IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
Honestly the hardest experience and skills to acquire is the business stuff and being able to talk and present to business users. You have the hard part done!

Lol yea, most technical cats are not socialable at all. I worked in sales selling computers at best buy and in wireless for a few yrs in college so thats where i learned to be anle to "understand business needs" and "present technical solutions to non technical stakeholders". The lack of certs have been my weakpoint since certs and yrs experience are what get you the interviews.

Daps
Lol yea, most technical cats are not socialable at all. I worked in sales selling computers at best buy and in wireless for a few yrs in college so thats where i learned to be anle to "understand business needs" and "present technical solutions to non technical stakeholders". The lack of certs have been my weakpoint since certs and yrs experience are what get you the interviews.
I speak to recruiters regularly who tell me how difficult it is to find that combination. they are literally throwing money at people with that skillset.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
I speak to recruiters regularly who tell me how difficult it is to find that combination. they are literally throwing money at people with that skillset.
yea I`m 27 now, which Is why I`m trying to get this skill set up know so I feast in my 30s and retire in my 40s then move into Education and entrepreneurship

Daps
Reppin
MD
Bring up the CIA triad in one of your meetings to sound smart.

:russ: Definitely do this! Also use the phrases "Defense in depth" and "due diligence" for good measure. :sas2:

When I was interviewing with the Project lead, I definitely brought up the CIA triad, Access controls, AAA, defense in depth and the security+ cert. Within a few hours I get an email saying they want me to join the project.

Torrez

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I'm about to begin studying for the CCNA using the videos on this youtube channel: Andrew Crouthamel

Is this a good option or should I perhaps invest in one of the Udemy courses instead?

I'm almost 31 and currently an ESL teacher, and I know basic html / css but I have never studied networking or anything else related to it. I'm interested in giving myself more options going forward. I feel like with my ESL cert I already have some flexibility, and options as I can teach locally or move abroad anytime I want but the Networking cert could give me more consistent work.

I work more than a few part time jobs right now. I have been able to ask the main job to reduce my shifts so I could have time off. Would it be best to study for the CCNA and then get an entry level job? or is it possible or advisable to do CCNA, then CCNP or other certs consecutively?

acri1

The Chosen 1
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
I'm about to begin studying for the CCNA using the videos on this youtube channel: Andrew Crouthamel

Is this a good option or should I perhaps invest in one of the Udemy courses instead?

I'm almost 31 and currently an ESL teacher, and I know basic html / css but I have never studied networking or anything else related to it. I'm interested in giving myself more options going forward. I feel like with my ESL cert I already have some flexibility, and options as I can teach locally or move abroad anytime I want but the Networking cert could give me more consistent work.

I work more than a few part time jobs right now. I have been able to ask the main job to reduce my shifts so I could have time off. Would it be best to study for the CCNA and then get an entry level job? or is it possible or advisable to do CCNA, then CCNP or other certs consecutively?

I probably wouldn't go past CCNA until you get some actual IT work experience.

You don't want hiring managers to look at you as a "paper cert" ie. somebody who crammed for exams but has no real-world experience. Truth be told, if you're serious about getting into IT I'd start looking for a tech support/helpdesk/pc tech job even before you get your CCNA. You're probably going to have to start out in that kind of role anyway, so the sooner you get your foot in the door the better.