IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Pyrexcup

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Yeah Security isn't going anywhere because it applies to everything no matter what is the new industry tend. To be honest most folks dont know what they "Want to do" until they get their first job and then they build on that, and if they dont like it they at least have experience now to build a decent entry level resume.

I`m getting my masters now, but if I were in undergrad I would focus one learning 1 programming language (Python or Java), 1 main OS from a Sys Admin perspective (preferably Red Hat or Windows Server 2012 (nobody is using 16), getting an Azure or AWS related Cert, and having a good understanding of SDLC, this will have you very well rounded. If you dont want to mess with programming what so ever you can replace the programming language with Sec+ (I believe that is one of the entry level security certs) or a scripting language (Bash or Powershell). Also have a good understanding of the OSI model.

Do you currently have a job? If not you need to volunteer or try to get student employment with your Universities Service Desk. Depending on what yr you are in this could help you stand out when it comes to getting internships or can suffice if your grades arent good enough for an internship.
Not sure about your second point maybe in other fields yes but not in IT. Maybe if you are going to pm types roles we are already seeing the traditional bachelor degree loosing it's value every year it is not like other fields where you can bullshyt your way through with some degree you have to show and prove they won't care if you have a masters or not

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
Not sure about your second point maybe in other fields yes but not in IT. Maybe if you are going to pm types roles we are already seeing the traditional bachelor degree loosing it's value every year it is not like other fields where you can bullshyt your way through with some degree you have to show and prove they won't care if you have a masters or not
Not sure exactly what your trying to say.

Experience is the only thing that matters, a degree and certs are nothing more than gate keepers to make up for experience you dont have. A degree still has more weight than certs, anyone who thinks otherwise is a fool.

el_oh_el

Bulls On Parade...
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
Just passed the CCNP Route exam :wow::whew::blessed:

904/1000

Honestly I thought i'd get a lot lower than that. What a bytch of an exam, topics that I thought would be emphasized more on the exam were barely there or nonexistent :dwillhuh: Some stuff from the Cisco blueprint for the exam werent even in the books but was all over the test

The labs were pretty easy, good thing the past couple weeks I been studying the lesser known stuff from the books. If i didnt I would have failed for sure

1/3rd of that CCNP down :mjcry:
mind going into a bit more depth on this? I'm studying for my ROUTE and planning on taking it in August

Last edited:

Pyrexcup

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Not sure exactly what your trying to say.

Experience is the only thing that matters, a degree and certs are nothing more than gate keepers to make up for experience you dont have. A degree still has more weight than certs, anyone who thinks otherwise is a fool.
quoted the wrong post the posted i wonted to quote you said a master can count for 2-4year experience my point is for it/dev it is not the case

slikkp

Pro
Daps
quoted the wrong post the posted i wonted to quote you said a master can count for 2-4year experience my point is for it/dev it is not the case

It depends where u work. Government jobs and contractors in it/dev/engineering a MS is equal to 2+ years of experience.

Not saying that experience doesn't matter because it definitely does but education allows you to skip stages at times.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent

Speak for you market, because I see tons of jobs that have things such as Bachelors + 5 yrs experience / Advance Degree (MBA or MS) + 3 yrs experience.

With everything it is a case by case basis, but you are incorrect if you are trying to say it doesnt exist.

GollyImGully

Too many wavy women, gotta log outta IG
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
mind going into a bit more depth on this? I'm studying for my ROUTE and planning on taking it in August

Sorry breh cant break my nda :troll:
But nah basically going based off the Cisco Press book I felt it would be a lot more BGP multiple choice questions (had 0), more in depth route redistribution, route filtering.

The labs I had had were easy if you studied well (policy based routing, route redistribution with ospf/eigrp, stub nssa)

The oddball questions were shyt about netFlow (not anywhere in the book), random tcp/ip questions, and a lot more NAT questions that I expected. But like I mentioned I looked up this stuff hard a week before the test so it was all fresh in my mind

My best advice be to have multiple training sources besides the book and follow the cisco exam descrip and make sure you can fully understand why and how these concepts work. If it breaks how could you fix it? When would you use it? etc. Youll be fine

ROUTE Exam Topics - The Cisco Learning Network

el_oh_el

Bulls On Parade...
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
Sorry breh cant break my nda :troll:
But nah basically going based off the Cisco Press book I felt it would be a lot more BGP multiple choice questions (had 0), more in depth route redistribution, route filtering.

The labs I had had were easy if you studied well (policy based routing, route redistribution with ospf/eigrp, stub nssa)

The oddball questions were shyt about netFlow (not anywhere in the book), random tcp/ip questions, and a lot more NAT questions that I expected. But like I mentioned I looked up this stuff hard a week before the test so it was all fresh in my mind

My best advice be to have multiple training sources besides the book and follow the cisco exam descrip and make sure you can fully understand why and how these concepts work. If it breaks how could you fix it? When would you use it? etc. Youll be fine

ROUTE Exam Topics - The Cisco Learning Network
About to lab it up, repped.

Idaeo

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DC
Didn't get a job I interviewed for because I "don't have enough Linux experience" :mjcry:

Certs aren't stressed at the current gig I've been at for 8 years. I've taken a few compressed cert classes through my work...but never took any exams. so I'm ill-prepared for the job market.

I copped the CompTia Linux study guide....gonna go hard on this the next few weeks and take that Linux+ exam

slikkp

Pro
Daps
Didn't get a job I interviewed for because I "don't have enough Linux experience" :mjcry:

Certs aren't stressed at the current gig I've been at for 8 years. I've taken a few compressed cert classes through my work...but never took any exams. so I'm ill-prepared for the job market.

I copped the CompTia Linux study guide....gonna go hard on this the next few weeks and take that Linux+ exam

Linux academy has a good course and it comes with a lab. It's $29 a month.

I know Linux (Ubuntu/centos) is free but it's a good idea if you need structure while studying like me.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent

Red Hat is what you want breh, unless you are a total noob to the game.

Side note, brehs get your resumes out there ASAP, this is the time of year a lot of companies have their new budgets so they are trying to hire.:wow:
Y'all keep your boy in your thoughts again :lupe: :mjcry: