IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Silkk

Thats My Quarterback :to:
Daps
Have the ones you been on been pretty stable and consistent? I have heard some horror stories but i know all experiences can differ.
I've only done 1 before and they were great.

This company has a solid rep as well, i always make sure to read up on them and check their reviews

GoGetMyDamnBelt_

All Star
Daps
Reppin
MIA
Doing whatever's the most fun/grabs your attention.

That icloud celebrity hack is what got me interested in security. So wrong & so right at the same time :lolbron:

Lol well I was recommended by my aunt to get certified in Cisco. At&t started her at $27 off the bat with that cert. I'm on Udemy tryna figure out which course to purchase to start on it.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
Lol well I was recommended by my aunt to get certified in Cisco. At&t started her at $27 off the bat with that cert. I'm on Udemy tryna figure out which course to purchase to start on it.

what year was that (when AT&T gave her the 27 bucks)? Not trying to be negative, but I see folks getting advice from people who got Certs back in 93 who are out of touch with what goes on now. And like I said build yourself a home lab, because if you are trying to get into Infrastructure you need hands on experience and not just passing some tests.

No Homo

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Jigga with the Roley and the Vest

Cisco is the wrong shyt to try to just get into if you have no real interest in it.

GoGetMyDamnBelt_

All Star
Daps
Reppin
MIA
what year was that (when AT&T gave her the 27 bucks)? Not trying to be negative, but I see folks getting advice from people who got Certs back in 93 who are out of touch with what goes on now. And like I said build yourself a home lab, because if you are trying to get into Infrastructure you need hands on experience and not just passing some tests.

She been with them for about 4 years now.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
She been with them for about 4 years now.

with no prior experience? Well props to her if that is the case but I just dont see folks with no experience and only certs getting a job that pays more than 20 bucks an hour unless they have a 4 yr degree + the certs and even then companies may try to gank you for less than 20 bucks. I could be wrong though.

se1f_made

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Once you get your CISSP :eat:
I reached out to an old colleague that made the jump from system engineering/admin to security - he told me that you have to have 5 years of experience in Security (not just systems engineering) before you can sit for the exam. Any truth to that or does he just not want to see a brother excel?:mjpls:

↓R↑LYB

I trained Sheng Long and Shonuff
Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan
I reached out to an old colleague that made the jump from system engineering/admin to security - he told me that you have to have 5 years of experience in Security (not just systems engineering) before you can sit for the exam. Any truth to that or does he just not want to see a brother excel?:mjpls:

:mjpls:

Pay your money, take the exam, and you'll be straight.

Spin

All Star
Daps
:mjpls:

Pay your money, take the exam, and you'll be straight.

Do you think there is a market to offer more affordable training classes for certifications? I went to a community college today to check out their CCNA class and they want $1700 which seems insane to me. I have talked to TestOut by email about group rates and got a few quotes. I thought their rates were still high, but not after doing some research on other in person classes.

I'm still in the process of studying for the second part of the A+ exam, but also want to expand my income outside of just a salary. That CCNA class at the CC was six months, but I don't think a A+ course would need to be nearly as long. I figure offering students the TestOut software along with one or two days a week in class would be sufficient for a moth or two max(the software subscription would last beyond the class). Someone I know that works in IT tells me he gets crazy offers to move for jobs outside of metro areas. Maybe those areas would be a sweat spot for such a program.