IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

↓R↑LYB

I trained Sheng Long and Shonuff
Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan
I'm in the same boat as the poster right before this.

I just finished learning html, css, javascript, php, MySql angular, some node. Kind of just started python, but because I'm pretty experienced with coding the basics really aren't that bad.

Where do I start with this whole certs business? I see A+ and Networking+ mentioned, and a ton of bunch of acronyms being thrown around, but have no idea where to begin. Security looks like a real interesting thing to get into. What is the best path? A+ > Net+ > Sec+ > CCNA > CISSP > CEH > GSEC?

I really want to get my professional life started here, but man I'm confused. I assume the first step is Help Desk, but how do I even qualify for that? Are there online courses to start the above?

Get your A+

↓R↑LYB

Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan
After trying on my own I had trouble focusing and getting my first A+ cert.

Went to ITT Tech today to see what they could do for me. I know it's a scam but I don't have time to go to community college and at 25 I hate my current job. I've been wasting away for years and am desperate to the point I'll take any legal way out.

My plan.
Get my GED and my A+ Cert at the same time finish around the same time. Call around and see if any place will let me work for free or maybe even hire me with just the one cert. Gain experience, while going to school and get my associates in networking, I think that's what the guy called it. From there get another cert and then a decent paying job and build on that.

Can anyone help? Does this seem like an ok plan or am I wasting my time?

If you can't discipline yourself enough to study on your own, you're gonna have a rough time in this industry breh. You have to be self motivated to make it.

Pool_Shark

Can’t move with me in this digital space
Daps
If you can't discipline yourself enough to study on your own, you're gonna have a rough time in this industry breh. You have to be self motivated to make it.
I went ahead and bought the book cause I was reading it off my computer and the temptation was too strong but no excuses. Thank you for any help or advice

↓R↑LYB

Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan
I went ahead and bought the book cause I was reading it off my computer and the temptation was too strong but no excuses. Thank you for any help or advice

Turn off your phone/tv/computer, go somewhere quiet and start studying. It's really that simple :ehh:

Also get used to bringing the book with you everywhere you go. Get in the habit of studying 24x7.

↓R↑LYB

Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan
Same shyt man. Been doing a lot of :snooze: password / account control but while I got downtime I'm running thru security + I guess :yeshrug:

Gonna have that shyt by april:eat:

How much exp you got? You should be able to eat good with that. Start going online and checking for positions you want once you got the cert and see what skills they're asking for. Make sure you have those as well as the cert.

Silkk

Thats My Quarterback :to:
Daps

And if you can get some PEDs, get some

adderall-xr.540920391.large.jpg

Julius Skrrvin

I be winkin' through the scope
Daps
How much exp you got? You should be able to eat good with that. Start going online and checking for positions you want once you got the cert and see what skills they're asking for. Make sure you have those as well as the cert.

Only about 4 months :patrice:

Just gonna wrap up this security+ and ccent in the next four months.. Also trying to achieve some python competency :lift:. CCNA hopefully before years up. I wanna be a network engineer but don't mind picking up some security skills...

One thing this new job has taught me is that there's so many people just sittin around doing nothing. Brehs at my help desk watching stuff on putlocker all day in between calls... In their 30s, 40s, and, 50s just settled in not doing shyt and comfortable... :patrice:

They all say shyt like "I just like helping people" and "I like being hands on" :dahell: and then talk shyt about the dudes in Networking or the server team or telecom or desktop admins :stopitslime:

krexzen

All Star
Daps

I love hearing co-workers talk about needing class and xyz to learn or do something. If I'm going against people with that mind set, I know that I'll win.

TrebleMan

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
I just got the Meyers Comptia A+ certification book.

Should I buy parts for a computer and make my own following along with the book, or do you guys think just studying the book on it's own is sufficient? I also plan on watching those Messer videos.

↓R↑LYB

Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan
Got my A+ a few days ago. :ahh:

What are some good industries that will work with someone that doesn't have professional experience? (Help desk/User support)

Spend a few hours working on your resume. Also start working on your next cert (I'd recommend the MCSA in Windows 10 cert).

Sonny Bonds

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Bruh in nyc a few of these help desk jobs want an A+, bachelors, four years exp, and basic Powershell knowledge :francis::mjcry:
I have a bachelors, A+, and 1.5 years of experience.

Job 1: a pre recorded webcam video interview and an in person interview. They want me to come back later this week for another one. This job pays in the low 40s... in NYC

Job 2: Phone interview with HR, an in person interview, and a take home test with topics that were listed as bonus \there be opportunity to learn these skills here in the job ad.

I'm sad that even if I ended up getting a new job, I'll probably still be struggling.

All Star
Daps
Spend a few hours working on your resume. Also start working on your next cert (I'd recommend the MCSA in Windows 10 cert).

Yeah, I've re-did my whole resume and sent it out to a few listings online. Hopefully I finally get some callbacks.

Good lookin out on the MCSA, too. I wasn't even thinking about MS certs.

I just got the Meyers Comptia A+ certification book.

Should I buy parts for a computer and make my own following along with the book, or do you guys think just studying the book on it's own is sufficient? I also plan on watching those Messer videos.

For someone with an A+, you should know how to build a PC and identify components on a motherboard. Just look around for refurbs. Newegg, ebay, etc. tend to have some for < $100. Take it apart and re-build it.

Sonny Bonds

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Had an interview for a Mac Support role. It went well. The job ad asks for 1+ year experience and says that there'll be opportunity for training in Sys Admin type stuff.

So, they emailed me 2 documents with questions to answer within the next couple days.

What the hell? First document - Powershell questions

Second document - DevOps\Sys admin stuff
I've got a follow up interview for this postion. Shout out to @bdizzle for the help\real talk.