IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Kane

#BonesGANG
Daps
Reppin
Chicago
I'm self studying, and I have the Mike Meyers A+ book.

Basically he says that you should never pay full price for an exam, and he recommended totalsem.com to get vouchers.

I went on the site, but the vouchers are only $20 less than full price.

Is there any way to get a better voucher, or will I just have to pay that?

TRFG

Not who you think
Daps
Can you guys recommend which certs I should do

I'll have my IT bachelors a year and I want to become a Systems Engineer

TLR Is Mental Poison

The Coli Is Not For You
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Opposite Of Elliott Wilson's Mohawk
SQL heads- is it frowned upon to use "design view" to make queries? I have been learning it through Access and it looks like SQL Server has a similar tool. Oracle and other shyt doesn't though. I can script if I have to but design view is so much faster and easier

Also what is the most popular RDBMS for analytics? And I guess just in general?

Spin

All Star
Daps
Question about the A+. I was on the website and it says if you take it by June 30th, you can still take the older 801/802 exam. If after, I must take the 901/902. I assume after June 30th even if the requirements change, an A+ cert will still be an A+ cert correct? Is it even worth looking at the new material in the 901/902?

As far as pricing is the retail price of $199 for both the 801/802 portions of the exam? I just want to make sure each one isn't $199.

On the Comptia website I saw a cert for Cloud+. Does anyone know how this cert is viewed if wanting to eventually get into DevOps? I know most of the next step advice has been to either go for CCNA, Security+, or MCSA route. It looks like both Microsoft and CISCO have Cloud routs so would the Comptia cert even be worth the time?

King Sun

Big Boss
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Question about the A+. I was on the website and it says if you take it by June 30th, you can still take the older 801/802 exam. If after, I must take the 901/902. I assume after June 30th even if the requirements change, an A+ cert will still be an A+ cert correct? Is it even worth looking at the new material in the 901/902?

As far as pricing is the retail price of $199 for both the 801/802 portions of the exam? I just want to make sure each one isn't $199.

On the Comptia website I saw a cert for Cloud+. Does anyone know how this cert is viewed if wanting to eventually get into DevOps? I know most of the next step advice has been to either go for CCNA, Security+, or MCSA route. It looks like both Microsoft and CISCO have Cloud routs so would the Comptia cert even be worth the time?
Yeah your A+ will still be a A+. They update the exam like that to keep everything updated but you will still have your regular A+ only difference after June 30th you will have to take 901-902. And yeah the A+ has two parts of the exam that you pay for separately

Splash

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
As I'm looking at contact roles I realize my skill set is just not up to par with the money I wanna be making
Need to order some security reading material, just finished this VPN book which was a good refresher of alot of networking aspects

There is an old Cisco ASA that will be leaving the office with me today :ld:

RubioTheCruel

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, NY
@bdizzle @krexzen @acri1 @No Homo @RubioTheCruel @GollyImGully what do yall think of Juniper? Got a chance to play around with JunOS and I really like it. Feels easy to use :ehh:

Seems like Cisco is so dominant in r/s and the training space though. Haven't seen a single offered course for JNCIS yet :huhldup:

I haven't encountered a lot of Juniper equipment in the wild myself. Govt uses it a lot I hear, there's a SRX210 implemented at my job for a city agency

krexzen

All Star
Daps
@bdizzle @krexzen @acri1 @No Homo @RubioTheCruel @GollyImGully what do yall think of Juniper? Got a chance to play around with JunOS and I really like it. Feels easy to use :ehh:

Seems like Cisco is so dominant in r/s and the training space though. Haven't seen a single offered course for JNCIS yet :huhldup:

You see Juniper a lot more in service provider environments. Very nice routers and their switches are getting better as well. A lot of features right out the box. I like junos better than ios to honest. It's obvious that junos was developed with a plan in mind. They saw the weaknesses and shortcomings in ios and built junos accordingly.

As for the JNCIS, Juniper offers free PDFs on their website that contain all the information you need to pass the ENT, SP, and SEC JNCIS exams. You can also download the Junos Genius App for practice questions. Certifying for Juniper is very cheap and easy up to the JNCIS level. It gets very expensive at the JNCIP level. There are no easily obtainable/affordable books for this level. Depending on the direction you take, you will most likely have to drop between $600 - $2000 just for classes and/or official Juniper course ware material. Far more expensive than most CCNP study material. Juniper keeps their documentation and material very close to the vest.

FreshFromATL

Self Made
Daps
Reppin
ATL
SQL heads- is it frowned upon to use "design view" to make queries? I have been learning it through Access and it looks like SQL Server has a similar tool. Oracle and other shyt doesn't though. I can script if I have to but design view is so much faster and easier

Also what is the most popular RDBMS for analytics? And I guess just in general?

If you're going to be a developer you better learn how to write your queries.