IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

↓R↑LYB

I trained Sheng Long and Shonuff
Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan

J-Nice

A genius is the one most like himself
Supporter
Daps

↓R↑LYB

Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan
How'd you get into consulting from the help desk? :ohhh:

Doesn't seem like that's enough experience for anybody to hire you as a consultant for something. I'd think you'd at the very least need some Sys Admin type of experience to be taken seriously as a consultant. Or did you just do contract helpdesk work and then somehow flip that into consulting?

You just gotta know how to hustle the system breh. I made my resume reflect the kinda job I wanted. So instead of me putting on my resume i accepted tickets, worked with end users, and reset passwords; I put I managed active directory user accounts. Make sure your resume is on point and the jobs will come to you.

My only concern about contracting is (lack of) a retirement plan and stability, and the possibility of the company treating you like you're disposable. I've been full-time for a while now (network admin), and I like it but I do feel like it's harder to learn when you've been at the same company for a while doing the same types of things.

Ive quit jobs because they wanted me to go full time. I have more job stability now as a contractor than I would as an employee. Benefits are an issue (insurance through Obama Care aint cheap :francis:) plus you have to manage your own retirement. But its not difficult to do.

But the benefits are you get access to a whole lot of different environments. Had I not quit my first job I would have never ended up in security. You get to be in so many different environments you get to figure out where you fit best. Plus you get paid a whole lot more. I got an $8/hr pay raise by being a contractor.

↓R↑LYB

Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan
I already got GNS3+vmware and a shytload of IOUs and labs for CCNP... I only got the 800 router so I could create real subnets and route between my virtual servers and real hardware at the crib, printers/laptops/phones for this mcsa lab, the regular ass home routers weren't cutting it... :francis:

I actually just got started with powershell scripts for adding users to AD :whew: ....shyt got the GUI lookin :flabbynsick:

You'll need some catalyst switches at least because gns3 still can't emulate Cisco switches. I was hoping they'd figure it out by now.

And yeah Powershell is the shyt, especially anything AD related. Plus its way easier to learn than something like vbscript

Silkk

Thats My Quarterback :to:
Daps
Need to log the fukk off and get this studying done

Splash

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
How many years experience you got? If you have at least 2, I'd recommend to start doing contract/consulting work. That's how I got out of help desk. I embellished the fukk outta my résumé though :heh:

Just 1 :francis:
My first year was majority android too
But according my cv im the man :mjpls:

Im thinkin i need a sys admin role for a year? Then I can have legs to stand on when i try and go for them contracts.

My savings account also needs work so I dont sweat when contract ends:huhldup:

Last edited:

FreshFromATL

Self Made
Daps
Reppin
ATL
I thought about doing that, but I don't know how to get those direct gigs. I saw my rate at a former job and they were taking 40%. That's when I tried to get in the recruiting game. Let me know breh, I've had my LLC for about 7 years now for that very reason.

Just sent you a pm, breh.

:salute:

Edit: fukk it, I'ma post it here for everybody.

It's not hard at all, breh. Just look at the job descriptions or when recruiters reach out to you, ask if the job can be corp-to-corp because a LOT of them are. Recruiters I'm working with now already know what I'm looking for. You just have to make sure your paperwork on point (i.e. you have your articles of incorporation, your EIN number, and the proper insurance policies). Keep in mind I'm a developer and do BI work so a ton of these contracts are corp-to-corp. Corp-to-corp can be the difference in making $75-$120 per hour on a contract or only $45 per hour, etc. on a w2. Not to mention taxes. I set-up an S-corp so basically I can avoid double taxation by paying myself an annual salary. I figure I'll pay myself about 30 grand per year and just pay the taxes on that. I don't know how that set-up would be on an LLC though. This what you see cats like 50 Cent, Luda, Bow Wow and other entertainers doing. Most of their income goes directly to their business while only paying themselves small-ass portions for tax purposes. Damn near everything they do is written off as business expenses.

Once you get to a certain tax-bracket you gotta go corp-to-corp. I know right now for me, paying $1600 + in taxes every pay period ain't fun

Last edited:

unit321

Hong Kong Phooey
Daps
Reppin
USA
At least one of these certs will put you in the game.
Note, this article is written by a company that sells training to get certification so it is skewed, but if you get the cert, you are good to go.
18 Certifications Worth Having - IT Certifications and Business Certifications from Global Knowledge

Bentleys, Hummers,and ice.

bentley-10.jpg

30CAFA6A-EBC5-4F77-AE3E-6052518DFE54_2.jpg

8135_lg_1.jpg

Pyrexcup

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
just started college studying enterprise computing now obviously no point in me getting low and possibly mid-tier certs but any certs you guys recommend i should take? anyone who has a project manager cert? i can get via school from prince2 and from the quick research i did it should be a credible cert. Already have a year helpdesk experience

CASHAPP

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Anyone know any good programs to download that specialize in DDOS attacks? Was thinking of primarily attacking an email but also contemplating using it on thecoli.com :troll: