IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Regular Developer

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
Your portfolio pieces or work history are your certificates when it comes to programming in many regards.
Yea, agreed. I just would like to see if I'd fail the test with all my on the job experience, lol. I have a tendency of doing horrible on tests.

GollyImGully

Too many wavy women, gotta log outta IG
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
She either filled the position with another applicant or lost out to another recruiter. Never put all faith or trust in one recruiter. Also, if they think you're a decent candidate then they will call and set up things for you. It sounds like you weren't high on her list. This used to happen to me too when I was starting out.

Keep your head up. In the future you may end up being the one giving them directions, blowing off their calls/emails and leaving them hanging.
im even more confused now

My boy who interviewed too just told me he called her the same way i did and she contacted him back saying he didnt get it :dwillhuh:

I guess im still in the running :jbhmm: i dont even know even more :damn::mindblown:

krexzen

All Star
Daps
im even more confused now

My boy who interviewed too just told me he called her the same way i did and she contacted him back saying he didnt get it :dwillhuh:

I guess im still in the running :jbhmm: i dont even know even more :damn::mindblown:

Regardless, don't put yourself in a position where you're sitting around waiting for one recruiter to call you back. Try to be in contact with multiple recruiters for multiple job offers. Even if it's your preferred choice, don't be desperate. It really helps to have a "slight" idgaf mentality when it comes to these things.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
Regardless, don't put yourself in a position where you're sitting around waiting for one recruiter to call you back. Try to be in contact with multiple recruiters for multiple job offers. Even if it's your preferred choice, don't be desperate. It really helps to have a "slight" idgaf mentality when it comes to these things.
Yea i wouldnt stop applying to jobs and screening calls until you have an offer letter.you will be sick in your stomach if you leave the ball in their court and then dont get the job

Daps
Reppin
Queens/NYC
Yea, agreed. I just would like to see if I'd fail the test with all my on the job experience, lol. I have a tendency of doing horrible on tests.

I wouldn't worry. I've never gotten a job where I had to take a test for it and I've worked at good companies for top clients. The firm administering the test is looking for a specific type of individual and don't have the brainpower or industry expertise to weed them out personally so they have to use arbitrary tests to do it.

You don't want to work for a company like that. A simple conversation and understanding how someone's mind arrives at a conclusion should tell a QUALIFIED company or professional if you are good and if you would fit into the culture. Note that there are tons of UNQUALIFIED incompetent individuals working at major fortune 500 companies and small firms alike.

If you are like me and not a test taker, the moment you hear there is a skills aptitude test I would politely bow out and decline to proceed further and say "I don't think I'd be a proper culture fit for this organization, thank you for your time". Time better spent applying elsewhere.

klientel

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
CTO pissed me off by making a slick ass comment about me having a big time salary but not producing big time results. But this bytch ignoring the fact that I'm carrying this bum ass team, so fukk it I'm out. I got 4 interviews scheduled this week.....and I'm scared as hell. I freeze up like a bytch during technical interviews, even when I'm the one asking the questions. :lupe:

Tuesday: Competing major hospital right across the street
Wednesday: Nutanix
Thursday: Fico and Cisco

Regular Developer

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
I wouldn't worry. I've never gotten a job where I had to take a test for it and I've worked at good companies for top clients. The firm administering the test is looking for a specific type of individual and don't have the brainpower or industry expertise to weed them out personally so they have to use arbitrary tests to do it.

You don't want to work for a company like that. A simple conversation and understanding how someone's mind arrives at a conclusion should tell a QUALIFIED company or professional if you are good and if you would fit into the culture. Note that there are tons of UNQUALIFIED incompetent individuals working at major fortune 500 companies and small firms alike.

If you are like me and not a test taker, the moment you hear there is a skills aptitude test I would politely bow out and decline to proceed further and say "I don't think I'd be a proper culture fit for this organization, thank you for your time". Time better spent applying elsewhere.
I've taken an aptitude test for my first job and did really well. I just took more than an hour, but it kicked off my IT journey, so I'm not too mad about tests. But it was more for a practical exam, rather than one of those definition and memorization exams, with questions like "What are the pillars of OO Programming?" I'm so much better at figuring things out on the fly vs memorizing what syntax is.

semtex

:)
Daps
I've taken an aptitude test for my first job and did really well. I just took more than an hour, but it kicked off my IT journey, so I'm not too mad about tests. But it was more for a practical exam, rather than one of those definition and memorization exams, with questions like "What are the pillars of OO Programming?" I'm so much better at figuring things out on the fly vs memorizing what syntax is.
OOP principles are not easy to put into practice. A lot of times tightly coupled code is very vague in big projects and doesn't jump out at you. It is easy as pie to apply the interface segregation principle though, which is damn important one. Senior/Principal devs will code review your shyt though and catch any fukk ups long before it hits production though :ahh:

Daps
Reppin
Queens/NYC

Same here. So that's the thing. In my industry an equivalent question would be: "What is the best way to structure a campaign hierarchy?" It's some primary school bullshyt that no self-respecting campaign manager for any channel (SEM,E-mail,Display,Social, etc.) follows to a T. Asking a dude who worked on major fortune 500 clients campaigns for 3+ years or more this question is frankly insulting, and similar to your situation (unless you are entry level) it sounds insulting to your intelligence. There are a trillion different ways it can be organized based on the brand's goals, reporting needs, analytics and testing methods. It's not solely based on key performance indicators (KPIs) like CTR, CVR etc.

A better question is : "What is the appropriate optimization when your CTR is ____, CPC is _____, conversions are ____ etc." There's no right or wrong answer per se. There are like 5 different ways you can approach it or more. The wrong answer is not understanding what the implications are of the situation. As long as you explain those implications correctly you should "pass" regardless of the solution you provide.

I am a get it done type of guy and if I can't get it done in the typical way I find creative ways to get around the roadblock and use a workaround solution in the interim. I don't follow things by the book.

Hahahaha

All Star
Daps
2, I am familiar with network infrastructur .on the wide area network scale.

I don't think that is enough experience for the CISSP is it? I mean you can take it but I don't think you can be endorsed until 5 years experience unless that has changed.

I'd go Masters from a reputable school IMO.

Hahahaha

All Star
Daps
Has anyone taken ITIL courses/exams past Foundations? I see my job moving into Service Desk Management in the near future and I'm trying to jump the curve.