IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
Yea I've been fukking with it for the past few hours and its actually simple enough to grasp :whew:

These guys around me doing scripts with C# and powershell and i'm sitting here listening to them talk everyday like :dwillhuh:
Yeah i found Python easy as hell just from my college programming experience and doing SQL procedures and stuff. Granted i havent gotten to any of the advance labs but just from a syntax standpoint i enjoy it as it is very clean and straight forward.

GoGetMyDamnBelt_

All Star
Daps
Reppin
MIA
If you got into IT for money you already lost.

Lol quit letting these dudes gas yall heads up. With anything in life you find what interests you and pays what you feel is livable and then persue it. If you dont know what area you want to focus in it tells me you didnt pick this because it interested you. I could be wrong but thats just what i see from your post.

sounds like you picked IT because of the starting salary :sas2:

No, I picked it because of the job security and the fact that technology is advancing, it's always changing so it's something I will never get bored doing. Yeah the starting salary is great but those two main reasons I listed are the main reason I got into the field. Then again, I'm still in the beginner stage so maybe I'm talking out of frustration and being impatient.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
No, I picked it because of the job security and the fact that technology is advancing, it's always changing so it's something I will never get bored doing. Yeah the starting salary is great but those two main reasons I listed are the main reason I got into the field. Then again, I'm still in the beginner stage so maybe I'm talking out of frustration and being impatient.

Lol none of this has anything to do with actually wanting to do it. Technology intergrating into everything but that doesnt mean move into IT, that just means learn the more current skills in whatever you choose to do. You need to take a step back and ask yourself what is it that YOU actually like to do. You wont be able to get your time and money back if you put in all this effort and it doesnt pan out.

TRFG

Not who you think
Daps

:patrice: Some IT jobs aren't as secure you think, maybe if you have 10-15 experience years in a particular specialization but when companies downsize the IT guys are the first to be let go:manny:

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
:patrice: Some IT jobs aren't as secure you think, maybe if you have 10-15 experience years in a particular specialization but when companies downsize the IT guys are the first to be let go:manny:

Lol exactly Automation tools and Cloud is getting alot of people out the paint. Lot of companies outsourcing work to managed services groups too. So while some jobs arent going away per say there may be less of them.

Consigliere

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
A local job recruiter that I work with is looking for IT talent to fill a bunch of positions in Northern VA, Baltimore City & Baltimore County.

Not sure if this is the right place to post them, but if anyone is interested send me a PM and I'll give you the recruiters direct contact information and a reference.

* Systems Engineer/Linux, AWS, Cloud, Java,DEVOPS/$120k Arlington, VA

* Systems Engineer Lead/ AWS, Cloud, Linux admin/$140k Northern, VA

* Software Engineer/ Java!!, agile environment,SQL,PHP/ $120k Northern, VA

* Software Architect/ Java/ $130-140k/ Northern VA

* Front-end Developer/ Java/ $85-110k/ Arlington, VA

* Back-end Developer/ Java/ Must come from product background $140k-160k

* Pre-sales Engineer/Java,SQL,DEVOPS,application integration/ Northern, VA

(85k-120k plus bonuses. Need junior and senior level)

* Agile Lead Engineer/Technologist/Agile,Java and/or Mobile,$135k Baltimore, MD

* Mobile Developer/ OPEN!!!!!! $$OPEN!!!!! Baltimore, MD

* SQL DBA/ MS SQL, TSQL, PTO, HA, DR /$110k Howard County, MD

* CIO/ solutions architect/Must come from insurance product/ $300k

Howard County, MD

* Scrum Master/ Jira agile, Agile methodology/ $90k/ Howard County, MD

Daps
Reppin
MD
A local job recruiter that I work with is looking for IT talent to fill a bunch of positions in Northern VA, Baltimore City & Baltimore County.

Not sure if this is the right place to post them, but if anyone is interested send me a PM and I'll give you the recruiters direct contact information and a reference.

* Systems Engineer/Linux, AWS, Cloud, Java,DEVOPS/$120k Arlington, VA

* Systems Engineer Lead/ AWS, Cloud, Linux admin/$140k Northern, VA

* Software Engineer/ Java!!, agile environment,SQL,PHP/ $120k Northern, VA

* Software Architect/ Java/ $130-140k/ Northern VA

* Front-end Developer/ Java/ $85-110k/ Arlington, VA

* Back-end Developer/ Java/ Must come from product background $140k-160k

* Pre-sales Engineer/Java,SQL,DEVOPS,application integration/ Northern, VA

(85k-120k plus bonuses. Need junior and senior level)

* Agile Lead Engineer/Technologist/Agile,Java and/or Mobile,$135k Baltimore, MD

* Mobile Developer/ OPEN!!!!!! $$OPEN!!!!! Baltimore, MD

* SQL DBA/ MS SQL, TSQL, PTO, HA, DR /$110k Howard County, MD

* CIO/ solutions architect/Must come from insurance product/ $300k

Howard County, MD

* Scrum Master/ Jira agile, Agile methodology/ $90k/ Howard County, MD

If any security roles in the DC area come across your plate, let me know.

kickz

Pro
Daps
Reppin
NULL
:damn: they had that shyt running like a full time job

Interesting tho..If you submerge yourself into it that makes learning it soooooo much easier :whoo:

What languages did they teach you? Java?

The main two were either Java or C#, I went C# route.
So I did C# for backend code, Javascript/Jquery for front end. Did some SQL for database as well.

kickz

Pro
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Hello everyone:

I am 30 years old and live in Americus, GA. Small place with very little opportunity.

I graduated in December 2015 from a two year college with an Associate's Degree in Business Management. Previously, I went to a 4 year university but didn't get nothing out of it. I was lazy, procrastinated, and was mentally weak. I ended up taking out many student loans and ended up incurring a lot of debt. I was placed on academic suspension so I went to the two year college to get my Associate's Degree.

I now have $60,000 in student loan debt. I am unemployed and live with my mother. Also, I only have 30 dollars in my savings account. I am obese and any money my parents give me goes to junk food, fast food, etc. I am horrible with impulse control.

I would like to become financially successful one day. From where I'm at is that possible? Or, is it too late and should I just accept that fact?

What are IT Careers like and can I be successful in that?

Find a good reviewed software bootcamp in your area and attend it. Find one that is fulltime and in person for atleast 3 months.
Thank me later:wow:

Last edited:

Silkk

Thats My Quarterback :to:
Daps
I don't know if I should of just stayed in the Animation major I was in when I first started college. The IT field requires so many memorization skills...
What makes me more upset at this point is that I have no clue what branch I want to go in specifically and I'm a year & a half from graduating with my Bachelor in IT. Some students in my class are talking about wanting to be a Integration Development Engineer or Database Management or CISA while others say they are Network Administrators or IT Telecom Analyst. I'm like :mindblown: "how did you figure out what job you wanted specifically?!"
Doing whatever's the most fun/grabs your attention.

That icloud celebrity hack is what got me interested in security. So wrong & so right at the same time :lolbron: