IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

STEVE

MIami Beach on the check-in.
Daps
Reppin
Miami Beach, FL
i might be one of the few IT cats that doesn't have a cert in here lol. My end goal in this IT journey is management so thats where my degrees come in handy. They tend to hire people in this positions more if you have a masters.
probably true. i applied to four new positions in my department called 'service owners' that would be taking on project management responsibilities coupled with dynamic planning throughout our academic and research community. i had an informal interview with the new director who i interviewed with for this current job i got two years ago (my boss' boss) and i am feeling really good about it. i have an english degree LOL! aside from 10+ years on the job experience and SCCM 2012 training i don't have shyt. doubt i need it.

kevthesureshot

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Anyone have any experience working with music related software? I've been doing music production for a long time, and have been interested in the design process, testing, etc. I just don't know of any ways into that field. FYI: I don't have any experience in software design, just my knowledge in music.

How Sway?

Great Value Man
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
full
breh :dead:

Daps
Yesterday I had an interview with a company and today their recruiter called me and asked what type of salary I'm looking for. Should I give him a range of what I'm looking for or wait till they give the salary range of the position?
Dont give a range. Tell them its more important for you to find the right role with the right company, and that without knowing more about the role and the company it would be difficult for you to give a a number at this time. Then flip it and ask them what the range is for the position. You dont want to talk numbers until you have an offer. That way they are committed and you are in a better place to negotiate. Trust that once they give out an offer they would prefer not going through the hiring process again. So they wont haggle with you over 5-10k as a result since they like you and want you there. Talk numbers too early and you could get weeded out before they realize you are actually worth the top of the range. Even worse, you may weed them out without even knowing much about the position.

NYtymes

All Star
Daps
Im studying for the A+ , what type of entry level jobs can i get once i get the cert? Also what do those entry level jobs normally pay?

b_priest9mm

A work in progress...
Daps
I'm going back to school next year. If I can't figure out a good career to get into, IT it is. :manny:

Data-Hawk

I have no strings on me.
Daps
Reppin
Oasis
Anyone have any experience working with music related software? I've been doing music production for a long time, and have been interested in the design process, testing, etc. I just don't know of any ways into that field. FYI: I don't have any experience in software design, just my knowledge in music.

I have no experience with it. I just know it's alot of math. esp logarithms and probably trig

Daps
I haven't posted too much in this thread but I thought I'd let y'all know I'm finally employed. Got hired as a Pc Support Tech and I start on the 30th. #lastyearbeingbrokegang:blessed:

I'm still working on my A+ 801 failed the first time by 30 points. I plan on retaking it sometime mid-December.

Silkk

Thats My Quarterback :to:
Daps
Been slacking like a mofo since getting that Security+. Learned SQL but haven't practiced it in a while.

Haven't started studying CCNA or CISSP yet
Haven't began this Spanish Rosetta Stone
Haven't started learning Powershell

:snoop:

bnm8907

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
On the A+ cert how much of it is memorizing indivudual facts like specific power cord names and there exact volts, How many pins are each type of ram, what are all the processors that go with each socket. I'm going though this thinking there is a hell of a lot of specific things to memorize for one test.

I just want to make sure I'm not wasting my time memorizing all this.