggest thing you need to focus on is gaining capital (stacking your bread) and learning how business delivery services/projects. See what they are doing right and doing wrong, like I said as an entrepreneur you dont need to know the technical stuff because once you have the capital you can outsource that stuff for pennies on the dollar.Like I said Project and or Program Management will let you see the overall picture of how the business runs which is going to be much more important as an entrepreneur than taking dumb math classes or studying for some useless certs because all these things are nothing more than gatekeepers.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
Cool. My major is MIS/BIT and I'm working on the certs too.

What exactly are you trying to do? Right now in the industry DevOPs is becoming the new wave where Software Dev and Operations/Infrastructure Silos are starting to blur due to many companies moving to Cloud Providers. On the flip side Info Security is always going to be info security but now things surrounding Cloud are hot.

thaKEAF

#grizzlies #titans
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Memphis
What exactly are you trying to do? Right now in the industry DevOPs is becoming the new wave where Software Dev and Operations/Infrastructure Silos are starting to blur due to many companies moving to Cloud Providers. On the flip side Info Security is always going to be info security but now things surrounding Cloud are hot.

I'm not even sure to be honest with you. I haven't gotten deep into my core classes yet so far but I was reading about how security was big money so that's one that I was intrigued by.

J Money

Daps
A business Degree will give you flexibility as a recent grad to be able to apply for anything you see. The biggest thing you need to focus on is gaining capital (stacking your bread) and learning how business delivery services/projects. See what they are doing right and doing wrong, like I said as an entrepreneur you dont need to know the technical stuff because once you have the capital you can outsource that stuff for pennies on the dollar.Like I said Project and or Program Management will let you see the overall picture of how the business runs which is going to be much more important as an entrepreneur than taking dumb math classes or studying for some useless certs because all these things are nothing more than gatekeepers.

Yeah thats very true thanks for the advice breh :myman:

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
I'm not even sure to be honest with you. I haven't gotten deep into my core classes yet so far but I was reading about how security was big money so that's one that I was intrigued by.

Yeah Security isn't going anywhere because it applies to everything no matter what is the new industry tend. To be honest most folks dont know what they "Want to do" until they get their first job and then they build on that, and if they dont like it they at least have experience now to build a decent entry level resume.

I`m getting my masters now, but if I were in undergrad I would focus one learning 1 programming language (Python or Java), 1 main OS from a Sys Admin perspective (preferably Red Hat or Windows Server 2012 (nobody is using 16), getting an Azure or AWS related Cert, and having a good understanding of SDLC, this will have you very well rounded. If you dont want to mess with programming what so ever you can replace the programming language with Sec+ (I believe that is one of the entry level security certs) or a scripting language (Bash or Powershell). Also have a good understanding of the OSI model.

Do you currently have a job? If not you need to volunteer or try to get student employment with your Universities Service Desk. Depending on what yr you are in this could help you stand out when it comes to getting internships or can suffice if your grades arent good enough for an internship.

thaKEAF

#grizzlies #titans
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Memphis
Yeah Security isn't going anywhere because it applies to everything no matter what is the new industry tend. To be honest most folks dont know what they "Want to do" until they get their first job and then they build on that, and if they dont like it they at least have experience now to build a decent entry level resume.

I`m getting my masters now, but if I were in undergrad I would focus one learning 1 programming language (Python or Java), 1 main OS from a Sys Admin perspective (preferably Red Hat or Windows Server 2012 (nobody is using 16), getting an Azure or AWS related Cert, and having a good understanding of SDLC, this will have you very well rounded. If you dont want to mess with programming what so ever you can replace the programming language with Sec+ (I believe that is one of the entry level security certs) or a scripting language (Bash or Powershell). Also have a good understanding of the OSI model.

Do you currently have a job? If not you need to volunteer or try to get student employment with your Universities Service Desk. Depending on what yr you are in this could help you stand out when it comes to getting internships or can suffice if your grades arent good enough for an internship.

Thanks a lot breh. I just passed a introduction to java course this past semester, I wouldn't say I really learned the language but I got by well enough to make a B in the course. I don't currently work in the field, the job I just left was retail but they had me in the tech services area working on PCs, but not sure if that would really count towards experience. I've been looking at internships but a lot of them so far would clash with my current job, hopefully before I graduate I'll be able to get into one. My school almost seems like they can't even find people to take the internships (which are with good companies) so I should be able to squeeze in eventually.

If you don't mind me asking, what made you go back for a masters degree?

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
Thanks a lot breh. I just passed a introduction to java course this past semester, I wouldn't say I really learned the language but I got by well enough to make a B in the course. I don't currently work in the field, the job I just left was retail but they had me in the tech services area working on PCs, but not sure if that would really count towards experience. I've been looking at internships but a lot of them so far would clash with my current job, hopefully before I graduate I'll be able to get into one. My school almost seems like they can't even find people to take the internships (which are with good companies) so I should be able to squeeze in eventually.

If you don't mind me asking, what made you go back for a masters degree?

Does your current job pay decent which is why you won't bounce? And are you a non traditional student or full time? Since you got out of the java class I would say keep building on it, purchase 1 or 2 java classes from Udemy and you could also volunteer your skills to small projects. Also create a github and put your school projects on there, this will def set you apart. When I was in undergrad I did help desk for a yr and then moved into wireless sales and was making bank for a college kid, but after I grad I took a pay cut and took an entry level gig in my career field, and damn near doubled my salary since then and may double it again fairly soon.

I`m getting my masters for 2 reasons 1.I want to teach and a good way to get experience is taking on a lecturer gig at a university/Community college, and my undergrad GPA wasn't insanely high for a top PhD program (above 3.0 but less than 3.5), and I suck at standardized test so this will help make my applications stronger. and 2.For many jobs a Masters can count towards 2-4 yrs experience so its just to satisfy a gatekeeper to move into management faster, its not needed but it helps.

In general you should never stop learning in this industry, ever job I have had my coworkers were always 20+ yrs older than me, lot of people hit 80-120k and just get comfortable, but then look silly when someone half their age comes in and replaces them.

thaKEAF

#grizzlies #titans
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Memphis
Does your current job pay decent which is why you won't bounce? And are you a non traditional student or full time? Since you got out of the java class I would say keep building on it, purchase 1 or 2 java classes from Udemy and you could also volunteer your skills to small projects. Also create a github and put your school projects on there, this will def set you apart. When I was in undergrad I did help desk for a yr and then moved into wireless sales and was making bank for a college kid, but after I grad I took a pay cut and took an entry level gig in my career field, and damn near doubled my salary since then and may double it again fairly soon.

I`m getting my masters for 2 reasons 1.I want to teach and a good way to get experience is taking on a lecturer gig at a university/Community college, and my undergrad GPA wasn't insanely high for a top PhD program (above 3.0 but less than 3.5), and I suck at standardized test so this will help make my applications stronger. and 2.For many jobs a Masters can count towards 2-4 yrs experience so its just to satisfy a gatekeeper to move into management faster, its not needed but it helps.

In general you should never stop learning in this industry, ever job I have had my coworkers were always 20+ yrs older than me, lot of people hit 80-120k and just get comfortable, but then look silly when someone half their age comes in and replaces them.

Well this new job I just started this week so I'm not attached to it. Pay is okay but once I get this A+ done I'm gonna start applying for entry level IT gigs. I had a coworker ask me was I gonna go back for my masters and I told her I was thinking about it. Thanks for all the advice I really appreciate it :wow: screenshoted all posts.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
Well this new job I just started this week so I'm not attached to it. Pay is okay but once I get this A+ done I'm gonna start applying for entry level IT gigs. I had a coworker ask me was I gonna go back for my masters and I told her I was thinking about it. Thanks for all the advice I really appreciate it :wow: screenshoted all posts.

Dont think about a masters until you have 4-5 yrs experience.

Assuming you are in memphis, if you currently make less than 12 bucks an hr, apply to the best buy Geek Squad ASAP, or at least the computer Sales department and then transfer to the Geek Squad after you have your A+. Another option like I said is reaching out to the head of your schools Service Desk ( look them up via the directory on the schools site) and straight up ask them if you can get on whether it be paid or unpaid even if you can only give them 5 hrs a week of your time, at least you have something to put on your resume that you can over exaggerate about.