IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Scott Larock

Its hard leaving thecoli but I gotta find a way...
Daps
Reppin
Hell
How much hyper V is on the Windows 10 exam? I'm trying to network some virtual machines and it's giving me all types of errors, I had Win 10 Home before and I upgraded to 10 pro due to Hyper V and a couple other features but this isn't as good as vmware imo.

Do I need to learn it in and out or only the basics? I wanna go back to vmware if possible.

Rick Fox at UNC

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Pretty Boys
Do you think there is a market to
offer more affordable training classes for certifications? I went to a community college today to check out their CCNA class and they want $1700 which seems insane to me. I have talked to TestOut by email about group rates and got a few quotes. I thought their rates were still high, but not after doing some research on other in person classes.

I'm still in the process of studying for the second part of the A+ exam, but also want to expand my income outside of just a salary. That CCNA class at the CC was six months, but I don't think a A+ course would need to be nearly as long. I figure offering students the TestOut software along with one or two days a week in class would be sufficient for a moth or two max(the software subscription would last beyond the class). Someone I know that works in IT tells me he gets crazy offers to move for jobs outside of metro areas. Maybe those areas would be a sweat spot for such a program.

If you have a business plan then don't let me halt your progress, but you're going to run into a few issues.

1. Those classes are geared toward government and private organizations and are priced accordingly. $1700 is an insane amount for the unemployed entry-level guy sitting at home but as part of a companies annual training or project budget, this is nothing. Organizations are willing to spend $1700 * (x) to ensure their employees are certified and meet certain standards. So really, you'd be targeting individuals which leads to...

2. Most of the folks who study for IT certifications on their own find other ways to access the training material. There is simply too much material available for anyone with initiative to ignore.

This isn't 2001 anymore so paying for the "lab experience" is no longer necessary. GNS3 and Hypervisors have done away with the need to sit in a classroom or have access to a "complicated" lab in order to do the work. If you have a decent system, you can grab MCSE, CCNA, and myriad other certs by downloading a few PDFs/Videos and VirtualBox.

More importantly, if you the initiative and patience, you can learn goddamn anything for the price of basic hardware and an internet connection. This is not a revolutionary statement by any means, but think about it for a second.

Silkk

Thats My Quarterback :to:
Daps
None that I know of, I'll keep my ear to the streets and let u know if I find anything. How long have u been studying and when are u planning on sitting for the exam?
Bout a week, first 19 courses looks like what i studied for my security+. I think the CISSP stuff will be the 20 after that on career academy. Hoping to take it at the end of august.

D1renegade

All Star
Daps
Reppin
OK
I accepted a new job at the end of March and I'm still waiting for them to finish my initial background check for secret clearance:martin:
I can't start until that's done and I'm on the verge of losing my mind at my current job.

:laff:

If yall are studying for CCNA like me, read this:

CCNA Routing & Switching Certification for the New Digital Landscape

That’s why the CCNA Routing and Switching certification is being updated to address the changing skill sets required for core network engineers. These upgrades address the fundamentals of programmable networks, including the related controller types and tools that are available to support software-driven network architectures. That’s in addition to an understanding of how virtualized and cloud services will interact and impact enterprise networks.

The revised program also includes Quality of Service (QoS) principles and applicability, along with additional focus on IPv6 and basic network security.

The move comes as part of our overall shift toward programmable networks throughout the Cisco certification portfolio. In November 2015, we introduced a new framework at the expert (CCIE) level to address these emerging technologies. These updates to the CCNA R&S represent the continued evolution of our training and certification programs.

The revised CCNA certification provides you with industry-recognized skills for today and the future and will give you the knowledge and tools needed to evolve the network.

Technology will pass you by, and quickly, if you don’t have the needed skills. Start the journey to update yours at our CCNA Routing & Switching page.

:beli: thats what i get for buying some study materials :beli:

:martin: And I just spent $30 on a book for this exam. Good thing it expires in August so that gives me plenty of time to prepare. Thanks for the heads up breh.

eufemism

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
#uglygang
Anybody here get a Bachelor's in Management Information Systems?

I'm gonna be a senior and I have to choose a degree asap for ths upcoming year (long story, basically bad grades and switching majors twice). It's between that and Health Information Management:patrice:

The degree seems to lean towards the business side of things more so than IT. Based off what I'm reading, Business Analyst and Project Managing seem to be the biggest jobs areas I could find myself in.

I figure a help desk job this year, a solid internship next year, and A+ and Network+ certs could land me a decent job God willing. Then maybe PMP certification and an MBA?:lupe:

I'm know I'm getting way ahead of myself, so back to the question, do any of y'all know any people that have an MIS degree that can shine some light on the topic concerning jobs availability/pay/internships?

Last edited:

se1f_made

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Bout a week, first 19 courses looks like what i studied for my security+. I think the CISSP stuff will be the 20 after that on career academy. Hoping to take it at the end of august.
Ok, good luck breh. I bought the shon Harris book a few weeks ago and left it on the dining room table, I gotta quit playing and gone ahead and get to it

se1f_made

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL

I'm gonna be a senior and I have to choose a degree asap for ths upcoming year (long story, basically bad grades and switching majors twice). It's between that and Health Information Management:patrice:

The degree seems to lean towards the business side of things more so than IT. Based off what I'm reading, Business Analyst and Project Managing seem to be the biggest jobs areas I could find myself in.

I figure a help desk job this year, a solid internship next year, and A+ and Network+ certs could land me a decent job God willing. Then maybe PMP certification and an MBA?:lupe:

I'm know I'm getting way ahead of myself, so back to the question, do any of y'all know any people that have an MIS degree that can shine some light on the topic concerning jobs availability/pay/internships?
I graduated with a MIS and looking back I should've specialized in something like HIM. Reason being is that the HIM track can atleast lead you down a path for more career options. If later, if HIM isn't for you and the decision is made to pursue the traditional IT Helpdesk/sys admin track you can do so...probably be a lot tougher vice versa

Daps
Reppin
MD

I have a bachelor in CIS and I'm finishing up my masters in MIS this fall. I would say go with the degree that is more technical. Those skills will come in handy down the road.