IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

FreshFromATL

Self Made
Daps
Reppin
ATL
Thanks for the heads up. I probably went overboard then, thinking I need to know all kinds of things. I've studied as wide a range as HTML/CSS and Responsive Web Design along with those CSS Frameworks (Bootstrap and Foundation), SQL, Ruby on Rails, Javascript and it's various Frameworks (Some Ember, a bit of React.js, jQuery). It's headache inducing trying to retain all of that information, so I feel better knowing I don't have to know everything. I really can't wait to get these frameworks and the such knocked out of the way so I can focus on data structures and algorithms and also improve my math skills.

You can only retain so much by studying. The only time things will really stick is when you're in the field actually solving business problems. You probably gonna forget a lot of stuff once you start working because you'll be focused on a particular technology. For instance I've been working in the BI world for about 1 1/2 years now. I can't even write a c# or java hello world program off the top of my head because I haven't used either language at all since I've been in BI.

↓R↑LYB

I trained Sheng Long and Shonuff
Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan
WTF? Since when is CEH relatively easy to pass? I heard that study session alone chops off an arm and a leg just to retain, and the tests ain't no joke. Knew a guy from the military who said he failed on his first try because it was so challenging. He works at a big wig telephone company now I think. Or was it IBM, one of those.

Obviously it depends on your background but the CEH was so easy I didn't even take the exam. I read through the book and really ain't learn anything. But I was a security architect for a large hospital when I read the book so I already had a lot of security knowledge.

Before you even consider going for the CEH you should know networking pretty damn well.

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
You can only retain so much by studying. The only time things will really stick is when you're in the field actually solving business problems. You probably gonna forget a lot of stuff once you start working because you'll be focused on a particular technology. For instance I've been working in the BI world for about 1 1/2 years now. I can't even write a c# or java hello world program off the top of my head because I haven't used either language at all since I've been in BI.

That makes things a lot more manageable. I'll put together a 'portfolio site' somewhat soon and then see where it takes me.

GollyImGully

Too many wavy women, gotta log outta IG
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
Yup i need to get the fukk outta this job asap :snoop:

I just told this guy whose a system admin that the device is offline i already pinged it. Guy goes "hmm it is replying tho, but it is saying destination host unreachable, how could it send a reply if its offline? :jbhmm:"

Doc-Rivers-Shocked-GIF.gif

↓R↑LYB

I trained Sheng Long and Shonuff
Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan

I just told this guy whose a system admin that the device is offline i already pinged it. Guy goes "hmm it is replying tho, but it is saying destination host unreachable, how could it send a reply if its offline? :jbhmm:"

Valid question :jbhmm:

Silkk

Thats My Quarterback :to:
Daps

Makes you wonder how the fukk some people get in their positions :mjpls:

Made me start applying for all types of shyt and see who bites

RubioTheCruel

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, NY
Bruh i fukking HATE recruiters who wait til the last minute to tell you about salary. Spent 20 minutes talking and this lady gonna come with some "this a level 3 helpdesk position paying 15.00" :what:

When dealing with recruiters I always bring up rate/salary before we even get to the job description. It just saves time all around. It also cuts out a lot of bullshyt, when you start talking money you recognize who is about business.

Silkk

Thats My Quarterback :to:
Daps
When dealing with recruiters I always bring up rate/salary before we even get to the job description. It just saves time all around. It also cuts out a lot of bullshyt, when you start talking money you recognize who is about business.
Do you list your salary requirement on your resume?

RubioTheCruel

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, NY
Do you list your salary requirement on your resume?

No. I've gotten my past few jobs through professional acquaintances but I do interview from time to time just to keep my skills sharp and to gauge my worth on the free market.

As anyone who has a halfway decent resume/skillset can attest to, I get called/emailed with job offers at least 10 times a week. I immediately tell them not to contact me via phone, email is better(I don't have time to bullshyt for 15 minutes with $random_recruiter) and I want to know what the salary range for the position is. Anyone who balks on that is immediately thrown in the bushes. Talking money seperates the real from the fake.

Data-Hawk

I have no strings on me.
Daps
Reppin
Oasis

Nothing worse than working around a bunch of idiots. I lost a lot of respect for one of our leads the other day when during lab training, this mother fukker was typing like 5 WPM!! I swear this dude was looking at the keyboard and typing with 2 fingers.

Dude is real smart when he talks, but cannot type and has zero technical knowledge. How he has a masters degree in CIS is beyond me.