IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

FreshFromATL

Self Made
Daps
Reppin
ATL
If you can afford to take a year off, definitely go for it. It's pretty much what I'm doing now. I'm about to start applying in a month or two for jobs.

If you been studying/practicing all this time since back when, you been ready for a job, bruh. Once you get into a gig, you gonna realize have the stuff you learned ain't even being used in companies because their technology stack is archaic

Silkk

Thats My Quarterback :to:
Daps
Bruh i fukking HATE recruiters who wait til the last minute to tell you about salary. Spent 20 minutes talking and this lady gonna come with some "this a level 3 helpdesk position paying 15.00" :what:

↓R↑LYB

I trained Sheng Long and Shonuff
Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan
Bruh i fukking HATE recruiters who wait til the last minute to tell you about salary. Spent 20 minutes talking and this lady gonna come with some "this a level 3 helpdesk position paying 15.00" :what:

I can't even remember the last time I actually spoke to a recruiter on the phone :heh:.

I put a message on my VM telling them to email me the job description and rate and I won't respond to any messages left via VM.

If they don't like it, fukk em :manny:

I've cursed some of em out before though :mjlol: I be treating them like shyt :umad:

Silkk

Thats My Quarterback :to:
Daps
I can't even remember the last time I actually spoke to a recruiter on the phone :heh:.

I put a message on my VM telling them to email me the job description and rate and I won't respond to any messages left via VM.

If they don't like it, fukk em :manny:

I've cursed some of em out before though :mjlol: I be treating them like shyt :umad:
I had just started drinking so i felt like talking :heh:

↓R↑LYB

Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan
Ehhhh i dont wanna take that much time off right now, feel like im right in the mist of a career breakthrough and i need to figure out where i want to move to. Always planned for Houston but Miami looks like heaven and there's a lot of opportunity there as well.

First things first, stop letting these dusty nikkas give you career advice :comeon:

Do not stop studying. Youre already in the habit so just knock every Certification you want out now that you're in the zone. Trust me once you stop, it'll be years before you start again. Do you know where in security you want to be? If it's the network side go for your CCNP Security at the very minimum (Checkpoint has the CCSE which guarantees you'll be eating too). If you enjoy it get your CCIE Security. It's Cisco centric obviously but I learned so much about hardening a network while studying for that cert, its crazy.

If you want to be on the information side, pick a platform (windows, Unix, etc) and master it. Also start learning about PKI, DLP, and SIEM. Learn about securing all the big MS platforms (Windows, AD, Exchange, Lync, SharePoint, SQL).

If you want to do pen testing/vuln management go for the CEH (the cert is useless IMO but jobs request I all the time) and OSCP (it'll teach you how to compromise systems/networks).

Give yourself another 6-12 months of studying and for the rest of your career you'll be 120k minimum.

Daps
I would recommend certificates associated with Bioinformatics, Ethical Hacking, and Computer Forensic Examination These are relatively easy to pass (brain dump) and can get you started working with the tools of the trade.

The more challenging certificate is the Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA) Routing and Switching certification. Its very challenging, but will give you a much greater understanding of networking

PewPew

I came from nothing
Daps
Reppin
Earth
Hello all,

I want to get in the I.T. field. I grew up designing websites and doing SEO, and I have some network knowledge. I know I have to start with my A+ certs so my questio is whats the best way for me to do that? is there a book i could buy and study before taking the test. Im in Atlanta if it helps

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
If you been studying/practicing all this time since back when, you been ready for a job, bruh. Once you get into a gig, you gonna realize have the stuff you learned ain't even being used in companies because their technology stack is archaic

Thanks for the heads up. I probably went overboard then, thinking I need to know all kinds of things. I've studied as wide a range as HTML/CSS and Responsive Web Design along with those CSS Frameworks (Bootstrap and Foundation), SQL, Ruby on Rails, Javascript and it's various Frameworks (Some Ember, a bit of React.js, jQuery). It's headache inducing trying to retain all of that information, so I feel better knowing I don't have to know everything. I really can't wait to get these frameworks and the such knocked out of the way so I can focus on data structures and algorithms and also improve my math skills.

↓R↑LYB

Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan
I would recommend certificates associated with Bioinformatics, Ethical Hacking, and Computer Forensic Examination These are relatively easy to pass (brain dump) and can get you started working with the tools of the trade.

The more challenging certificate is the Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA) Routing and Switching certification. Its very challenging, but will give you a much greater understanding of networking

If you're in here advocating brain dumps you shouldn't be giving anyone career advice

Daps

WTF? Since when is CEH relatively easy to pass? I heard that study session alone chops off an arm and a leg just to retain, and the tests ain't no joke. Knew a guy from the military who said he failed on his first try because it was so challenging. He works at a big wig telephone company now I think. Or was it IBM, one of those.