IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Silver Surfer

Veteran
Bushed
Daps
what do you look for in sql guys? currently learning it

The basics mainly...we do web development so I dont need a DBA.....in my dept you have to be well rounded if you want to fit in...Im one of the few guys that do SQL, Javascript/jquery/ Java and Hadoop development....so I look for people that are interested in coming up to speed if they are weak in some areas

We got some folks that say they are not interested in some stuff...I tell the recruiter "pass"

↓R↑LYB

I trained Sheng Long and Shonuff
Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan

Silkk

Thats My Quarterback :to:
Daps
That lab will teach you how to setup pfsense but it won't teach you how to compromise a system. If I get some time I'll setup a lab with step by step instructions and show you how to remote control a PC.
Ok cool

Daps
Reppin
MD
@Mainevent_7

You got a lab setup? I need to build one for practice, what you think about this setup:

Setting Up a Pentest Lab with pfSense in VirtualBox - InfoSec Resources
No I don't, eventually I will need to learn how to setup my own lab. Since I entered that cyber league competition they gave us access to Netlab+ to practice which has this:
msec_security_topology.png

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
Bruh....I hate books...I rarely read them..but the Oreilly joints are good... I am browsing one right now on microservices

What level of SQL knowledge do you expect new hires to have?
I'll end up going through a couple of books and hopefully it'll be enough, but then again, with Ruby on Rails, I don't have to use SQL that much due to Active Record. I still prefer to learn it just to understand what's going on behind the scenes though.

Silver Surfer

Veteran
Bushed
Daps
What level of SQL knowledge do you expect new hires to have?
I'll end up going through a couple of books and hopefully it'll be enough, but then again, with Ruby on Rails, I don't have to use SQL that much due to Active Record. I still prefer to learn it just to understand what's going on behind the scenes though.

It honestly depends on their resume..If I see 7+years...then I go in on them

If I see a 2-4years..I keep it light on my questions...I just want them to know the basics...because they can learn the rest from playing in the code all day

Also I interview levels 1,2,senior and lead

Funny thing about lead is...Im not even one but they want me to interview them

Just pay me $$$$$$$.....yall can have the title

You should mos def get SQL on your belt....its crosses departments in its use.....our business people know SQL.....so if you dont and you interact with them as a developer...you look funny

Also Hadoop's high level environment HIVE...you query it using HQL statements,,,,which is just 90% SQL-like

FatherSimp

Enough white hoes to last me thru ATL
Daps
Ok I'm currently studying for my A+ cert. The last time I took A+ was in high school which was almost 10 years ago. I been doing retail and restaurant jobs til I got to the point where I know i can do way better than that. Also I always had a interest in IT. Right now I'm trying to make a guideline on my way to become an Network Engineer. Any help will be much appreciated

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
MA/CT/Nigeria #byrdgang #RingGangRadio
It honestly depends on their resume..If I see 7+years...then I go in on them

If I see a 2-4years..I keep it light on my questions...I just want them to know the basics...because they can learn the rest from playing in the code all day

Also I interview levels 1,2,senior and lead

Funny thing about lead is...Im not even one but they want me to interview them

Just pay me $$$$$$$.....yall can have the title

You should mos def get SQL on your belt....its crosses departments in its use.....our business people know SQL.....so if you dont and you interact with them as a developer...you look funny

Also Hadoop's high level environment HIVE...you query it using HQL statements,,,,which is just 90% SQL-like
SQL was my bread and butter...i tell my brother who is in finance to learn the shyt and he will have it made

Silkk

Daps
SQL a lot easier than i thought. The one on Khan Academy is very dope

Silkk

Daps
fundamental things are not hard, some of the more advance stuff can be annoying to remember though, but SQL is pretty intuitive so yo can dikk around once you know the basics and be straight.
Which is why im bout to make a big ass print out reminder

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
Yeah, basics of retrieving records and the such seem simple. The complexity seems to come in when you are designing databases and dealing with tables that reference each other.