IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

TRFG

Not who you think
Daps
Ok I'm currently studying for my A+ cert. The last time I took A+ was in high school which was almost 10 years ago. I been doing retail and restaurant jobs til I got to the point where I know i can do way better than that. Also I always had a interest in IT. Right now I'm trying to make a guideline on my way to become an Network Engineer. Any help will be much appreciated

If you took it 10 years ago you have a life time cert

Bernie Madoff

Banned
Daps
Reppin
Otisville, Federal Correctional Institution
A+ is a good certification because it teaches you the evolution of technology... But as far as the application of what you learn on the A+ (especially the 801) it is illogical! A floppy disk has 34 pins? Why do I know this? All the ram speeds and pins, I guess if you were in a cave and all the sticks were stripped of the usual information and you had no Google that's relevant....

Silkk

Thats My Quarterback :to:
Daps
Yeah, basics of retrieving records and the such seem simple. The complexity seems to come in when you are designing databases and dealing with tables that reference each other.
Getting this down much easier than expected :blessed:

Im honestly thinking of taking off the rest of the year just to learn coding and go for my CISSP:ehh:

TRFG

Not who you think
Daps
Is anyone good with Microsoft Access (query design) I have a project I need help with?

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
Getting this down much easier than expected :blessed:

Im honestly thinking of taking off the rest of the year just to learn coding and go for my CISSP:ehh:

If you can afford to take a year off, definitely go for it. It's pretty much what I'm doing now. I'm about to start applying in a month or two for jobs.

Silkk

Daps
If you can afford to take a year off, definitely go for it. It's pretty much what I'm doing now. I'm about to start applying in a month or two for jobs.
Ehhhh i dont wanna take that much time off right now, feel like im right in the mist of a career breakthrough and i need to figure out where i want to move to. Always planned for Houston but Miami looks like heaven and there's a lot of opportunity there as well.

Daps
Bdizzle, or anyone familiar or from NYC, I need some tips on getting a job with just an A+ (I do live in NYC btw). I've been on sites like indeed and careerbuilder and monster, etc, but Everybody on that bytch is looking for someone with a IT bachelor's degree or equivalent. And even with just that you have to, in some job cases, also have an A+, check, CCNA, CCSIP, MCSE, MSP (WTF), PMP (WTF!!!??), etc, etc. And I'm currently just studying net+/CCNA guides FOR my CCNA. Even craigslist ads are asking for crazy mad stuff just for ENTRY level jobs, which I'm trying to get. And even the jobs that I may be suited for, help desk and such, they want YEARS (2+ generally) for $13/hr that will probably be part time even if listed as full time. I'm probably looking in the wrong places, but at this point, I'm not sure where to look for entry level jobs for the budding I.T. guy.

I have 6+, yrs in customer service, associates degree (in graphic design) and leadership experience from opening stores and being temporary group leads and such. Plus I've over a year in technical computer work including deployments and automation. Am I really not employable for an entry level technical position or am I missing something?

CASHAPP

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Can one of you guys help me with hacking a gmail password? I tried phishing but these hosting sites aint working

Silkk

Daps
Bdizzle, or anyone familiar or from NYC, I need some tips on getting a job with just an A+ (I do live in NYC btw). I've been on sites like indeed and careerbuilder and monster, etc, but Everybody on that bytch is looking for someone with a IT bachelor's degree or equivalent. And even with just that you have to, in some job cases, also have an A+, check, CCNA, CCSIP, MCSE, MSP (WTF), PMP (WTF!!!??), etc, etc. And I'm currently just studying net+/CCNA guides FOR my CCNA. Even craigslist ads are asking for crazy mad stuff just for ENTRY level jobs, which I'm trying to get. And even the jobs that I may be suited for, help desk and such, they want YEARS (2+ generally) for $13/hr that will probably be part time even if listed as full time. I'm probably looking in the wrong places, but at this point, I'm not sure where to look for entry level jobs for the budding I.T. guy.

I have 6+, yrs in customer service, associates degree (in graphic design) and leadership experience from opening stores and being temporary group leads and such. Plus I've over a year in technical computer work including deployments and automation. Am I really not employable for an entry level technical position or am I missing something?
Apply for them shyts anyway breh, you'll get calls

acri1

The Chosen 1
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Detroit

I would suggest not paying too much attention to the job requirements and just apply for any job you think you can do...the worst they can do is not call you. A lot of job requirement listings are unrealistic and will be ignored if they find somebody they like.

Even if the posting says a degree is required, they'll sometimes waive that if you have experience or even if they just like you. If you have your A+ just start applying for helpdesk/desktop support jobs regardless of what the requirements say. Just make sure your resume is on point.