IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Splash

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Got the MCSA now. Wanna go for server MCSE im tired of exams :mjcry: Also need some more exposure to security

Starting to use alot more SQL at work which while is cool is i feel is distracting? But ive aeen a few jobs asking for sql experience so thats ok i guess

Had my 6 month review 3k increase... Im told if i pass a cert for some software we support its a 2k rise.... but my mind is set on leaving :pachaha:

Tryna get the fukk outta London,waking up freezing cold :dahell:n goin to work is like an endurance run :scusthov:

Hopefully after I clear MCSE a company could justify sponsorship :shaq2:

MrRDU

Superstar
Daps
I'm a MBA student and we just had SVP at SAP on campus. If I have to learn either SAP or SAS, which would be the most beneficial. I do not have any prior experience, fyi.

Quest

Pro
Daps
Sent my resume into a System Engineer gig the other week when applying to bunch of places, and i got invited to a group interview for a Systems Engineer:merchant: job the other day, shyt i dont even have a cert yet :damn:

I came in today, and though I was def outclassed by most the other candidates in the on job experience department, the owner really fukked with me, and i was able to adequately answer all his questions. I held my own in dat bytch brehs

giphy.gif

shyt was a really informative experience, got some good tips from the other candidates as well as the interviewer.

Said he'd keep me updated in the next week:whew:. but i had a great interview and strong test scores for this other help desk gig and got interviews with other places. imma see how everything pans out

That gif was on point, for what you were saying, lmao.

Daps
Reppin
Queens/NYC
This doesn't line up with IT IMO.

The best opps for IT you don't get via recruiters or direct apply. They have yall taking tests and shyt.

Read deeper into the article cause a lot of the shyt is true 1000% across industries. If you want the good jobs you got to network and get in thru the back door.

Get direct to the hiring manager AKA your direct would be boss. Then impress him with your achievements. None of this ___ years ___ language BS requirements.

It's about whether you can do the work or not and beyond.

↓R↑LYB

I trained Sheng Long and Shonuff
Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan
The best opps for IT you don't get via recruiters or direct apply. They have yall taking tests and shyt.

Read deeper into the article cause a lot of the shyt is true 1000% across industries. If you want the good jobs you got to network and get in thru the back door.

Get direct to the hiring manager AKA your direct would be boss. Then impress him with your achievements. None of this ___ years ___ language BS requirements.

It's about whether you can do the work or not and beyond.

Based on my experience that doesn't line it up with IT :manny:

Pool_Shark

Can’t move with me in this digital space
Daps
After trying on my own I had trouble focusing and getting my first A+ cert.

Went to ITT Tech today to see what they could do for me. I know it's a scam but I don't have time to go to community college and at 25 I hate my current job. I've been wasting away for years and am desperate to the point I'll take any legal way out.

My plan.
Get my GED and my A+ Cert at the same time finish around the same time. Call around and see if any place will let me work for free or maybe even hire me with just the one cert. Gain experience, while going to school and get my associates in networking, I think that's what the guy called it. From there get another cert and then a decent paying job and build on that.

Can anyone help? Does this seem like an ok plan or am I wasting my time?

Julius Skrrvin

I be winkin' through the scope
Daps
Job boring as shyt man:russell:

Boring service desk shyt like password resets. Im good in Houston, i just cant stand this wack ass level 1 shyt no more.

Same shyt man. Been doing a lot of :snooze: password / account control but while I got downtime I'm running thru security + I guess :yeshrug:

Gonna have that shyt by april:eat:

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
I'm a MBA student and we just had SVP at SAP on campus. If I have to learn either SAP or SAS, which would be the most beneficial. I do not have any prior experience, fyi.
SAP is used by like 90% of Fortune companies in one form or another. SAP also has Recent Graduate programs where they train you and get you certified and then put you in the field.

GoldCoastSaint

Yall nikkas hate everything but Tariq Nasheed
Daps
Reppin
Chicago, Illinois, United States of America
Im not a breh so hopefully you guys won't mind helping me out. I really want to get into IT and I'm going to start by reading this thread in its entirety. Just wondering if the advice is still relevant? This thread started in 2012 and I know IT changes a lot. Should I still start with A+ and Networking?