IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
How much clout do yall give Glassdoor reviews? I know often times typically only unsatisfied people are the ones who leave reviews but then you have other companies where the reviews line up with stuff you see on tv/media.

I was selected for a first round phone screen with a company with a big/good name but i cant find too much on glassdoor regarding reviews of the role.

eufemism

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
#uglygang
I graduated with a MIS and looking back I should've specialized in something like HIM. Reason being is that the HIM track can atleast lead you down a path for more career options. If later, if HIM isn't for you and the decision is made to pursue the traditional IT Helpdesk/sys admin track you can do so...probably be a lot tougher vice versa

Are you having trouble finding a job with your MIS degree? What types of jobs have you held with your degree If you don't mind me asking?

I've been looking at a variety of potential types of jobs. SysAdmin and Network Admin look like potential jobs, but you need thr CISSP cert. It seems like a business degree + self study IT certs can land you those jobs.

RubioTheCruel

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, NY
How much clout do yall give Glassdoor reviews? I know often times typically only unsatisfied people are the ones who leave reviews but then you have other companies where the reviews line up with stuff you see on tv/media.

I was selected for a first round phone screen with a company with a big/good name but i cant find too much on glassdoor regarding reviews of the role.

I always check them out. As you said, you have to take the reviews with a grain of salt as some can be posted from departed employees with an axe to grind but it's a good indicator of the environment you're walking into.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
I always check them out. As you said, you have to take the reviews with a grain of salt as some can be posted from departed employees with an axe to grind but it's a good indicator of the environment you're walking into.

I only found 2 for the position I`m looking at (only two people put their job title), and i didnt see anything for the office I`d be looking at.

you think thats enough to trip? I didnt see anything about the job being hell, it was more so about long term advancement not being good.

Daps
Reppin
Queens/NYC

Use your current company as a rule of thumb. If you hate your current company and it's ranked 3.0, then you certainly shouldn't bail for a company that has a 1.5 review. It's relative to your industry as well. What is the average ranking for other firms of the same size/status in your industry? If the new place has a review rating that's 1/2 of that, with just as many reviews or more, then I'd second guess it. But just complete the interview, experiences can vary by team. They will either confirm or debunk the reviews. You'll walk in with eyes wide open and be able to spot particular red flags mentioned in the review more easily.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
Use your current company as a rule of thumb. If you hate your current company and it's ranked 3.0, then you certainly shouldn't bail for a company that has a 1.5 review. It's relative to your industry as well. What is the average ranking for other firms of the same size/status in your industry? If the new place has a review rating that's 1/2 of that, with just as many reviews or more, then I'd second guess it. But just complete the interview, experiences can vary by team. They will either confirm or debunk the reviews. You'll walk in with eyes wide open and be able to spot particular red flags mentioned in the review more easily.

I`m not going to go through with it, its 1/8th the size of my company so I think the reviews actually hold more accurate, compared to my current gig where your experience depends on the project you are on. I got some other stuff potentially in the pipe line and I`m doing a workshop for the Scrum Master Cert next week so I think that will open more doors. Also going to do this UDEMY class I bought this weekend and take another stab at the ITIL cert.

Daps
Reppin
Queens/NYC
I`m not going to go through with it, its 1/8th the size of my company so I think the reviews actually hold more accurate, compared to my current gig where your experience depends on the project you are on. I got some other stuff potentially in the pipe line and I`m doing a workshop for the Scrum Master Cert next week so I think that will open more doors. Also going to do this UDEMY class I bought this weekend and take another stab at the ITIL cert.

You're right, smaller companies the reviews hold more weight. It depends though because your experience could vary depending on how you get along with either the CEO or the person he's put in charge. If you're the guy in charge of your department and report directly to the CEO then the reviews really don't matter. You just have to go off gut instinct in dealing with the guy.

I'm interviewing for a start-up this week and whether I choose to go with them will largely depend on my gut feeling of the CEO. Does he know what he's talking about? Is he dedicated to the product/service and has done his due diligence and research? Is it well funded and backed by a reputable VC or other firm? Do they have a corner on the market/angle or IP? All good questions to ask for a small start-up environment.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
You're right, smaller companies the reviews hold more weight. It depends though because your experience could vary depending on how you get along with either the CEO or the person he's put in charge. If you're the guy in charge of your department and report directly to the CEO then the reviews really don't matter. You just have to go off gut instinct in dealing with the guy.

I'm interviewing for a start-up this week and whether I choose to go with them will largely depend on my gut feeling of the CEO. Does he know what he's talking about? Is he dedicated to the product/service and has done his due diligence and research? Is it well funded and backed by a reputable VC or other firm? Do they have a corner on the market/angle or IP? All good questions to ask for a small start-up environment.

When I saw the company is "ran by a family" and numerous posts of nepotism, on top of cultish culture those are too many red flags lol. Also a few posts about clients leaving and such all rubbed me a wrong way for a company with less than 6k employees.

Daps
Reppin
Queens/NYC
When I saw the company is "ran by a family" and numerous posts of nepotism, on top of cultish culture those are too many red flags lol. Also a few posts about clients leaving and such all rubbed me a wrong way for a company with less than 6k employees.

Yeah my Woman's friend works in a family owned company and there is constant back and forth and struggles between the mother/father and daughter. 3 way deadlocks and shyt. They pay her well and don't want to lose her but she's tired of the shyt.

se1f_made

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Are you having trouble finding a job with your MIS degree? What types of jobs have you held with your degree If you don't mind me asking?

I've been looking at a variety of potential types of jobs. SysAdmin and Network Admin look like potential jobs, but you need thr CISSP cert. It seems like a business degree + self study IT certs can land you those jobs.
Not at all, I've actually got recruiters blowing my phone up on the weekly with opportunities that they want me to pursue:jawalrus:

But I'm good where I'm at for now. I spent the first 5 years after college working at a cushy Helpdesk then last fall started a new job which supports a specific application but I also get the chance to help out with Cisco UCS hardware, VMware, SAN technologies and SQL. Currently, I'm not quite at 6 figures but I understand that typical sys admin jobs (while the job security is good) the salary maxes out right under 100k. What I'm trying to achieve is doing something more specialized like either security (which would command a pay of $125k senior level, or DBA which pays around $110). Specialized route seems like less stress and less work because you're paid for what you know.

Silkk

Thats My Quarterback :to:
Daps

Indeeds are more credible in my experience