IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
Cbt nuggets...mcsa2012 study guide, and those technet study guides that i found on google.

So you'd say CBT Nuggets is worth the 99 bucks a month? How much time a day did you dedicate to studying? And I assume you did the Sever MCSA? I was thinking about doing SQL and then the Business Intelligence one since I have classes for both as part of my masters, but I`m not trying to be a DBA per say, so I may just scratch that and focus on doing the Sever 2012 and then get the Cloud MCSE.

Regular Developer

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
This is true. Typically the hiring manager doesn't know shyt about IT and dumps a bunch of buzzwords/acronyms on the job request hoping to get a few good bites
"We're looking for someone with 10 years experience in <insert tool> and some experience in <insert another tool>"
*First tool has been out for 8 years, second tool isn't used on the job at all*

Yea take some of those experience lists with a grain of salt. At the end of the day, they just need someone that can do the work and will be able to do the work going forward.

Daps
Reppin
Queens/NYC
One thing i have learned. If a company REALLY wants you around, they will pay you like they want you around. Or promote you, or give you stock options. Something other than words. Years ago i stayed way too long at a job hearing that same old thing with no promotions. learned my lesson though.

Spoke with a couple recruiters and they all say I'm paid handsomely at the top end of market rate. So I am gonna sit tight for a little while longer till I can secure a nice $$$$ transition.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
"We're looking for someone with 10 years experience in <insert tool> and some experience in <insert another tool>"
*First tool has been out for 8 years, second tool isn't used on the job at all*

Yea take some of those experience lists with a grain of salt. At the end of the day, they just need someone that can do the work and will be able to do the work going forward.

yea its while how specific of a technology stack these companies ask for on top of 10 yrs in them
:mjlol::mjcry:

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
Yep, a lot of the listings are by people who have limited experience actually programming. There's no way someone knows JS, CSS, Ruby, Java, Angular, React and the 10,000 other technologies you're asking for +5 years experience and will come in as a 'jr. developer.'

FastEddie215

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
Philly
:sas2:
So you'd say CBT Nuggets is worth the 99 bucks a month? How much time a day did you dedicate to studying? And I assume you did the Sever MCSA? I was thinking about doing SQL and then the Business Intelligence one since I have classes for both as part of my masters, but I`m not trying to be a DBA per say, so I may just scratch that and focus on doing the Sever 2012 and then get the Cloud MCSE.
I didn't pay $99 for cbt nuggets. I got it for free somewhere. And yes when i say MCSA i mean MCSA server2012. I studied about 4 hrs a day everyday

ahomeplateslugger

Superstar
Daps
don't get too hung up on having certs y'all....having certs is nice but if you don't have the experience to back it up then you'll get exposed. I have my CCENT and working in a simulator is easy for me, but managing a company's network is a lot tougher than that. there's no room for mistakes and it's way more complex then your CCENT and maybe CCNA. i'm not saying don't go for it, but make sure you have experience to support it and on the job training is crucial to career development. nothing wrong with reading a book, learning how things work and understanding terminology, but it's better to get a job first so that way you'll have more leverage when job searching.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
don't get too hung up on having certs y'all....having certs is nice but if you don't have the experience to back it up then you'll get exposed. I have my CCENT and working in a simulator is easy for me, but managing a company's network is a lot tougher than that. there's no room for mistakes and it's way more complex then your CCENT and maybe CCNA. i'm not saying don't go for it, but make sure you have experience to support it and on the job training is crucial to career development. nothing wrong with reading a book, learning how things work and understanding terminology, but it's better to get a job first so that way you'll have more leverage when job searching.

The thing is you can't get experience just buy showing up. I thin Certs can help you transition into something else because it at least shows you have fundamental knowledge.

AyBrehHam Linkin

First Black Brehsident
Daps
Reppin
Wiscansin
I redid my resume and plan on sending it to all the places with the crazy qualifications like you guys said, just wanna know if there is anything else I can touch up on :lupe:.
P5lgAHr.png

Daps
I redid my resume and plan on sending it to all the places with the crazy qualifications like you guys said, just wanna know if there is anything else I can touch up on :lupe:.
P5lgAHr.png
where is your employment history? If you have none, i would add some projects.