IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Jammer22

All Star
Daps
Some of what he's saying is out of date since more and more companies are taking cybersecurity seriously now. Previously the Federal government spent the most money and attention on cybersecurity so that's where most of the jobs where. The problem with the Federal government is they suck at implementing security. I got into cybersecurity by working as a contractor for the DOD because of so few private cybersecurity jobs in my area. But now they would be one of the last places I would go to work in cybersecurity because the security is so poor.

Congressmen say we can't trust hacked OPM with security clearances

Would you say that it's going to out compete programming in terms of salary potential because the private sector is taking the security threats more seriously?

The guy (Eli) made the video in march after the Sony hacks and everything, so that and from his general demeanor, I got a sense that he didn't really care for security as opposed to programming and probably still doesn't.

He mentioned that going the civilian route would be more tedious and painful than the gov't route. But if the DoD and those with their clearance are gonna be chuckled at quietly by the private sector, would it even be worth it to pursue a career? Sounds like it would probably mean a much slower progression up the ranks.

He made it seem as if programming was much, much, less of a hassle and headache- more rewarding/ faster too.

Thanks for the response.

Daps
Yeah the shytty ones are talking bout part time 20 hours a week and driving 400 miles a week smh...

Also this bytch can't even speak english.. can barely understand her.

You started there when you began?
Yes. I didnt mind. it was experience. And customer facing experience in "the field" is beneficial. The next job like that i had a company car and got to travel around the country. Today my job i still travel to meetings and such using my car. But the pay is enough(well over 6 figures) that i dont sweat it. shyt days like today when its like 65 degrees, i would much rather be driving around bumping music then sitting in an office.

Scott Larock

Its hard leaving thecoli but I gotta find a way...
Daps
Reppin
Hell
that's good money breh, you got degrees/certs? Where you live?

JT-Money

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Would you say that it's going to out compete programming in terms of salary potential because the private sector is taking the security threats more seriously?

The guy (Eli) made the video in march after the Sony hacks and everything, so that and from his general demeanor, I got a sense that he didn't really care for security as opposed to programming and probably still doesn't.

He mentioned that going the civilian route would be more tedious and painful than the gov't route. But if the DoD and those with their clearance are gonna be chuckled at quietly by the private sector, would it even be worth it to pursue a career? Sounds like it would probably mean a much slower progression up the ranks.

He made it seem as if programming was much, much, less of a hassle and headache- more rewarding/ faster too.

Thanks for the response.

I don't know much about the guy in the video but I doubt he follows the cyber security industry that closely. You should always pursue a discipline you like doing versus one that pays the most money. If you get into programming and decide you don't like doing it you won't last long.

Going the private sector route is more difficult because you won't get much guidance.You'll be expected to hit the ground running on day one. Versus in the Federal sector where you do as your told and all guidance comes from above.

I wouldn't suggest anyone going directly into cybersecurity with no IT experience. You should instead work your way up by holding various IT positions before going into security. If not your just asking to get exposed by some hacker.

havoc

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Live your own life
I failed the final exam miserably and finished the FALL semester with a C. :francis: Information Security final exam is the most difficult exam that I ever taken in college.

duckbutta

eienaar van mans
Daps
Reppin
DFW
How do you guys get experience with Active Directory and Microsoft Exchange? Let's speak some real job shyt.
Do most people get it on the job experience? I was thinking I'm going to need to buy a few computers and make it pop.

I don't know how to use it at all but I need the skills to spice up my resume, so what I gotta do?

Get you a decently powerful pc...the more cpu cores the better...the more ram the better...the more storage space the better...

If you have windows 8.1 or windows 10 i believe you get hyper v for free so you don't have to shell out or go find vmware workstation...

If not...get your hand on vmware workstation and AD or whatever you need...install it and play around with it...

It's not hard to get an AD machine, exchange machine, two client machines, and a database machine, up and running on a quad core pc with 12 GB of ram in it...