IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

AyBrehHam Linkin

First Black Brehsident
Daps
Reppin
Wiscansin
Sent my resume into a System Engineer gig the other week when applying to bunch of places, and i got invited to a group interview for a Systems Engineer:merchant: job the other day, shyt i dont even have a cert yet :damn:

I came in today, and though I was def outclassed by most the other candidates in the on job experience department, the owner really fukked with me, and i was able to adequately answer all his questions. I held my own in dat bytch brehs

giphy.gif

shyt was a really informative experience, got some good tips from the other candidates as well as the interviewer.

Said he'd keep me updated in the next week:whew:. but i had a great interview and strong test scores for this other help desk gig and got interviews with other places. imma see how everything pans out

Last edited:

↓R↑LYB

I trained Sheng Long and Shonuff
Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan
Sent my resume into a System Engineer gig the other week when applying to bunch of places, and i got invited to a group interview for a Systems Engineer:merchant: job the other day, shyt i dont even have a cert yet :damn:

I came in today, and though I was def outclassed by most the other candidates in the on job experience department, the owner really fukked with me, and i was able to adequately answer all his questions. I held my own in dat bytch brehs

giphy.gif

shyt was a really informative experience, got some good tips from the other candidates as well as the interviewer.

Said he'd keep me updated in the next week:whew:. but i had a great interview and strong test scores for this other help desk gig and got interviews with other places. imma see how everything pans out

You almost there breh. I remember when I was trying to get out of help desk every interview had me like :lupe:

But once you leave help desk it's all gravy breh. 6 figures, 6 certs, 6 pawgs, and 6 Brazilian Jujitsu belts is right around the corner :blessed:

Daps
:patrice: Thinking about making a career change.. Anybody got any advice on how to get started in this field?

I'd like to get into this a year from now if possible

edzyy

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NYC
So I ended up getting my first Help Desk gig back in July.

It was me & 1 other person(IT admin). He was consulted to be the IT guy for a law firm of 50 users & needed a helper.

After a week on the job, he told me he had to take on a year long project elsewhere, but he'd word remotely & leave me on site.

From there my schedule became Mon, Tues, Thurs, & Fri 12pm to 4pm

Then on Wednesday's we'd do the real work since he'd be in.

I should have left at that point cause I knew i'd be in way over my head, but I kept positive & stood there. I also needed the $$$.

Now I'm the only guy on site 4 days a week supporting 50 users & I have ZERO professional experience.

It was cool for the first month since I only dealt with internet issues, minor outlook stuff, & printer issues.

After that month, the IT admin started slacking off & it became hard to get in contact with him when things would go wrong with the legal software(LegalFiles)

People were losing files, not being able to log in, & all sorts of issues. Users there were looking at me to fix things I had no idea about.

You're locked out cause you inputted the wrong password? I can't reset it since only Paul(IT admin) has access to Active Directory.

The server is down? I can't do anything about that since I don't have the credentials to remote in & look at things.

I winged it as best as I could, but in November he let me go due to "lack of experience"

I've had a few interviews since then, but being let go from my last gig is stopping others from giving me a chance.

Just a minor rant. Back to the books I go.

acri1

The Chosen 1
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
So I ended up getting my first Help Desk gig back in July.

It was me & 1 other person(IT admin). He was consulted to be the IT guy for a law firm of 50 users & needed a helper.

After a week on the job, he told me he had to take on a year long project elsewhere, but he'd word remotely & leave me on site.

From there my schedule became Mon, Tues, Thurs, & Fri 12pm to 4pm

Then on Wednesday's we'd do the real work since he'd be in.

I should have left at that point cause I knew i'd be in way over my head, but I kept positive & stood there. I also needed the $$$.

Now I'm the only guy on site 4 days a week supporting 50 users & I have ZERO professional experience.

It was cool for the first month since I only dealt with internet issues, minor outlook stuff, & printer issues.

After that month, the IT admin started slacking off & it became hard to get in contact with him when things would go wrong with the legal software(LegalFiles)

People were losing files, not being able to log in, & all sorts of issues. Users there were looking at me to fix things I had no idea about.

You're locked out cause you inputted the wrong password? I can't reset it since only Paul(IT admin) has access to Active Directory.

The server is down? I can't do anything about that since I don't have the credentials to remote in & look at things.

I winged it as best as I could, but in November he let me go due to "lack of experience"

I've had a few interviews since then, but being let go from my last gig is stopping others from giving me a chance.

Just a minor rant. Back to the books I go.

Damn, he left you out cold. :wow:

How you gonna be on helpdesk and not have access to AD? :wtf: