IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

TrebleMan

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
I'm in the same boat as the poster right before this.

I just finished learning html, css, javascript, php, MySql angular, some node. Kind of just started python, but because I'm pretty experienced with coding the basics really aren't that bad.

Where do I start with this whole certs business? I see A+ and Networking+ mentioned, and a ton of bunch of acronyms being thrown around, but have no idea where to begin. Security looks like a real interesting thing to get into. What is the best path? A+ > Net+ > Sec+ > CCNA > CISSP > CEH > GSEC?

I really want to get my professional life started here, but man I'm confused. I assume the first step is Help Desk, but how do I even qualify for that? Are there online courses to start the above?

Last edited:

NYtymes

All Star
Daps
Im not a breh so hopefully you guys won't mind helping me out. I really want to get into IT and I'm going to start by reading this thread in its entirety. Just wondering if the advice is still relevant? This thread started in 2012 and I know IT changes a lot. Should I still start with A+ and Networking?

im still in the early stages as well ,but i would say start studying for the A+ which is basically the entry level certification of the IT world...

get this book and study
51iPFg0dTAL._SX377_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

also watch this Free course on youtube by professor messor which covers all of the exam objectives in order https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLG49S3nxzAnmlC1ZsppuM7yleDuYCMHrv

GoldCoastSaint

Yall nikkas hate everything but Tariq Nasheed
Daps
Reppin
Chicago, Illinois, United States of America
im still in the early stages as well ,but i would say start studying for the A+ which is basically the entry level certification of the IT world...

get this book and study
51iPFg0dTAL._SX377_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

also watch this Free course on youtube by professor messor which covers all of the exam objectives in order https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLG49S3nxzAnmlC1ZsppuM7yleDuYCMHrv

Really appreciate this. Thanks. I know this is a male dominated field so I wasn't sure who to ask for help.

Rawtid

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
After trying on my own I had trouble focusing and getting my first A+ cert.

Went to ITT Tech today to see what they could do for me. I know it's a scam but I don't have time to go to community college and at 25 I hate my current job. I've been wasting away for years and am desperate to the point I'll take any legal way out.

My plan.
Get my GED and my A+ Cert at the same time finish around the same time. Call around and see if any place will let me work for free or maybe even hire me with just the one cert. Gain experience, while going to school and get my associates in networking, I think that's what the guy called it. From there get another cert and then a decent paying job and build on that.

Can anyone help? Does this seem like an ok plan or am I wasting my time?

It sounds like a good plan but you should do your volunteering while you're getting educated. GED and A+ programs are usually offered in the evening so do your volunteering in the day. Get you some business cards and target retirement homes and just offer to teach basic computer skills a couple days a week. That way, once you get your certification you have experience AND the cert and you can start focusing on paying jobs.

Rawtid

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Im not a breh so hopefully you guys won't mind helping me out. I really want to get into IT and I'm going to start by reading this thread in its entirety. Just wondering if the advice is still relevant? This thread started in 2012 and I know IT changes a lot. Should I still start with A+ and Networking?

It really depends on what you do. A good majority of people in IT start in Help desk and an A+ is good to have for that. There are so many other facets of IT and each has their own certification. Start by researching the top certifications and then search for a couple of jobs that use that cert. Look at the job descriptions and if it seems like what you want to do, you can narrow down a cert that way. I personally HATE help desk, networking and just really the hardware side in general. I'm more into data, reporting/analysis and the project management sides.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
Current job, i was 30 minutes late to the interview :manny:

lol, in this the guy was asking questions particularly about requirements gathering and creation but I kept answering in the aspect of creating the actual solution, and one of the times I meant to say adding a slide show on a site that displayed products but said Power point by accident, and dude cut me off like "Powerpoint lol my grandma doesnt even use that :skip:". I think I finished strong, but the first 2-3 questions the guy asked them in a manner of creating a solution opposed to what Requirements would I define for the said business need. Once he clarified he didnt necessarily want me to speak on Solutioning then we were straight. I think I did decent but dont think I crushed it, but I have a strong resume so I guess it will boil down to someone else just having a better interview or something. i dont think I blew it but more so that I`m just "one of the candidates" as they asked when could I start and they have a few other interviews so whether i get it or not I should here something in the upcoming weeks. We shall see though, I won't trip because I know where I may have messed up.

Silkk

Thats My Quarterback :to:
Daps
lol, in this the guy was asking questions particularly about requirements gathering and creation but I kept answering in the aspect of creating the actual solution, and one of the times I meant to say adding a slide show on a site that displayed products but said Power point by accident, and dude cut me off like "Powerpoint lol my grandma doesnt even use that :skip:". I think I finished strong, but the first 2-3 questions the guy asked them in a manner of creating a solution opposed to what Requirements would I define for the said business need. Once he clarified he didnt necessarily want me to speak on Solutioning then we were straight. I think I did decent but dont think I crushed it, but I have a strong resume so I guess it will boil down to someone else just having a better interview or something. i dont think I blew it but more so that I`m just "one of the candidates" as they asked when could I start and they have a few other interviews so whether i get it or not I should here something in the upcoming weeks. We shall see though, I won't trip because I know where I may have messed up.
I would've hit him with the

full

After my contract expired, i noticed i did REAL bad on phone interviews i had scheduled in the morning/immediately waking up.

Wasn't answering shyt right :bryan:

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
I would've hit him with the

full

After my contract expired, i noticed i did REAL bad on phone interviews i had scheduled in the morning/immediately waking up.

Wasn't answering shyt right :bryan:

yea when you are comfortable and not really looking then you do get rusty when it comes to interviews. I`m not tripping though I have a decent gig right now, but this was just an opportunity too amazing to pass up and I knew it was a job I could do which is why i Shot my shot and they hit me up ASAP, lol day after I sent my resume I saw the Director dude peeped my Linkedin and I was like :lolbron:, and an hour later he sent me an invite about an interview. This joint had him and everyone on the team so I can tell they are probably trying to replace someone who left since there was no HR screening or anything like that. We will see though.

TrebleMan

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
How much time spent studying do you guys think is enough to be ready to pass the A+ exam?

A lot of these Help Desk A+ jobs also look like they require a Bachelor's. How much weight does that hold?

Silkk

Thats My Quarterback :to:
Daps
How much time spent studying do you guys think is enough to be ready to pass the A+ exam?

A lot of these Help Desk A+ jobs also look like they require a Bachelor's. How much weight does that hold?
Until you can pass the practice tests easily

Bachelor's? For help desk? :heh: