IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Sonny Bonds

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Had an interview for a Mac Support role. It went well. The job ad asks for 1+ year experience and says that there'll be opportunity for training in Sys Admin type stuff.

So, they emailed me 2 documents with questions to answer within the next couple days.

What the hell? First document - Powershell questions

Second document - DevOps\Sys admin stuff :sadcam:

All I have is A+ and a year and half of level zero support (minor conference room support & new user setup)

I think I've got a handle on the powershell, but a lot of the other questions are beyond me. :mjcry:

Silkk

Thats My Quarterback :to:
Daps
Had an interview for a Mac Support role. It went well. The job ad asks for 1+ year experience and says that there'll be opportunity for training in Sys Admin type stuff.

So, they emailed me 2 documents with questions to answer within the next couple days.

What the hell? First document - Powershell questions

Second document - DevOps\Sys admin stuff :sadcam:

All I have is A+ and a year and half of level zero support (minor conference room support & new user setup)

I think I've got a handle on the powershell, but a lot of the other questions are beyond me. :mjcry:
Google that shyt

↓R↑LYB

I trained Sheng Long and Shonuff
Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan
Been meaning to ask, fukking with this powershell course now. Is that still the hottest/most standout skill to know?

Go to the job boards and search. That's the best way to find what skills are in demand

Sonny Bonds

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Google that shyt
Almost done the powershell questions. But the other stuff...
sgpo49.jpg

3 of the 9 questions. I don't even know what the 3rd one is referring to.

Silkk

Thats My Quarterback :to:
Daps
sgpo49.jpg

:patrice: For the 2nd one couldn't someone just make a group policy enforcing that shyt?

↓R↑LYB

Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan
sgpo49.jpg

Question 1: Install Windows Server and set it up as an RODC (read only domain controller). Secure the connection using site-to-site VPN

Question 2: Create a powershell script to return a list of users whose passwordAge attribute is older than 6 months and email the report to the users manager.

Question 3: Enable Rapid Fail Protection on the App Pool and write a powershell script to notify administrators when the pool is down.

On the real these aren't lvl 1 questions though. Unfortunately you have companies that want to pay lvl1 salary for lvl 2/3 type of work

FatherSimp

Enough white hoes to last me thru ATL
Daps
Whats the best book or way to learn both active directory and powershell?

Been seeing those pop up when looking for help desk jobs

Sonny Bonds

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
On the real these aren't lvl 1 questions though. Unfortunately you have companies that want to pay lvl1 salary for lvl 2/3 type of work
I don't even know how much it pays. I still haven't mastered the art of keeping my mouth shut when asked about salary. I said $45k because I really want out of my current job and it's more than what I'm making. Also, everyone here says not to worry about salary when starting out.

This is the rest of the questions:

ivcqhh.jpg

The only one I know is first one: Powershell. I'm not sure how much they expect from me. If I had to guess, I'd say this is for a higher position and they give it to lower tier applicants just to see what they know.

↓R↑LYB

Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan
I don't even know how much it pays. I still haven't mastered the art of keeping my mouth shut when asked about salary. I said $45k because I really want out of my current job and it's more than what I'm making. Also, everyone here says not to worry about salary when starting out.

This is the rest of the questions:

ivcqhh.jpg

The only one I know is first one: Powershell. I'm not sure how much they expect from me. If I had to guess, I'd say this is for a higher position and they give it to lower tier applicants just to see what they know.

Me giving you the answers won't help you. If you want to learn, look the answers up, fire up a VM, and verify it works. If they're asking you this shyt it's probably because they expect you to know how to do it.

If you have questions on setting it up I can help you.

Sonny Bonds

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Me giving you the answers won't help you. If you want to learn, look the answers up, fire up a VM, and verify it works. If they're asking you this shyt it's probably because they expect you to know how to do it.

If you have questions on setting it up I can help you.
Thanks, man. If I have specific questions, I'll probably pop in this thread.

But for now... I forgot the password on my Server 2012 VM. :francis:

semtex

:)
Daps
people think UI stuff is light-hearted "not real development" but boy does that change when you actually get into the industry :noah:

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
people think UI stuff is light-hearted "not real development" but boy does that change when you actually get into the industry :noah:

I'm actually finding the server-side more sane than UI development on the front-end. Front end development used to be html, css, and a sprinkling of Javascript, usually in the form of jQuery to make static pages with some cool effects. Now, front-end development has turned extremely complex, and what adds to the fact is that there are 10,000 tools that all do similar things in slightly different ways... add to the fact that JS is not the most readable language and it can make developing on the front end headache inducing. Couple that with the fact that you have to make sure that your site works with 5,000 different screen sizes and the fact that you can't use certain language features because some supported browser doesn't implement it... Let's not forget that all of these framework creators decided to add their custom 'twist' on JS, so you have to deal with that too. FE developers really need to get paid more.