IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Silkk

Thats My Quarterback :to:
Daps
Do you think there is a market to offer more affordable training classes for certifications? I went to a community college today to check out their CCNA class and they want $1700 which seems insane to me. I have talked to TestOut by email about group rates and got a few quotes. I thought their rates were still high, but not after doing some research on other in person classes.

I'm still in the process of studying for the second part of the A+ exam, but also want to expand my income outside of just a salary. That CCNA class at the CC was six months, but I don't think a A+ course would need to be nearly as long. I figure offering students the TestOut software along with one or two days a week in class would be sufficient for a moth or two max(the software subscription would last beyond the class). Someone I know that works in IT tells me he gets crazy offers to move for jobs outside of metro areas. Maybe those areas would be a sweat spot for such a program.
:what: Man if you don't get your ass on Groupon

Silkk

Thats My Quarterback :to:
Daps
I'll check the Cisco group I'm in on Facebook. The Comptia group is how I found out about the student discount. Did you already do ccna or you went up to cissp from Comptia?
Straight to cissp

Sonny Bonds

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Any thoughts on AWS Certified Solutions Architect??
At my workplace, the director of technical operations has all of the AWS certs. And everyone else in the department, except for me, has at least one. An AWS cert is next one my list after MCSA.

TRFG

Not who you think
Daps
At my workplace, the director of technical operations has all of the AWS certs. And everyone else in the department, except for me, has at least one. An AWS cert is next one my list after MCSA.

I can't seem to find books/study material tho

Sonny Bonds

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I can't seem to find books/study material tho
I've only looked a little because I'm not going for it yet.

But there's this and I believe Amazon has a (free?) e-book in Kindle format available. Also, I remember someone mentioning that Amazon has free trials of AWS, so you can get in there and mess around with it.

Linux Academy also has a video series. And I'm pretty sure that CBT Nuggets has one too, but I could be wrong.

TRFG

Not who you think
Daps
I've only looked a little because I'm not going for it yet.

But there's this and I believe Amazon has a (free?) e-book in Kindle format available. Also, I remember someone mentioning that Amazon has free trials of AWS, so you can get in there and mess around with it.

Linux Academy also has a video series. And I'm pretty sure that CBT Nuggets has one too, but I could be wrong.

What do you think about the AWS certs? :patrice: I'm thinking about skipping the CCNNA and picking up some AWS certs and the MCSA cert

Sonny Bonds

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
What do you think about the AWS certs? I'm thinking about skipping the CCNNA and picking up some AWS certs and the MCSA cert
That's what I'm going to do. Company I work for uses AWS heavily and I'm gonna stay there a while.

My goal is to get my skills up, so that I don't ever have to be in a help desk\desktop support role again. The one I'm in now is one of the best I've seen. It's a small company and my boss is more interested in the infrastructure side of things. He's told me, "they can take care of their own computers." We get emails about issues, but I'm not running around all day stressing about help desk tickets. On the other hand, there's infrastructure stuff at work that makes me scratch my head.

I think it's easier to learn what you're interested in. At least until you've got a good study routine going. Are you interested in networking?

Rick Fox at UNC

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Pretty Boys
I was checking out the school more for business ideas. Thinking about running my own training classes after seeing how expensive some of these schools are.

Here is some Sunday motivation for everyone:

Grab as many certs as possible but don't listen to this guy give "advice" on college, especially if you're a black male.

TRFG

Not who you think
Daps
That's what I'm going to do. Company I work for uses AWS heavily and I'm gonna stay there a while.

My goal is to get my skills up, so that I don't ever have to be in a help desk\desktop support role again. The one I'm in now is one of the best I've seen. It's a small company and my boss is more interested in the infrastructure side of things. He's told me, "they can take care of their own computers." We get emails about issues, but I'm not running around all day stressing about help desk tickets. On the other hand, there's infrastructure stuff at work that makes me scratch my head.

I think it's easier to learn what you're interested in. At least until you've got a good study routine going. Are you interested in networking?

I would like to get into networking and administration (administration most tho)