IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Daps
Get you a decently powerful pc...the more cpu cores the better...the more ram the better...the more storage space the better...

If you have windows 8.1 or windows 10 i believe you get hyper v for free so you don't have to shell out or go find vmware workstation...

If not...get your hand on vmware workstation and AD or whatever you need...install it and play around with it...

It's not hard to get an AD machine, exchange machine, two client machines, and a database machine, up and running on a quad core pc with 12 GB of ram in it...
VMWare ESXI is free FYI. Definitely work building an ESXI rig for the experience since its what most people use.

Daps
Just a young nikka (mid 20s), tryna join 6 certs 6 figures gang:birdman:
How does my gameplan look :lupe:
So far I have a two-year IT diploma and 8 months of rust since graduating.

My next step is to get CCENT and MCSA Windows Server 2012.
Then, build a home lab environment with as much of the bells and whistles as I can afford.
Then, get CCNA Wireless and MCSE Private Cloud.
Then pursue volunteering opportunities and self-employment possibilities.
Then apply entry-level work (but omit by CCNA Wireless and MCSE Private Cloud from my resume, fearing that it might make me look over-qualified).
Work ebtry-level, while I pursue better work (I have the certs and diploma).
Get that Tier 2, Junior Admin, or Management job and kill that hoe.

How does it sound brehs, any no-brainer mistakes I'm making. My cert selection looking good?:lupe:

Last edited:

havoc

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Live your own life
Just a young nikka (mid 20s), tryna join 6 certs 6 figures gang:birdman:
How does my gameplan look :lupe:
So far I have a two-year IT diploma and 8 months of rust since graduating.

My next step is to get CCENT and MCSA Windows Server 2012.
Then, build a home lab environment with as much of the bells and whistles as I can afford.
Then, get CCNA Wireless and MCSE Private Cloud.
Then pursue volunteering opportunities and self-employment possibilities.
Then apply entry-level work (but omit by CCNA Wireless and MCSE Private Cloud from my resume, fearing that it might make me look over-qualified).
Work ebtry-level, while I pursue better work (I have the certs and diploma).
Get that Tier 2, Junior Admin, or Management job and kill that hoe.

How does it sound brehs, any no-brainer mistakes I'm making. My cert selection looking good?:lupe:
I like your direction that you want to take in the IT field. CCENT and MCSA certifications will definitively have recruiters calling your number. You should apply for an entry job that has plenty room for you to grow. If you get hired, accumulate at least 8 months or 1 year of experience so that your resume can look good to recruiters. Pursue the certifications you want, but don't exclude CCNA and MSCE private cloud out of your resume. You want to make sure you can get so many phone calls from recruiters and contractors to increase your chances to climb up in the field.

↓R↑LYB

I trained Sheng Long and Shonuff
Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan
Does anyone have their CEH certification?

I studied for it but ended up not taking it because I really didn't learn much. It is in demand so having it is never a bad thing.

But if you want to actually learn how to compromise systems, check out this cert:

Offensive Security Certified Professional (OSCP) Certification

It literally taught me how to hack into systems. The exam is 24 hours long and you pass by compromising a bunch of systems and evading the security controls they had in place.

Also check out the hacking lab:

Error 404 : Hacking-Lab.com

They have labs up with certain vulnerabilities and you get to see if you can compromise the system.

↓R↑LYB

Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan
Would you say that it's going to out compete programming in terms of salary potential because the private sector is taking the security threats more seriously?

The guy (Eli) made the video in march after the Sony hacks and everything, so that and from his general demeanor, I got a sense that he didn't really care for security as opposed to programming and probably still doesn't.

He mentioned that going the civilian route would be more tedious and painful than the gov't route. But if the DoD and those with their clearance are gonna be chuckled at quietly by the private sector, would it even be worth it to pursue a career? Sounds like it would probably mean a much slower progression up the ranks.

He made it seem as if programming was much, much, less of a hassle and headache- more rewarding/ faster too.

Thanks for the response.

I've been in security for most my career and I also code and security is way easier to get into than coding (unless you just love to code, I sure as hell don't).

And honestly stop worrying so much about which pays the most. Anything in technology pays well. I've posted windows admin jobs that pay $70+/hr

The important part is to learn the skills that pay the most. As long as you do that, you'll be fine.

Daps
Reppin
MD
I studied for it but ended up not taking it because I really didn't learn much. It is in demand so having it is never a bad thing.

But if you want to actually learn how to compromise systems, check out this cert:

It literally taught me how to hack into systems. The exam is 24 hours long and you pass by compromising a bunch of systems and evading the security controls they had in place.

They have labs up with certain vulnerabilities and you get to see if you can compromise the system.
How long did you study for the OSCP before you took the exam?

↓R↑LYB

Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan
How long did you study for the OSCP before you took the exam?

I studied for 3 months or so, but never took the exam (decided to work on my CCIE Security instead).

Granted at the time I was studying I had about 6 or so years of experience and I was a Security Architect at a hospital so none of them concepts in the book were all that new to me.

If you don't have a strong security background though it might be difficult.

CASHAPP

Superstar
Supporter
Daps

So breh you could easily hack into an email? There is this racist cac i hate...

Daps
Reppin
MD
I studied for 3 months or so, but never took the exam (decided to work on my CCIE Security instead).

Granted at the time I was studying I had about 6 or so years of experience and I was a Security Architect at a hospital so none of them concepts in the book were all that new to me.

If you don't have a strong security background though it might be difficult.

At the currently, moment I don't have any security experience beside obtaining my Security + cert. Recently, I accepted a Software Engineering Analyst position working in the Information Security/Cyber Security area. My question to you is, what cert should I obtain next or should I just gain this on the job work experience?

Silkk

Thats My Quarterback :to:
Daps

:wtf:

Silkk

Thats My Quarterback :to:
Daps
At the currently, moment I don't have any security experience beside obtaining my Security + cert. Recently, I accepted a Software Engineering Analyst position working in the Information Security/Cyber Security area. My question to you is, what cert should I obtain next or should I just gain this on the job work experience?
Got mine too, i accepted an analyst/support role. What software languages you know?

How Sway?

Great Value Man
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
quick question. I'm looking to start off as a network technician...
I wanted to know if simply getting the Network+ and skipping the A+ certification would be enough to get my foot in the door,
or would any of you suggest getting the A+ first then moving along to the Network+.

krexzen

All Star
Daps
quick question. I'm looking to start off as a network technician...
I wanted to know if simply getting the Network+ and skipping the A+ certification would be enough to get my foot in the door,
or would any of you suggest getting the A+ first then moving along to the Network+.

To be honest, you would be better off looking into the CCNA (CCENT at minimum). The Network + isn't held in as high regard. The Network + is more for gaining a basic understanding of networking. More of a confidence builder.