IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Silkk

Thats My Quarterback :to:
Daps
Consider yourself blessed man. Every help desk Ive been at is hell on earth.
Oh i've been there.

High volume Call Center is much worse tho, and there's people who do that shyt forever.

But i've been really "blessed" in my last two positions.

RubioTheCruel

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, NY
Having an up to date skillset is so important. If you're in infrastructure, you need to know Linux, how to script(logging into servers manually isn't the wave), plus some configuration management solution(puppet/chef/cfengine, saltstack). I get weekly emails like this from recruiters just from having an up to date LinkedIn:

Please find the job descriptions for the 4 positions I mentioned below.

My contact information is down there as well.

Salaries are pretty open. 155K is the max target for the Sr. Sys Admin. 170K is max target for the Production Lead (Lead DevOps). Could be flex here though fir the right person.

Domain is mobile ad tech. Client is a subsidiary of a publically traded company. Very large and stable.

These are all full-time permanent position​

↓R↑LYB

I trained Sheng Long and Shonuff
Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan
Windows system admin (GPOs, SCCM, imaging)
Weblogic (SOA and BPM)
SQL clustering

You're the run of the mil admin breh. You need to learn some new skills and specialize.

Since you already know AD, start learning powershell (and how to do AD related tasks), Azure, AD DS, AD LDS, and AD FS (SSO, SAML, etc).

Also start learning about AD CS.

That would make you a pretty good directory services engineer.

Azure AD is getting pretty big right now and federation has already been a high demand skillset. Once you learn how to configure the shyt I mentioned above, learn how to integrate it with non Microsoft platforms.

Last edited:

lepard

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
You're the run of the mil admin breh. You need to learn some new skills and specialize.

Since you already know AD, start learning powershell (and how to do AD related tasks), Azure, AD DS, AD LDS, and AD FS (SSO, SAML, etc).

Also start learning about AD CS.

That would make you a pretty good directory services engineer.

Azure AD is getting pretty big right now and federation has already been a high demand skillset. Once you learn how to configure the shyt I mentioned above, learn how to integrate it with non Microsoft platforms.

Good looking out breh

I have a lab at home so this should be fairly straightforward to set up and get some practice in.

Last edited:
Daps
@bdizzle @RubioTheCruel @Ice_MF_Mike I got a foreign connect for IT jobs :ehh:

I'm being put in for a position that says they'll pay for my CCNA and give me networking experience, as well as pay some other education.

My question is, if I start doing contract work out of the country (this would be in New Zealand) would it affect my future ability to get jobs in the US? The skills and experience should be universal right? :lupe:
Experience is experience no matter where you got it. Plus, having experience in other countries might be valuable when you go interview for a global company.

King Sun

Big Boss
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Man I gig at chase is turning slowly into a help desk role brehs :mjcry:. With this new policy they want us to use a sheet to log in the tickets we do manually, the time, and everything. Its like being in a call center now without being on the phones :mjcry:

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
Having an up to date skillset is so important. If you're in infrastructure, you need to know Linux, how to script(logging into servers manually isn't the wave), plus some configuration management solution(puppet/chef/cfengine, saltstack). I get weekly emails like this from recruiters just from having an up to date LinkedIn:

Word, I was going to teach myself Python (already started but had to pause for mid terms), Puppet, and I have a Linux class I bought on Udemy. Was going to maybe try to get the AWS cert this summer just to have some knowledge on the product since they are dominating the game right now. I`m a BA but DevOPs is the wave right now and I`m trying to get in where I fit in.

RubioTheCruel

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, NY
With this new policy they want us to use a sheet to log in the tickets we do manually, the time, and everything.

Head for the hills. That policy is the precursor to layoffs. They're looking to see how many man hours you are spending on trouble tickets and if they really need as much staff as they currently have

Data-Hawk

I have no strings on me.
Daps
Reppin
Oasis
Man I gig at chase is turning slowly into a help desk role brehs :mjcry:. With this new policy they want us to use a sheet to log in the tickets we do manually, the time, and everything. Its like being in a call center now without being on the phones :mjcry:

Opportunity to build or recommend something for them.Even if it doesn't lead to a raise or promotion, at least try to make your life easier and build a new skillet to put on your resume..