IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

↓R↑LYB

I trained Sheng Long and Shonuff
Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan
Just started studying for the A+. Wish I would have done this earlier when I first posted in this thread :francis: but I am a renowned procrastinator plus I was interested in something that I thought was cool, Web Design, but ended up losing interest in it a short while after. You brehs have really motivated me this past week and encouraged me to toss my laziness out the window.

Reading this on my Kindle
51GO%2BsxPFrL._SX258_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I also bought the IT Fundamentals(should I take this exam?) book for reinforcement and am going to use ITPro.TV as well. Any other suggestions?

The test is pretty easy (at least it was when I took it like 10 years ago) so I doubt you need more than the book but more knowledge is never a bad thing

intruder

SOHH Class of 2003 and CASUAL sports fan
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Love
The A+ test but there's alot of things you can miss like certain command lines and how to put up logs if you don't study
Oh... never saw the use for it. What i want is a RedHat and Netapp certification.

GoGetMyDamnBelt_

All Star
Daps
Reppin
MIA
was offered a desktop support job by homeland security:dj2:

i didnt think i would get it since i never worked with active directory and servers but i was able to tell them some basics and they loved me.

How's that coming along?
I work for DHS too (TSA tho) but I'm looking to getting a starter job as well but don't know where to look..

havoc

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Live your own life
ganesville or georgia? I'm in SFLA trying to get up to J-ville
Gainesville, fl...That's a great idea to move to Jville because there are so many opportunities over there in the IT field. It is easy to find a job. I had recruiters calling me from JVille but I didn't have a ride at that time..:francis: You need to call Insight Global, fam. A recruiter from this company could find a job for you.

GoGetMyDamnBelt_

All Star
Daps
Reppin
MIA
do not waste your time on A+ or network+

learn the material, but dont waste 1 penny on those worthless certs, seriously

start up a lab at your house (if you have the money, if not work on having the money)

figure out this question first:

What do i want to do?

1) want to be a datacenter/support tier 1 guy?

2) want to work with windows?

3) want to work with linux?

4) want to work in networking (deal with routers/switches/etc) ?

5) want to work in development? (code perl/ java/ cpp / etc) ?

---

answer that question, then I'll try and help you guys out, you can PM me too ill do what i can to help put you on the right path, always good to see people out there trying to apply themselves and better themselves for the right reasons

Yes to the bolded :feedme:

ahomeplateslugger

Superstar
Daps
How's that coming along?
I work for DHS too (TSA tho) but I'm looking to getting a starter job as well but don't know where to look..

i ended up lying a little on my resume and they found out so took back their offer :skip:

you say starter job so i'm assuming you have no IT job experience...if so then you're gonna have to start at helpdesk or some PC refresh/upgrade job. it's gonna suck but around the 6 month to 1 year mark you should start looking for a desktop support job so you get more involved with the infrastructure side of things (servers and network). Also study up on some certifications (A+ and network+ is a good starting point for anyone). You don't necessarily have to pass the exams but make sure you know the content, the fundamentals and terminology. an easy way to break into the industry is to work with recruiters. they have high turnover jobs so are always constantly looking for ppl which is good for ppl looking to get in.

GoGetMyDamnBelt_

All Star
Daps
Reppin
MIA
i ended up lying a little on my resume and they found out so took back their offer :skip:

you say starter job so i'm assuming you have no IT job experience...if so then you're gonna have to start at helpdesk or some PC refresh/upgrade job. it's gonna suck but around the 6 month to 1 year mark you should start looking for a desktop support job so you get more involved with the infrastructure side of things (servers and network). Also study up on some certifications (A+ and network+ is a good starting point for anyone). You don't necessarily have to pass the exams but make sure you know the content, the fundamentals and terminology. an easy way to break into the industry is to work with recruiters. they have high turnover jobs so are always constantly looking for ppl which is good for ppl looking to get in.

Good looking out :ufdup:

I'm in school for Bachelor in Information Technology, expected to graduate by next summer but all the core classes I'm taking now for the degree includes certification once the exam is passed. I just finished Network+ :whoo: