IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
Can someone school me on if the MCSE certs are worth it? the Business Intelligence and Cloud ones looked interesting.

Let me clarify on where im going with this.

Right now im an ITSM BA, when i finish my masters next yr im going to explore potentially moving into a Solution Arichtect type role or continuing down the BA career path and eventual management. Cloud anD BI are hot, and i could maybe eventually tie in the CISSP to keep things well rounded.

Daps
Let me clarify on where im going with this.

Right now im an ITSM BA, when i finish my masters next yr im going to explore potentially moving into a Solution Arichtect type role or continuing down the BA career path and eventual management. Cloud anD BI are hot, and i could maybe eventually tie in the CISSP to keep things well rounded.
Thats a good path. Honestly, i have both those certs and they have helped me. However, if you have the experience i would just jump right to the CISSP. Either way though, browse the job descriptions for solution architect roles you are looking for and see what they are asking for and then get those certs. I feel like the CCNA would pair better with CISSP though and you can get solution architect roles in the networking space that pay very good money and then step into the security space. Keep your eye on storage too.

Daps
In 2014 I was making minimum wage, I had to hustle hard in fixing computers as my side job. I was financially struggling and experience difficulties to get an IT job:mjcry:. After I got my A+ certification and updated my resume, I had many companies calling me for a job offer, but I couldn't accept those job offers because I didn't have car at that time :francis:. Finally, some one whom I know promised to hire me if he has a help desk position available a year earlier. He kept his words and got me in the field. So, I started my first IT career in 2015. I worked for a state agency for 8 months as a contractor and got hired permanently. My pay scale increased from $14.00 an hour with no benefits to $19.50 an hour with benefits. Plus, the benefits come with a tuition reimbursement program that I can used to pay for my education. I haven't been in the IT field for a year and I'm already making decent money. This is the most easiest job I ever have in my history of working. I'm getting pay and rarely do any work since I got promoted:lolbron:. This forum really changed my life :mjcry:.
Congrats. Keep moving forward. Keep adding certs and learning new shyt.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
Thats a good path. Honestly, i have both those certs and they have helped me. However, if you have the experience i would just jump right to the CISSP. Either way though, browse the job descriptions for solution architect roles you are looking for and see what they are asking for and then get those certs. I feel like the CCNA would pair better with CISSP though and you can get solution architect roles in the networking space that pay very good money and then step into the security space. Keep your eye on storage too.

This yr will be my 4th yr in IT Post college, in college I did help desk for a yr so i guess this yr would technically make 5 yrs?. i came to the conclusion it may be beneficial to get my certs while getting my masters since some of my classes touch on the stuff some of these certs are about. I would have done it undergrad but i didnt have the foreseight.

How long did it take you to get the MCSE certs? I believe you have to knock out the MCSA stuff first right? Im interested in the Cloud and BI certs since im in multiple database classes using MySQL and oracle so i might as well get the certs too. My goal though is to be the Arichtect reccomenting the changes and solutions more so than the guy doing the grunt work. This is why I went the Business Analyst route even though an Arichtect has a tad more technical hardskills but both pretty much examine the business needs and create and present solutions.

Daps
This yr will be my 4th yr in IT Post college, in college I did help desk for a yr so i guess this yr would technically make 5 yrs?. i came to the conclusion it may be beneficial to get my certs while getting my masters since some of my classes touch on the stuff some of these certs are about. I would have done it undergrad but i didnt have the foreseight.

How long did it take you to get the MCSE certs? I believe you have to knock out the MCSA stuff first right? Im interested in the Cloud and BI certs since im in multiple database classes using MySQL and oracle so i might as well get the certs too. My goal though is to be the Arichtect reccomenting the changes and solutions more so than the guy doing the grunt work. This is why I went the Business Analyst route even though an Arichtect has a tad more technical hardskills but both pretty much examine the business needs and create and present solutions.

at the time i got my MCSE my company sent me to a bootcamp. So it only took me 2 weeks to get it. I had a good 8 years of experience prior however.

And honestly the more business focused the better off you will be. You still want the technical credibility. But being the guy to make the recommendations as opposed to the grunt work, thats where the real money is!

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
at the time i got my MCSE my company sent me to a bootcamp. So it only took me 2 weeks to get it. I had a good 8 years of experience prior however.

And honestly the more business focused the better off you will be. You still want the technical credibility. But being the guy to make the recommendations as opposed to the grunt work, thats where the real money is!

Yup, lol i think the certs will give me the "technical credibility" because while a degree or two and my experience help, the certs actually display some
Type of hard skills. Do you think the certs would be enough to transition into and Architecht role or would i have to do a lateral move to say a system engineer?

Daps
Yup, lol i think the certs will give me the "technical credibility" because while a degree or two and my experience help, the certs actually display some
Type of hard skills. Do you think the certs would be enough to transition into and Architecht role or would i have to do a lateral move to say a system engineer?

It really depends on the role and your skillset but i dont see why you couldnt. However usually architects have a TON of experience which is why they are able to make recommendations based on their experience. You should look into sales engineering or system engineering roles as well. They are play in the same area of technical and business.

↓R↑LYB

I trained Sheng Long and Shonuff
Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan
In 2014 I was making minimum wage, I had to hustle hard in fixing computers as my side job. I was financially struggling and experience difficulties to get an IT job:mjcry:. After I got my A+ certification and updated my resume, I had many companies calling me for a job offer, but I couldn't accept those job offers because I didn't have car at that time :francis:. Finally, some one whom I know promised to hire me if he has a help desk position available a year earlier. He kept his words and got me in the field. So, I started my first IT career in 2015. I worked for a state agency for 8 months as a contractor and got hired permanently. My pay scale increased from $14.00 an hour with no benefits to $19.50 an hour with benefits. Plus, the benefits come with a tuition reimbursement program that I can used to pay for my education. I haven't been in the IT field for a year and I'm already making decent money. This is the most easiest job I ever have in my history of working. I'm getting pay and rarely do any work since I got promoted:lolbron:. This forum really changed my life :mjcry:.

For brehs who's down on their luck and fukked up, IT is an easy way to get on your feet. When I was 21 I was working at Target making $7/hr, living on my own a roach motel struggling. I got my 1st IT gig as an intern making $8.98/hr. 6 months later they brought me in fulltime and I was making $19/hr, with insurance and retirement :mjcry:. That shyt literally took me out of poverty :wow:

That shyt literally changed my life cause I was bout to start robbing nikkas next :demonic:

Just don't get comfortable now breh, you're just getting started. By 2020 you should be making at least 100k easy if you stay focused and hustle

↓R↑LYB

Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan
I'm just jumping into the thread as I randomly came across it again, but remember unlike other certs CISSP needs documented experience of 4/5 years in any of the 8 domains and you need to know another CISSP person who can vouch for you. Otherwise you won't be a CISSP, instead you'll be an associate of

Depending on your experience it maybe worthwhile waiting to get the experience. The studying will be a lot easier as most if it can be learnt on the job.

Additionally the security field takes a lot of work in and out of the office. A lot of extra curricular work is necessary to know the current exploits, the current threat actors and their TTPs, scripting languages, the way OS work, the way malware works, etc.

The CISSP is a management certification. It's not entry level, hence why most jobs asking for it will also ask for a few years of experience too

The CISSP isn't really a management cert IMO, it's actually entry level and only covers the basics of information/network security. It was pretty damn easy, it's just a lot of shyt to cover which makes it seem more daunting. It requires experience in the 8 domains, but a help desk gig or a job working phone support for an ISP will qualify under those domains.

And I don't think they check to see if your shyt is correct. When I sent in my info after I passed it, they never contacted any previous employers, they never contacted any previous managers, and they never verified if the person who cosigned my CISSP actually knew me. I know because I purposely but incorrect info on there to see if someone would contact me to double check.

As long as you pay the $650, keep up with your CPE's, and pay your dues the ISC really don't give a fukk IMO.

Splash

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
The CISSP isn't really a management cert IMO, it's actually entry level and only covers the basics of information/network security. It was pretty damn easy, it's just a lot of shyt to cover which makes it seem more daunting. It requires experience in the 8 domains, but a help desk gig or a job working phone support for an ISP will qualify under those domains.

And I don't think they check to see if your shyt is correct. When I sent in my info after I passed it, they never contacted any previous employers, they never contacted any previous managers, and they never verified if the person who cosigned my CISSP actually knew me. I know because I purposely but incorrect info on there to see if someone would contact me to double check.

As long as you pay the $650, keep up with your CPE's, and pay your dues the ISC really don't give a fukk IMO.
:ohhh:

StretfordRed

Afro-European
Daps

It's a management certification from the stand point of the exam, rather than the gigs you can get once you have achieved it.

Maybe the field in the USA is different than Europe, but employers don't really consider it if you only have no direct security experience. I know the history checks are pot luck, but always a risk

But I work in financial security for a US bank and it's a little more stringent in the security experience you have. Although I know your DoD take it as a standard cert as face value. So it's horses for courses really.

But on another note I've only got tw more exams this year and they are GCIH and GREM and then I'm going to a global organisation suck as UN or NATO. Feels a bit dirty working for a US bank lol

StretfordRed

Afro-European
Daps
And this month almost marks a year Google flew me over to their HQ for the final stages of interviews.

5 in one day. Was crazy. Good experience, but circumstances meant the job wasn't for me unfortunately

↓R↑LYB

Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan
It's a management certification from the stand point of the exam, rather than the gigs you can get once you have achieved it.

Maybe the field in the USA is different than Europe, but employers don't really consider it if you only have no direct security experience. I know the history checks are pot luck, but always a risk

But I work in financial security for a US bank and it's a little more stringent in the security experience you have. Although I know your DoD take it as a standard cert as face value. So it's horses for courses really.

But on another note I've only got tw more exams this year and they are GCIH and GREM and then I'm going to a global organisation suck as UN or NATO. Feels a bit dirty working for a US bank lol

The cert requirements are irrelevant. Nobody really ever checks. The ISC is a relatively small organization and I doubt they're combing through their thousands of yearly applicants to see who's telling the truth on the cert. And honestly i don't think they give a fukk. Their main goal is to protect the integrity of the cert so they can continue to make money off exams and fees.

Once you get on the job is different cause those employers (most of the time) will verify the info on your paperwork since they wanna make sure you dont fukk their shyt up.

That DoD shyt never made sense to me. Somebody at the ISC must have written a check or something

Last edited:

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
It really depends on the role and your skillset but i dont see why you couldnt. However usually architects have a TON of experience which is why they are able to make recommendations based on their experience. You should look into sales engineering or system engineering roles as well. They are play in the same area of technical and business.

Yea Sales/SOlution engineering was definately something i looked at, I even interviewed with Salfesforce in the past for a gig but they wanted more CRM/cloud experience

havoc

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Live your own life
For brehs who's down on their luck and fukked up, IT is an easy way to get on your feet. When I was 21 I was working at Target making $7/hr, living on my own a roach motel struggling. I got my 1st IT gig as an intern making $8.98/hr. 6 months later they brought me in fulltime and I was making $19/hr, with insurance and retirement :mjcry:. That shyt literally took me out of poverty :wow:

That shyt literally changed my life cause I was bout to start robbing nikkas next :demonic:

Just don't get comfortable now breh, you're just getting started. By 2020 you should be making at least 100k easy if you stay focused and hustle
I appreciate that, breh. I became a member because of the Coliseum snd this thread. When you, kevm3 and Chris B. dropping jewels when this thread first started, I became a member quickly and took some notes. That's why I be here some times and post some resourceful infos. We have to continue to what we normally do to get some brethrens out of poverty.

Also, breh, I will never get comfortable. I need to reach that 6 figure income. To attain mass of wealth, is a never-ending mission.