IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Scott Larock

Its hard leaving thecoli but I gotta find a way...
Daps
Reppin
Hell
How long would it take starting from scratch? I'm on the n+ now. Ingot the a+ already, I really wanna leave the state but entry level jobs ain't gonna pay shyt. Am I fukked until I get a degree? I'm suffering big time over here staying with a friend.

I wanna move to Atlanta, Orlando or even Jacksonville.

I need a good resume first, hook come up with some good entry level resume samples or services brehs.

Stress is building up. I do two hours a day reading.

Silver Surfer

Veteran
Bushed
Daps
About to interview two candidates....one guy has been coding since I was in HS...:wow:

The other is a brother from a HBCU...:wow:

Daps
Hey I was recommended by a member on this site to sign up and join the conversation. Any advice for a current graphic designer studying to get his CCNA?I already got my A+ and heard that you should get your CCNA if your gonna study for the Network+. Plus I've been trying like crazy to gather a bunch of PCs to practice image deployment and such. Any help for the new guy on the block?

Silver Surfer

Veteran
Bushed
Daps
Hey I was recommended by a member on this site to sign up and join the conversation. Any advice for a current graphic designer studying to get his CCNA?I already got my A+ and heard that you should get your CCNA if your gonna study for the Network+. Plus I've been trying like crazy to gather a bunch of PCs to practice image deployment and such. Any help for the new guy on the block?

Damn you just leaving graphic design behind?

Kid McNamara

'97 Mike Bibby
Daps
Reppin
Freshman Year
@Kid McNamara Any good free Security+ labs?

Security+ is all introductory concepts. No labs needed as there is really nothing to simulate. Same goes for CISSP and Certified Ethical Hacker (CEH).

Just grab a book, read through it and take the test. :salute:

Don't need labs until you start getting into Offensive Security (OSCP/OSCE) and you're studying stuff like:

m6XNUxT.jpg

or SANS (401, 504, 508, 560, 610, 660 710) and you're studying stuff like:

cnQbccT.jpg

Or you're going through stuff like "Rootkit Arsenal":
2LLWeBe.jpg

or:

STHLxlg.jpg

Keep it simple for now, you'll have plenty of time for labbing in the future (if you choose to take it that far). :jawalrus:

Kid McNamara

'97 Mike Bibby
Daps
Reppin
Freshman Year

My brother, read through the pages and come back if you have any specific questions.

No offense, but we are sharing too much knowledge in here for folks to not even bother searching.

Silkk

Thats My Quarterback :to:
Daps
Security+ is all introductory concepts. No labs needed as there is really nothing to simulate. Same goes for CISSP and Certified Ethical Hacker (CEH).

Just grab a book, read through it and take the test. :salute:

Don't need labs until you start getting into Offensive Security (OSCP/OSCE) and you're studying stuff like:

m6XNUxT.jpg

or SANS (401, 504, 508, 560, 610, 660 710) and you're studying stuff like:

cnQbccT.jpg

Or you're going through stuff like "Rootkit Arsenal":
2LLWeBe.jpg

or:

STHLxlg.jpg

Keep it simple for now, you'll have plenty of time for labbing in the future (if you choose to take it that far). :jawalrus:
Props bro, i been killing this Security+ shyt when i get to the library and have peace. Gonna try to pass the exam by the end of next week.

↓R↑LYB

I trained Sheng Long and Shonuff
Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan

Before we can give any advice, which Smiley do you identify the most with:

:mjpls:
:cacpls:
:mexpls:
:jewpls:
:jappls:

↓R↑LYB

I trained Sheng Long and Shonuff
Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan
just started college studying enterprise computing now obviously no point in me getting low and possibly mid-tier certs but any certs you guys recommend i should take? anyone who has a project manager cert? i can get via school from prince2 and from the quick research i did it should be a credible cert. Already have a year helpdesk experience

Sorry to disappoint you but them low/mid tier certs are more important than your degree :wow:

I can't tell you how many friends I had in college who graduated with a BS in IT and was struggling to get a job. I'm not even sure what program you're in but I can almost guarantee that 99% of what you learn in college will be useless in getting a job. It's why I dropped out my senior year.