IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

duncanthetall

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
WHODEY/BIGBLUE/SNOWGANG/MIDNIGHTBOYZ
Okay. So I'm tired of working two shytty jobs and not even getting real opportunities at anything decent that's full time. How do I break into IT? Is there a definite "how to get started" post in this thread? Starting from the beginning. I'm more than smart enough to learn, I feel. I've just got to put in the time.

duncanthetall

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
WHODEY/BIGBLUE/SNOWGANG/MIDNIGHTBOYZ
Okay. So I'm tired of working two shytty jobs and not even getting real opportunities at anything decent that's full time. How do I break into IT? Is there a definite "how to get started" post in this thread? Starting from the beginning. I'm more than smart enough to learn, I feel. I've just got to put in the time.

Sonny Bonds

Superstar
Supporter
Daps

1. Study for and pass the 2 A+ certification exams

Book to read: CompTIA A+ Certification All-in-One Exam Guide, by Michael Meyers The edition of the book you use will depend upon whether you take the exam before June 30 (?). After which, a new version of the exam will come out. Also go to CompTIA's site and read up on the exams.

Study resource: Search YouTube for: Professor Messer A+

2. Try to get a help desk job.

3. Do what you did for step 1, but for the CompTIA Network+ exam (some people in this thread say this step is optional; I never did it)

3b. Do you have a help desk job yet? Look at job listings in your area. Are they asking for Windows knowledge or Mac?

4. Depending on your answer to 3b -- Study for and take either: MCSA: Windows 10 exam or OSX Support Essentials exam or both

4b. Do you have a help desk job yet?? Because you should've have been applying for one since you got your A+ cert.

5. With the certs and\or experience under your belt, you can pick an IT career path to focus on.

If you've any questions just ask.

Data-Hawk

I have no strings on me.
Daps
Reppin
Oasis
JUST BLEW 600 BUCKS AND FIALED THE ITIL EXAM 3 TIMES IN A ROW, ONCE BY 1 DAMN QUESTION IM SICK RIGHT NOW
:francis::mjcry::mjcry::mjcry::mjcry:

ISH AINT EVEN HARD ITS JUST WORDED SO TRICKY
Damn Breh..Sorry to hear that. Yeah I passed it by 1 point. I thought the only way to get the ITIL was through your job though? maybe they changed it.

CHL

Superstar
Daps
Any IT certs brehs have experience with

hacking

?

GollyImGully

Too many wavy women, gotta log outta IG
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
You should move to the DMV. You'll get hired on the spot

Breh that has passed my mind a few times. Idk what it is but getting a network engineer role in ny is tough. I see a lot of positions in va

Doesn't matter what they think really. With a CCIE you'll always be at the head of the pack. Obviously if the position requires 10 years of exp and you only have two you won't qualify, but you'd be eating well for the rest of your career.

:noah: true

I need that 6 figure lifestyle

Malcolmxxx_23

Let's go panthers
Supporter
Daps
brehs i need a side hustle so i can leave my current job

too late to get the A++ CERT .. @Data-Hawk
did i miss the boom?

Last edited:

DonnyB

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
Does anybody have and any experience with TestOut- Pc Pro? I am currently enrolled in a CIS program at a community college and just took the Pc Pro Certification test for our class final and scored 1500/1500. The test was simulation based. Would you say i'm ready to take the A+ based off of this? I will post the questions if I'm able to.