IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

waltthizzney

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I know this been asked a million times but where should I start cert wise, looking to change careers. have a good deal of compsci knowledge as is.

GollyImGully

Too many wavy women, gotta log outta IG
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
Its official brehs ya boy did it :banderas:

I am officially CCNA certified :ohwow2::mjcry:

Passed the ICND2 20 mins ago with a 947 :mjcry:

Now time to get the fukk outta this call center :damn: This shyt is dreadful very toxic environment with a lot of people who have given up hope its sad honestly. I chose the money over my last gig and it probably wasnt a good choice. Only been here for about a month and half now and theres guys who have been here for 5+ yrs same position/same spot...No ambition :wow:

TRFG

Not who you think
Daps

Now time to get the fukk outta this call center :damn: This shyt is dreadful very toxic environment with a lot of people who have given up hope its sad honestly

Which books did you use to study?

↓R↑LYB

I trained Sheng Long and Shonuff
Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan
Update:

Start a new job as an IT analyst in Houston in January. 50k but unlimited OT.

Finally reconnected with my adderall connect :blessed:

CCNA, CEH, CISSP, & Powershell.....

image.jpg

:banderas: you on your way breh. Keep hustling and in a few years you'll be at 150k :wow:

50k... Its like that out there :ohhh:

That's starting salary breh. It's the least he'll make for the rest of his career :whew:

Got a raise :blessed: still entry-level though. $75,000 plus benefits :jawalrus:

500x1000px-LL-d844faa3_500x1000px-LL-08cc881b_d7b166148a637b8a1f5e084f88eff909.360x203x27.gif

:salute:

Now time to get the fukk outta this call center :damn: This shyt is dreadful very toxic environment with a lot of people who have given up hope its sad honestly. I chose the money over my last gig and it probably wasnt a good choice. Only been here for about a month and half now and theres guys who have been here for 5+ yrs same position/same spot...No ambition :wow:

Congrats :salute:

GollyImGully

Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
Which books did you use to study?
I used these...honestly it was probably overkill to read both but the sybex book helped me understand some concepts easier and I liked the practice questions at the end...Also I used packet tracer/GNS3 and watched videos online to really get all the concepts down.
51F5ECz1rLL._SX378_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
51oRVlCEWFL._SX378_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

512AUeh8n-L._SX397_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

↓R↑LYB

Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan
I used these...honestly it was probably overkill to read both but the sybex book helped me understand some concepts easier and I liked the practice questions at the end...Also I used packet tracer/GNS3 and watched videos online to really get all the concepts down.
51F5ECz1rLL._SX378_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
51oRVlCEWFL._SX378_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

512AUeh8n-L._SX397_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

If Cisco is where you want to stay, start working on your CCNP ASAP.

GollyImGully

Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
If Cisco is where you want to stay, start working on your CCNP ASAP.

Thats what I was thinking to do as well. Might as well knock that out while i got the flow going.

Question for you tho..My end goal is network security. Do you feel the CCNA Security is worth it? I know the CISSP is the big one to get but I am not where near the level of experience to quality for it yet.

↓R↑LYB

Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan
Thats what I was thinking to do as well. Might as well knock that out while i got the flow going.

Question for you tho..My end goal is network security. Do you feel the CCNA Security is worth it? I know the CISSP is the big one to get but I am not where near the level of experience to quality for it yet.

How many years of experience you got?

Daps

The CCNA Security exam is extremely easy. So it might be worth taking just to take it, though its not a cert i typically see jobs asking for. And it will cover some basics that are in CISSP. For the CISSP however, you need at least 4 years of experience in the infosec realm. You might be better served building deeper network knowledge for now, especially if you want to be in the network security area of infosec. Then working on the CISSP in about two years to start the move over to security.

↓R↑LYB

Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan

The CISSP requires 5 years of experience so you can't get that yet. But if you want to get into network security on the Cisco side then get the CCNP Security. I learned a lot about good security practices and the many ways to secure the IOS.

Also FYI network security is a big field, it's not just routers and switches. There's load balancers, IPS sensors, web filters, SIEM servers, firewalls, VPN's, and a bunch more I cant think of. Plus you have to know networking very well for obvious reasons.

Security is wide open though so either way you'll be never be unemployed

Last edited:

↓R↑LYB

Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan
The CCNA Security exam is extremely easy. So it might be worth taking just to take it, though its not a cert i typically see jobs asking for. And it will cover some basics that are in CISSP. For the CISSP however, you need at least 4 years of experience in the infosec realm. You might be better served building deeper network knowledge for now, especially if you want to be in the network security area of infosec. Then working on the CISSP in about two years to start the move over to security.

You in security too breh :lupe: