IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Torrez

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I probably wouldn't go past CCNA until you get some actual IT work experience.

You don't want hiring managers to look at you as a "paper cert" ie. somebody who crammed for exams but has no real-world experience. Truth be told, if you're serious about getting into IT I'd start looking for a tech support/helpdesk/pc tech job even before you get your CCNA. You're probably going to have to start out in that kind of role anyway, so the sooner you get your foot in the door the better.

Thanks for the response, I figured that I would have to gain some experience in a help desk or something similar at some point. I'm in Toronto and when I was looking for those types of entry level help desk jobs on indeeds website there was some but they all still had requirements that would make it hard to get in the door when competing with other candidates. I mean some were asking for 5 years experience in a call center/tech environment, others wanted CERTS like MCSE, or a degree in something tech related. I mean I could try to get a University certificate that focuses on tech but other than that I'm not sure how I would even get into one of those roles.

Are the hiring managers in this type of field usually people that have networking experience themselves? I ask because in some other fields when you get interviewed by HR the person sometimes interviewing you doesn't really have experience themselves with what you do they are just checking off boxes. If they didn't have experience couldn't you get the certs and then try to hustle your way through an interview and mask your experience with independent contract work or something?

AyBrehHam Linkin

First Black Brehsident
Daps
Reppin
Wiscansin
Thanks for the response, I figured that I would have to gain some experience in a help desk or something similar at some point. I'm in Toronto and when I was looking for those types of entry level help desk jobs on indeeds website there was some but they all still had requirements that would make it hard to get in the door when competing with other candidates. I mean some were asking for 5 years experience in a call center/tech environment, others wanted CERTS like MCSE, or a degree in something tech related. I mean I could try to get a University certificate that focuses on tech but other than that I'm not sure how I would even get into one of those roles.

Are the hiring managers in this type of field usually people that have networking experience themselves? I ask because in some other fields when you get interviewed by HR the person sometimes interviewing you doesn't really have experience themselves with what you do they are just checking off boxes. If they didn't have experience couldn't you get the certs and then try to hustle your way through an interview and mask your experience with independent contract work or something?

Breh ive seen it pointed out several times in this thread and kinda figured myself alot of these hiring department people have no damn clue what theyre doing when it comes to IT recruiting :skip:

RubioTheCruel

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, NY
Breh ive seen it pointed out several times in this thread and kinda figured myself alot of these hiring department people have no damn clue what theyre doing when it comes to IT recruiting :skip:

This is true. Typically the hiring manager doesn't know shyt about IT and dumps a bunch of buzzwords/acronyms on the job request hoping to get a few good bites

NYtymes

All Star
Daps
I mean there are a few help desk jobs ive been looking at (who are entry level positions and don't require much experience) but im still not sure what to put on my resume... I went to school and majored in computer programming for 2 semesters but thats the most honest experience i have :yeshrug:

Last edited:

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
How long did it take some of you to get your MCSA? MCSE?

Talking time to study for it.

And with CISSP how do they verify the requirements regarding working in at least 2 domains? Does Class Work and projects could too? Cant find anything regarding this.

krexzen

All Star
Daps
I'm about to begin studying for the CCNA using the videos on this youtube channel: Andrew Crouthamel

Is this a good option or should I perhaps invest in one of the Udemy courses instead?

I'm almost 31 and currently an ESL teacher, and I know basic html / css but I have never studied networking or anything else related to it. I'm interested in giving myself more options going forward. I feel like with my ESL cert I already have some flexibility, and options as I can teach locally or move abroad anytime I want but the Networking cert could give me more consistent work.

I work more than a few part time jobs right now. I have been able to ask the main job to reduce my shifts so I could have time off. Would it be best to study for the CCNA and then get an entry level job? or is it possible or advisable to do CCNA, then CCNP or other certs consecutively?

I probably wouldn't go past CCNA until you get some actual IT work experience.

You don't want hiring managers to look at you as a "paper cert" ie. somebody who crammed for exams but has no real-world experience. Truth be told, if you're serious about getting into IT I'd start looking for a tech support/helpdesk/pc tech job even before you get your CCNA. You're probably going to have to start out in that kind of role anyway, so the sooner you get your foot in the door the better.

I agree with acri1, start looking asap, because you never know what's out there. I will say this though, If you get through the CCNA and still want to learn more, then go for the CCNP. Outside of the cost there is no downside to having a CCNP. I've seen some smaller places hire low/no experience CCNPs with the hopes that they can grow into the role. Also, some contracts, customers, and vendor partnerships require a certain number of certified individuals to be employed. If you get it, stay humble during interviews and emphasize your love for learning and self-improvement.

With that said, you still are most likely going to start off in a NOC/Helpdesk. A lot Help desk and NOC personnel are lazy when it comes to improving their skills. This means that the certified guys (or the guys who study) usually stand out. So, If you're legit then the engineers will probably be impressed and you might end up being the next man up. Just make sure you know your shyt. Don't dump and also try not to let your knowledge fade.

Daps

And with CISSP how do they verify the requirements regarding working in at least 2 domains? Does Class Work and projects could too? Cant find anything regarding this.

I boot camped MCSE so took me 2 weeks. As for the CISSP, once you pass the exam you send them your resume that outlines your experience. Thats basically it also you need another CISSP to sponsor you. They randomly audit people but other than that, its basically your word that you have the experience. Class wouldnt count as it has to be professional experience. But there are alot of domains. If you have been in IT for 5-8 years, chances are you have the experience to get it.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
I boot camped MCSE so took me 2 weeks. As for the CISSP, once you pass the exam you send them your resume that outlines your experience. Thats basically it also you need another CISSP to sponsor you. They randomly audit people but other than that, its basically your word that you have the experience. Class wouldnt count as it has to be professional experience. But there are alot of domains. If you have been in IT for 5-8 years, chances are you have the experience to get it.

Cool, i took an database security class last semester and im taking a DBA one now so Im going to knock out the Mcsa SQL cert along with doing some free code camp web dev stuff.

I think i will aim for one cert per semester since many of my classes focus on SQL, data center admin, MS server, and Info sec so ill do the appropriate cert along with my class that touches on the subject, should make studying a tad easier

GoGetMyDamnBelt_

All Star
Daps
Reppin
MIA
I'm using all my down time to study for Security+ and CCNA exam. I have some computers in my office that I can use for a lab. I'm going to create a lab and start practicing network configuration with the server.

I've been surfing the web trying to figure out what book I need to buy for CCNA. Any suggestions?

GoGetMyDamnBelt_

All Star
Daps
Reppin
MIA

How did you "boot camped" MCSE? Any suggestions on books, videos, etc..?

soulfuljah

All Star
Daps
I've been surfing the web trying to figure out what book I need to buy for CCNA. Any suggestions?
The thing I found when doing mine years ago was each book brought something to the table. It also depends on how deep you want to go. My approach when doing my CCNA was CBT Nuggets, Odom Cisco Press and CCIE lab book. But I was shooting for the stars..lol

FastEddie215

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
Philly

Took me roughly 5 to 6 months to pass all 3 exams to become MCSA certified