IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
Adding some devOps skills to my repertoire. Learning docker. Ain't an easy thing to make it play nice with Windows tho. :scust:

doing the same. Studying for the RHCSA now and some python and then going to learn Ansible, Vagrant, Docker, and knock out the AWS Sol Architect cert. I have a screening for a company that uses AWS though so that would be a God send if it comes through.

HoldThisL

Captain L
Daps
Been mostly advised here to start up with A+. If you are fairly decent with computers it shouldn't be hard to pick that one up. From there get you a help desk gig and study for your next cert.

Thanks bro, any books or anything I should specifically study for the test?

princeofhaiti

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DMV
My homie (who does IT for the Redskins) is trying to slide me into the organization for Game Day IT related support. Ya think a quick brush up of CompTia & Security + will suffice. I just started studying hard about a couple weeks ago, just trying to network if I get the position and learn as much as possible on the job since this would be my first IT related job. Any advice from the veterans would be appreciated

eufemism

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
#uglygang
In a weird place at the moment which could potentially decide my future :francis:

Because of my lazy ass failing a lot of college classes last year, I'm about to start my 4th year of college without being in any program yet :francis: I have it narrowed down to MIS or HIM. Main drawback is I'm already 17k in debt and don't know if I should keep going for 2-3 more years to get my B.S. :patrice: To get into MIS I'd need to get B's in ALL courses the next two semesters and considering how my grades have been the past 3 years that's a spooky thought:merchant:

HIM would be easier, but it would take longer:shaq2:

OR

Take some time off school, pay off my debts, and get into IT (just started studying for A+ and gonna try to apply for a help desk job). Then depending on how it goes, either keep doing IT or go back and finish the last couple of years.

What do you guys think? Keep pushing through 2-3 more years of school or try to get into IT then potentially go back to school later? :lupe: My main concern are the monthly loan payments that would increase every year I'm in school. They're already ~$200 a month. :to: And on the other hand I'm scared of having to pay my loans after the 6 month deferment period if I do take off time:mjcry:

Sonny Bonds

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Update NPS Configuration to add all clients of subnet range
The clients in the NPS on NYC server need to be updated so that it accepts all clients underneath the subnet range in which the IP's will be given

This is a ticket I have. I don't know powershell (yet) and I didn't know what NPS was until I got this ticket. :francis:

Any links\resources\tips would be helpful.
cleardot.gif

↓R↑LYB

I trained Sheng Long and Shonuff
Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan
The clients in the NPS on NYC server need to be updated so that it accepts all clients underneath the subnet range in which the IP's will be given

This is a ticket I have. I don't know powershell (yet) and I didn't know what NPS was until I got this ticket. :francis:

cleardot.gif

Ask someone on your team if they know what NPS is, then have someone teach you how to do it. That way you start building your skillset.

TRFG

Not who you think
Daps
In a weird place at the moment which could potentially decide my future :francis:

Because of my lazy ass failing a lot of college classes last year, I'm about to start my 4th year of college without being in any program yet :francis: I have it narrowed down to MIS or HIM. Main drawback is I'm already 17k in debt and don't know if I should keep going for 2-3 more years to get my B.S. :patrice: To get into MIS I'd need to get B's in ALL courses the next two semesters and considering how my grades have been the past 3 years that's a spooky thought:merchant:

HIM would be easier, but it would take longer:shaq2:

OR

Take some time off school, pay off my debts, and get into IT (just started studying for A+ and gonna try to apply for a help desk job). Then depending on how it goes, either keep doing IT or go back and finish the last couple of years.

What do you guys think? Keep pushing through 2-3 more years of school or try to get into IT then potentially go back to school later? :lupe: My main concern are the monthly loan payments that would increase every year I'm in school. They're already ~$200 a month. :to: And on the other hand I'm scared of having to pay my loans after the 6 month deferment period if I do take off time:mjcry:

I was in the same situation. I transferred to a school with a legit program, not that MIS bull shyt, and I've been getting A and B's since. In today's world a degree is required even for entry level work, meaning you'll need it in the long run

Edit: I thought you only pay the loans when you graduate

Last edited:

Splash

Superstar
Supporter
Daps

cleardot.gif

Hopefully you learn real quick, I always tell people at work.. show me how to do this once, you'll never need to again and ive always had positive feedback about doing this.

I do the same for others, no problem with people asking me once of twice, after that imma just act like I never got your IM :dame:

Tryna focus of this solitaire :dame:

thaKEAF

#grizzlies #titans
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Memphis