IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

GollyImGully

Too many wavy women, gotta log outta IG
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
The best camps make it a full time commitment. So mine was for 3 months 9-5pm days, so 12 weeks in total. shyt was so intense though people usually stuck around until 8-9pm before heading homefor sleep. :whew: Day to day it was lectures in the morning, then we did straight project work. Simple stuff at first like making a tic tac toe calculator like game, but at the end you would build an enterprise level web app that you show to employers. The process leaves you a changed man, because of how hard you struggle to succeed:obama:
:damn: they had that shyt running like a full time job

Interesting tho..If you submerge yourself into it that makes learning it soooooo much easier :whoo:

What languages did they teach you? Java?

Dave24

Superstar
Daps
Hello everyone:

I am 30 years old and live in Americus, GA. Small place with very little opportunity.

I graduated in December 2015 from a two year college with an Associate's Degree in Business Management. Previously, I went to a 4 year university but didn't get nothing out of it. I was lazy, procrastinated, and was mentally weak. I ended up taking out many student loans and ended up incurring a lot of debt. I was placed on academic suspension so I went to the two year college to get my Associate's Degree.

I now have $60,000 in student loan debt. I am unemployed and live with my mother. Also, I only have 30 dollars in my savings account. I am obese and any money my parents give me goes to junk food, fast food, etc. I am horrible with impulse control.

I would like to become financially successful one day. From where I'm at is that possible? Or, is it too late and should I just accept that fact?

What are IT Careers like and can I be successful in that?

Julius Skrrvin

I be winkin' through the scope
Daps
:laff:

If yall are studying for CCNA like me, read this:

CCNA Routing & Switching Certification for the New Digital Landscape

That’s why the CCNA Routing and Switching certification is being updated to address the changing skill sets required for core network engineers. These upgrades address the fundamentals of programmable networks, including the related controller types and tools that are available to support software-driven network architectures. That’s in addition to an understanding of how virtualized and cloud services will interact and impact enterprise networks.

The revised program also includes Quality of Service (QoS) principles and applicability, along with additional focus on IPv6 and basic network security.

The move comes as part of our overall shift toward programmable networks throughout the Cisco certification portfolio. In November 2015, we introduced a new framework at the expert (CCIE) level to address these emerging technologies. These updates to the CCNA R&S represent the continued evolution of our training and certification programs.

The revised CCNA certification provides you with industry-recognized skills for today and the future and will give you the knowledge and tools needed to evolve the network.

Technology will pass you by, and quickly, if you don’t have the needed skills. Start the journey to update yours at our CCNA Routing & Switching page.

:beli: thats what i get for buying some study materials :beli:

Sonny Bonds

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
@Dave24

That fact that you want to change is good. You get into IT.

I had a friend that went to school in Americus for a while. He hated it there.

For food, start by giving up soda; give yourself a month to do it slowly, if you're addicted. If your parents have a crock pot\slow cooker start using it to make yourself proper meals. Google for recipes or look on Reddit if you're into that site.

How are you paying your loan debt? When I lived in Georgia, I looked for jobs at all of the surrounding counties. Also, the state has their own jobs website.

GoGetMyDamnBelt_

All Star
Daps
Reppin
MIA
I don't know if I should of just stayed in the Animation major I was in when I first started college. The IT field requires so many memorization skills...
What makes me more upset at this point is that I have no clue what branch I want to go in specifically and I'm a year & a half from graduating with my Bachelor in IT. Some students in my class are talking about wanting to be a Integration Development Engineer or Database Management or CISA while others say they are Network Administrators or IT Telecom Analyst. I'm like :mindblown: "how did you figure out what job you wanted specifically?!"

GollyImGully

Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
:laff:

If yall are studying for CCNA like me, read this:

CCNA Routing & Switching Certification for the New Digital Landscape

That’s why the CCNA Routing and Switching certification is being updated to address the changing skill sets required for core network engineers. These upgrades address the fundamentals of programmable networks, including the related controller types and tools that are available to support software-driven network architectures. That’s in addition to an understanding of how virtualized and cloud services will interact and impact enterprise networks.

The revised program also includes Quality of Service (QoS) principles and applicability, along with additional focus on IPv6 and basic network security.

The move comes as part of our overall shift toward programmable networks throughout the Cisco certification portfolio. In November 2015, we introduced a new framework at the expert (CCIE) level to address these emerging technologies. These updates to the CCNA R&S represent the continued evolution of our training and certification programs.

The revised CCNA certification provides you with industry-recognized skills for today and the future and will give you the knowledge and tools needed to evolve the network.

Technology will pass you by, and quickly, if you don’t have the needed skills. Start the journey to update yours at our CCNA Routing & Switching page.

:beli: thats what i get for buying some study materials :beli:

Looks like imma have to pick up python or something

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
I don't know if I should of just stayed in the Animation major I was in when I first started college. The IT field requires so many memorization skills...
What makes me more upset at this point is that I have no clue what branch I want to go in specifically and I'm a year & a half from graduating with my Bachelor in IT. Some students in my class are talking about wanting to be a Integration Development Engineer or Database Management or CISA while others say they are Network Administrators or IT Telecom Analyst. I'm like :mindblown: "how did you figure out what job you wanted specifically?!"

If you got into IT for money you already lost.

Lol quit letting these dudes gas yall heads up. With anything in life you find what interests you and pays what you feel is livable and then persue it. If you dont know what area you want to focus in it tells me you didnt pick this because it interested you. I could be wrong but thats just what i see from your post.

Dave24

Superstar
Daps
If you got into IT for money you already lost.

Lol quit letting these dudes gas yall heads up. With anything in life you find what interests you and pays what you feel is livable and then persue it. If you dont know what area you want to focus in it tells me you didnt pick this because it interested you. I could be wrong but thats just what i see from your post.

How can I find out if I'm interested in IT, computer programming, etc before actually diving into it? You're right not to do it for the money but I don't know if it is something I would be interested in or not.

Dave24

Superstar
Daps
@Dave24

That fact that you want to change is good. You get into IT.

I had a friend that went to school in Americus for a while. He hated it there.

For food, start by giving up soda; give yourself a month to do it slowly, if you're addicted. If your parents have a crock pot\slow cooker start using it to make yourself proper meals. Google for recipes or look on Reddit if you're into that site.

How are you paying your loan debt? When I lived in Georgia, I looked for jobs at all of the surrounding counties. Also, the state has their own jobs website.

I am not paying my loan debt since I'm still unemployed at the moment.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
How can I find out if I'm interested in IT, computer programming, etc before actually diving into it? You're right not to do it for the money but I don't know if it is something I would be interested in or not.

Google these areas and do online tutorials/labs. Code academy and free code camp are good places to look, or for the infra stuff look into building a home lab. If you are bored doing all of this than it may not be for you.

Dave24

Superstar
Daps
Google these areas and do online tutorials/labs. Code academy and free code camp are good places to look, or for the infra stuff look into building a home lab. If you are bored doing all of this than it may not be for you.

Is IT basically being a computer repair technician?

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
Is IT basically being a computer repair technician?

IT Is a broad term. Lotta times when people say IT they are referring to the Infrastructure side of things. infrastruture is made up of variousnareas such as storage,service/help desk, DB Admin, Cloud, Networking, etc etc

Then you have The Development side of things which is where you find programmers/developers

Then you have DevOps which is a new concept which is meant to bridge the gap between development and operations (ie.system admins).

And then you have Info Secruity which is kind of self explanitory.

Roles like Project Managers and Business Analyst can exist in all of the realms as they are the middle men between the business and the technical stakeholders.

GollyImGully

Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
Python is actually straightforward as hell from what I have played with in codeacademy.
Yea I've been fukking with it for the past few hours and its actually simple enough to grasp :whew:

These guys around me doing scripts with C# and powershell and i'm sitting here listening to them talk everyday like :dwillhuh:

TRFG

Not who you think
Daps

sounds like you picked IT because of the starting salary :sas2: