IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Scott Larock

Its hard leaving thecoli but I gotta find a way...
Daps
Reppin
Hell
@Silkk

Did the N+ help you? Some coli dudes told me don't waste the money. I can probably pass it right now.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent

Scott Larock

Daps
Reppin
Hell
Verizon is tough, i worked there for a yr and pretty much onu way in is if you know someone. If you have linkedin add some recruiters on their and send em your resume along with the position #s u applied for

Will do.

trying to do some entry level shyt to get back into it, nothing too fancy, like installing tape drives or pc rollout tech or some shyt like that, just something IT based.

Pyrexcup

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Can we get a complete "guide to getting paid" in IT thread? Complete with paths, certs and so forth? This thread is too long and the same questions are somewhat rehashed? I'm throw in all my coli cash.
you're doing this wrong breh certs isn't some get quick rich scheme this isn't the 2000s anymore you're going to have to grind truth is recruiters wont throw money at you just because you have some certs

Scott Larock

Daps
Reppin
Hell
you're doing this wrong breh certs isn't some get quick rich scheme this isn't the 2000s anymore you're going to have to grind truth is recruiters wont throw money at you just because you have some certs

:francis: negged

Let me dream breh:upsetfavre:

Just playing man:mjcry:

BobbyBooshay

Arnold Jackson
Daps
Reppin
London

Hmm depends really, over here in London you aint getting no where contracting with no certs. Of course you need XP but I know from my personal XP that without certs I wouldnt be balling like I am now.
:takedat:

XP coupled with certs and spesh in demand ones, AWS etc then your laughing.

Silkk

Thats My Quarterback :to:
Daps
@Silkk

Did the N+ help you? Some coli dudes told me don't waste the money. I can probably pass it right now.
I haven't seen it on a job description yet. So not really, i just took it cause i had already bought the studying stuff

Id go for CCNA instead if i had to it again

Daps
Can we get a complete "guide to getting paid" in IT thread? Complete with paths, certs and so forth? This thread is too long and the same questions are somewhat rehashed? I'm throw in all my coli cash.

Bruh Peep this post: http://www.thecoli.com/threads/it-certs-and-careers-lets-discuss-it.9043/page-232#post-9768743

also, if you learn how to negotiate better(your compensation) and network with folks that alone will set you ahead. But there arent short cuts. you have to put in that work.

Scott Larock

Daps
Reppin
Hell
Bruh Peep this post: http://www.thecoli.com/threads/it-certs-and-careers-lets-discuss-it.9043/page-232#post-9768743

also, if you learn how to negotiate better(your compensation) and network with folks that alone will set you ahead. But there arent short cuts. you have to put in that work.

can't negotiate at entry level breh, I usually just put "open" on the salary requirements page.

thanks breh, the information is solid.

So I was trying to get into Ricoh as a Field Support Technician (requires N+)

But the breh silkk told me maybe it's not worth it, I have some other questions, mainly building a skillset

I'll save those for later, I'll go back to studying.

Daps
can't negotiate at entry level breh, I usually just put "open" on the salary requirements page.
Yea, entry level its best to not sweat the money. Just get in anywhere. ideally where you can learn the most. After that, you can start to negotiate. it wasnt until i learned how to negotiate that i started really making dough.

Scott Larock

Daps
Reppin
Hell
The N+ certification cost $267...:francis:

They have a special for $245 if you take it by 01/15/16:upsetfavre:

Getertify4less has it for $249:mjlol:

I'll think I'll pass, I had a voucher for the N+ years back when comptia had a 80% off sale and I told them to refund my money:mjcry: fukked up. I told something else instead.

D1renegade

All Star
Daps
Reppin
OK
On the A+ cert how much of it is memorizing indivudual facts like specific power cord names and there exact volts, How many pins are each type of ram, what are all the processors that go with each socket. I'm going though this thinking there is a hell of a lot of specific things to memorize for one test.

I just want to make sure I'm not wasting my time memorizing all this.

You'll probably get at least 5 questions on the 801 asking about pin numbers/cpu sockets etc... That kind of info is not that important in the grand scheme of things, but COMPTIA will want you to know that stuff for the test :francis:

Daps
Great thread brehs, read about the first fifth and the last fifth like this :to::ohhh:

I got a 2-year diploma (Associates degree in Alberta) in network engineering technology. Graduated april 2015. Life rough patch kept me out the game since. I mean I send out resumes but I dont hear back. Sent maybe 40-60 in the past 7 months.

That diploma was very broad, pretty much dabbled a little bit in everything. What I liked and want a career in is Network Architecture, Cloud and Virtualization, and I dont mind a lil coding ( its kinda fun for me).

I work as a security guard, pay my bills and leaves me with a lil extra. The kicker is that Im sitting unsupervised in front of a computer 85% of the shift. So much study time, I can body a few certs. I feel like treating this job like a third year of schooling and pick up the certs that'll have me eating in the future.

A few questions if yall brothers dont mind. Any help of course will be greatly appreciated brehs :to:

Virtualization/Cloud is the new wave but I barely heard about in this thread. Is there not a need for people who speacialize on that specifically? Is it knowledge that your average network admin picks up along the way as the technology evolves? Im basically asking if thats the hot shyt I should focus on so I can be one the few guys that really really knows Cloud? Possibly get the CCNA Cloud or MCSA Cloud?

Or... Just go work my way towards a CCNA (routing and switching) and hold out for a junior network admin job, or maybe get the CCNA and then do a quick bid in help desk while I agressively search for a jr network admin gig.

Of course, Im gonna setup my own lab and dabble in Powershell, Java, and Python along the way. (A must right?)

Pardon any ignorance I display, Im still a scrub despite the diploma.:mjcry:

By the way, Im skipping A+ because the diploma should give employers the impression Ive covered those subjects. (Is my logic sound here? or do I really really need the knowledge acquired through studying for that cert)

Last edited: