IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Sonny Bonds

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
what do you like to do? what gets you excited to go into work? where do you see yourself in 3-5 years?
3-5 years from now I want to be further along in my path to systems administrator. I guess I'd have more certs and know some scripting by then. My problem is that my resume looks amazing, but I don't have skills \experience to back it up.

I don't mind going into work unless I'm really tired. I work at a casual company with free meals.

GollyImGully

Too many wavy women, gotta log outta IG
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
Posted my resume up on these monday:

Dice
Indeed
Monster
Career Builder
Sologig
Zip recruiter
Simply Hired
Tech careers
ITjobpro

And my phone & email been lit ever since :blessed:
:lupe: what that resume looking like breh?

JT-Money

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Time to demand a promotion at work or look elsewhere for a big salary increase.

IT Salary 2016 - Datamation

IT Salary 2016
IT salary levels for 2016 reflect the scarcity of top tech talent, causing IT salary levels to move higher.

IT salary trends for 2016 are expected to heavily favor employees. IT salary levels are seeing healthy gains. Tech employers face a daunting challenge in finding quality IT professionals – they’re forced to offer higher paychecks. If you’re a tech pro who’s job hunting or currently negotiating salary, you’re in a position of power.

There is such a bounty of tech jobs springing up that many go unfilled for months. In some cases tech pros aren’t even pursuing certain less desirable positions – there are so many IT job opportunities with generous salary packages. For experienced individuals with major tech skills, it’s a matter of choosing between several offers – sometimes without even needing to job hunt. (That LinkedIn profile can do some good.)

Reflecting this IT salary trend, Robert Half– whose survey these IT salary numbers come from – titled its research “IT Hiring Trends: So Many Jobs, So Few Applicants.”

This difficulty in filling IT jobs has now persisted for several years, creating an imbalance that is reflected in IT salary levels. Employers are often offering a cornucopia of incentives, from a rosy salary to flexible hours and stock options. Employers are less able to put a potential employee through a long interview process. If a firm wants talent, they must make an offer quickly – or be bested by a competing company.

The vertical industries that are particularly hungry for IT talent include financial services, telecommunications, healthcare, and managed services. The hot specialties – continuing a multi-year trend – are mobile, Big Data and security. More specifically, highly sought-after tech professionals include developers (Web, software and mobile app), database administrators, business intelligence/Big Data analysts, and systems engineers and administrators. Also in demand – this never seems to end –are help desk and help support pros. (Timeless truth: the entire world stops without the help desk folks.)

Systems Security Administrator

2016 average salary range: $105,500 – $149,500.

• The 2016 salary range is an increase of 6.1% over this job’s 2015 salary range, which was $100,000 – $140,250.

• The 2015 salary range was an increase of 6.0% over this job’s 2014 salary range, which was $95,250 – $131,500.

• The 2014 salary range was an increase of 6.3% over this job’s 2013 salary range, which was $89,500 – $123,750.

• The 2013 salary range was an increase of 5.0% over this job’s 2012 salary range, which was $85,250 – $117,750.

• The 2012 salary range was an increase of 4.6% over this job’s 2011 salary range, which was $81,500 – $112,500.

• The 2011 salary range was an increase of 4% over this job’s 2010 salary range, which was $78,250 – $108,250.

• The 2010 salary range was an increase of 0.3% over this job’s 2009 salary range, which was $78,000 – $108,000.

• The 2009 salary range was an increase of 5.1% over this job’s 2008 salary range, which was $73,500 – $103,500.

• The 2008 salary range was an increase of 4% over this job’s 2007 salary range, which was $70,500 – $99,750.

• The 2007 salary range was an increase of 3.9% over this job’s 2006 salary range, which was $67,500 – $92,750.

Add a salary increase for the following skills:

• Add 7% for CheckPoint Firewall administration skills

• Add 9% Cisco network administration skills

• Add 8% for LINUX/UNIX administration skills

• Add 6% for Certified Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP) skills

Daps
If you're in here advocating brain dumps you shouldn't be giving anyone career advice

Brain dumps can be useful. Since there is no substitute for real world experience, the certifications associated with basic security and forensics can get your foot in the door. I would venture to say that most employers know most IT certifications are not a good indicator of technical expertise.

Daps
WTF? Since when is CEH relatively easy to pass? I heard that study session alone chops off an arm and a leg just to retain, and the tests ain't no joke. Knew a guy from the military who said he failed on his first try because it was so challenging. He works at a big wig telephone company now I think. Or was it IBM, one of those.

Well, maybe I should not say easy.......
I use most of the techniques associated with that certification everyday so it was mostly about trying not to overthink the answers. The CEH has a set of practice exams that I would recommend in preparation