IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

↓R↑LYB

I trained Sheng Long and Shonuff
Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan
Yeah anything helps. Even though I've been programming since I was 15( 34 now ) and dabbled in some hacking in my youth days( way before they started handing out football numbers for people who are caught :russ: ). When I say I started from the bottom. Uh yeah I mean it. I was doing warehouse jobs for 5 years straight, never made over $12/hr during that time. I don't have a degree, I only had my A+ when I started IT and even then the job was only paying $13/hr. I think probably me and @bdizzle story is very similar, so I would go back in this thread and read about his experience with cockroaches :laff::laff: and you'll clearly see this field is what you make of it.

O yeah, what area of IT are you planning on entering? Networking,Programming etc?

It wasn't funny at the time breh :mjcry:

But looking back shyt is fukking hilarious :russ:

But that struggle was beyond real. I was making 8.98/hr my first IT job :damn:

Ghost Like Swayze

Giving your girl private pottery classes :umad:
Daps
Reppin
AfterLife
6 Cert Coli Gawds.

I'm in my mid 20's with an Economics degree but currently work in music publishing. Can I join the movement? Where/How do I start?

:lupe:

Scott Larock

Its hard leaving thecoli but I gotta find a way...
Daps
Reppin
Hell
How do you write references on your resume? What if you got none?

Soundwave

No Known Weaknesses
Supporter
Daps
Say brehlons, I'm trying to make the jump into the HRIS industry with a focus on PeopleSoft. Anyone in here on that wave???

acri1

The Chosen 1
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
6 Cert Coli Gawds.

I'm in my mid 20's with an Economics degree but currently work in music publishing. Can I join the movement? Where/How do I start?

:lupe:

If you're interested, get that A+ and start applying for jobs. Just be willing to accept that you'll have to start at the bottom (probably helpdesk/desktop support) and work your way up. Depending on what you make now, that might mean a pay cut. The degree won't make that much difference right off the bat, you'll still probably start out taking calls like everybody else.

When I got out of college I started out only making like 30k or so and working with a lot of people that didn't have degrees. But when that Systems Engineer job opened up I pretty much got automatic preference over my coworkers with no degree, and I know if a management position opens up I'll be on the short list of candidates. So it'll probably help you in the long run.

acri1

The Chosen 1
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
I was told by recruiters not to, they'd ask if they needed them

I agree with this...I think I just have a line on my resume that says "References available upon request" or something like that.

Redguard

Hoonding
Daps
Reppin
Hammerfell
If you're interested, get that A+ and start applying for jobs. Just be willing to accept that you'll have to start at the bottom (probably helpdesk/desktop support) and work your way up. Depending on what you make now, that might mean a pay cut. The degree won't make that much difference right off the bat, you'll still probably start out taking calls like everybody else.

When I got out of college I started out only making like 30k or so and working with a lot of people that didn't have degrees. But when that Systems Engineer job opened up I pretty much got automatic preference over my coworkers with no degree, and I know if a management position opens up I'll be on the short list of candidates. So it'll probably help you in the long run.

I was going to take this job at my university I graduated from a few years ago. They are looking for IT Support and based on the description it seems like an entry level position. The only problem is:

1. I don't have my A+ cert yet but I will before the end of the year or at least by the end of January.
2. The position is temporary.

I wish it was a full time position. I can't afford to work temp for a few months and then be out of a job.

Silkk

Thats My Quarterback :to:
Daps
I was going to take this job at my university I graduated from a few years ago. They are looking for IT Support and based on the description it seems like an entry level position. The only problem is:

1. I don't have my A+ cert yet but I will before the end of the year or at least by the end of January.
2. The position is temporary.

I wish it was a full time position. I can't afford to work temp for a few months and then be out of a job.
A few months is enough time to find something full time or a long contract

CASHAPP

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
do you guys have concrete advice on trying to start a blog online and getting a very high amount of traffic? any of you could help with that? are there certain keywords you have to use?

Splash

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
What program do you guys use to read pdf books?
I was using Acrobat reader DC and the cloud to switch between my laptop and desktop.

I made mad progress last night, log in to my desktop, all my highlights and notes I made from my laptop are fukking gone :dahell:
Check my laptop, the save has no reverted to like 2 days ago
full

I'm so pissed right now, woke up ready to kill this shyt :stopitslime:
I'll still move on I guess but I'll have to go back and make sure I redo them notes while they fresh:mjcry:

↓R↑LYB

I trained Sheng Long and Shonuff
Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan
It's only $14.90/hr. Good thing is this company promotes quickly from within, so I could be tier 3 by this time next year as long as I show out and demonstrate my skills. Tier 3 could get me over $19/hr.

Good shyt breh. Give your self 1-2 years in help desk then start focusing on specializing (development, DB, networking, etc). Figure out where in IT you want to be and focus whatever skills you want to pick up in that area.