IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Data-Hawk

I have no strings on me.
Daps
Reppin
Oasis
I've been in security for most my career and I also code and security is way easier to get into than coding (unless you just love to code, I sure as hell don't).

And honestly stop worrying so much about which pays the most. Anything in technology pays well. I've posted windows admin jobs that pay $70+/hr

The important part is to learn the skills that pay the most. As long as you do that, you'll be fine.

This. Find out which part of IT you like the most. The pay will come with it. shyt I know it's not the norm and I don't recommend trying to duplicate this. But I was making $34/hr at the help desk. I was that much better than everybody else.

Lol and the coding thing is true. Unless you have a passion for it , stay away or you are going to be miserable. I only want to be a coder for the rest of my life and even I have days where I want to throw the computer out the window.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
So this job I accepted a few months ago pretty much hit me with the bait and switch, yea I get paid more but the work is not what was presented to me, and its not that its hard but more so the project is a mess, and something is up obviously when directors are bouncing and they are the ones who literally just hired every one lol.

Sucks I left a comfy and rewarding job, but thats part of life when it comes to taking chances.

:mjcry:

been talking to a few companies and one seems really promising, but its the holiday season so very few jobs are posting and the ones you do hear back from are slow to respond since many people are on vacation.

Y'all keep your boy in your thoughts
:mjcry:

↓R↑LYB

I trained Sheng Long and Shonuff
Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan
quick question. I'm looking to start off as a network technician...
I wanted to know if simply getting the Network+ and skipping the A+ certification would be enough to get my foot in the door,
or would any of you suggest getting the A+ first then moving along to the Network+.

You're more than likely aren't going to go straight from no experience to a network admin. You'll probably have to start at help desk then transition into whatever role you want.

But start with the A+, then go for your CCNA.

↓R↑LYB

Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan
At the currently, moment I don't have any security experience beside obtaining my Security + cert. Recently, I accepted a Software Engineering Analyst position working in the Information Security/Cyber Security area. My question to you is, what cert should I obtain next or should I just gain this on the job work experience?

If you already are in security, get your CISSP ASAP. It will open up a whole lot of doors for you. Then decide where in security you want to be.

And get job experience that matches the direction you want to take your career. Right now I'm in a Windows Engineering role but I told the manager I wanted to work with PKI and they put me on a project.

Cyber Security is huge and there is essentially 0 unemployment and mad paper. And real talk security is easy as fukk. I rarely do shyt in these security roles :mjlol:

krexzen

All Star
Daps
I wanted to know if simply getting the Network+ and skipping the A+ certification would be enough to get my foot in the door,
or would any of you suggest getting the A+ first then moving along to the Network+.

You're more than likely aren't going to go straight from no experience to a network admin. You'll probably have to start at help desk then transition into whatever role you want.

But start with the A+, then go for your CCNA.

Depending on the company he might be able to get on for a Tier 1 NOC position (especially if he has a CCNA). A lot of people in Tier 1 NOC positions aren't certified or lack experience going in. If you have good fundamentals and come across like you give a shyt then someone will hire him. I've seen a lot of NOC techs who lack ambition, got no certs, and display very little knowledge/understanding. If he finds a place and stay hungry then he should be able to rise with ease.

havoc

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Live your own life

The A+ 801 and 802 have all the fundamentals of networking you need to know and along with the networking, the A+ holds knowledge of hardware, troubleshooting, security, portable devices, printers, and operating system. You are not going to learn all that in a Network+ course. That's why some of us suggest that you skipped the Network+ after you pursue the A+ certification and move on to an advance certification.

aXiom

Maximized Potential
Daps
Reppin
Parc fermé
Damn, I been ghost for a min.. Almost 3 months into this new job.. I hadn't really messed with anything network related since I got my ccna and started working.. So i was fukking around with some GNS3 in my downtime at work just to refresh my memory and the senior network engineer caught a glimpse of my screen and ran up on me like :ohhh: We need to have a sit down :ufdup:..had a meeting today and they about let your boy touch some real work, prepping for the inevitable move over to infrastructure... the amount of experience your boy about to soak in working for a company this size.. the boost my resume about to get:wow:

@bdizzle ouchea changing lives with this #certgang shyt... I wanna buy you a 6-pack breh :salute:

↓R↑LYB

Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan
Damn, I been ghost for a min.. Almost 3 months into this new job.. I hadn't really messed with anything network related since I got my ccna and started working.. So i was fukking around with some GNS3 in my downtime at work just to refresh my memory and the senior network engineer caught a glimpse of my screen and ran up on me like :ohhh: We need to have a sit down :ufdup:..had a meeting today and they about let your boy touch some real work, prepping for the inevitable move over to infrastructure... the amount of experience your boy about to soak in working for a company this size.. the boost my resume about to get:wow:

@bdizzle ouchea changing lives with this #certgang shyt... I wanna buy you a 6-pack breh :salute:

I keep telling brehs how wide open the shyt is :wow:

Learn all you can and start working on your certs ASAP. if you bust your ass right now and get the right certs and learn the right skillset, youll be repping #SixFigureGang in a year or two :blessed:

Also don't forget to ask the network dude if he has some old/spare equipment you can use in your lab. Some jobs will give you old equipment for free.

Silkk

Thats My Quarterback :to:
Daps
Update:

Start a new job as an IT analyst in Houston in January. 50k but unlimited OT.

Finally reconnected with my adderall connect :blessed:

CCNA, CEH, CISSP, & Powershell.....

image.jpg