IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
Just officially became a small business owner. From here on out I'm only going corp-to-corp, no more w2. I'll have a million by the time I'm 40. Just dropped a ton of game in a small amount of words for the cats paying attention.

*leaves thread*

This was something I thought about for later in my career, but I`m not sure how the whole "Shopping your serviceS" around would work like how an agency works.

↓R↑LYB

I trained Sheng Long and Shonuff
Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan
You ain't have to put it like that:yeahiight:

Thanks to your advice, I got my A+ got another job a few weeks after through the recommendation of a friend and I'm on the path. I just had a temporary lapse of weakness:mjcry::sadbron::to:

You figured out the study materials yet breh :usure:

↓R↑LYB

Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan
Nah, it be like that sometimes.. sometimes you fall off the wagon, but it's more about how fast you get back on.. I had a 4 month gap between my ccent and ccna that I could've fit this MCSA between, now it's just wasted time that I can't get back.. being around people that's eatin, seeing legit results and seeing there's a a legit pathway to it if you apply yourself and stay motivated helps too, so keep posting them job offers :salute:

I just got a cisco 800 series router that I integrated into my home network.. got the whole crib setup as a domain with a network printer and 2 dhcp scopes for lan and wlan.. learning is so much better when you can see shyt happen in the physical :ahh:

If anyone is looking to get into ccna, they should definitely grab one of these off ebay for $35..

Get a couple catalyst switches if you want to go through the CCNP. You'll also need a few more routers so you can practice all the routing shyt.

↓R↑LYB

Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan
I'm trying to get the N+ because I don't understanding routing too well with the ccent.

I have the A+ and have been applying for some field tech/ tech support jobs.

I'm older than most brehs in here so I don't even know what the future holds.

I can always go back to being a security guard :francis:

:scust::mjcry:

If I don't get job soon I'll go get that LPN license and lift up fat fukks all day and stick my hand in a nikka ass for 20 dollars a hour:mjcry:

Worried over my age and race:mjcry:

If all you got is an A+ and no experience you gotta make sure your resume is on point. That's where I was fukking up when I first started

↓R↑LYB

Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan
I been studying for about 5 weeks now. My idea was to take 2 months for each exam but I started a new job at the same time so I had to :whoa: Back on it, every night about 1 - 2 hours then I lab for a while till I'm tired so I'll see how it goes in about a month.

Because of CCNA I can breeze through certain bits without too much trouble, what really cements my knowledge is to read a chapter then watch vids based on it. Really helps me connect the dots, going from vids to book, not so much. I also will have 2k12 open as im watching a vid and just poke around at the options.

I got CBT Nuggets n shyt but I found that is too long in one sitting and I zzzz found a nice course on udemy from this guy

John Savill

5-10 min videos so I can concentrate 2 or 3 vids, take a break for a couple mins then hit the next one. Holla if you need it I don't even remember where I got it :heh:

The physical book Im using is by William Panek from the Sybex guys, I love the format, passed my ICND2 with the same guys so had to re-up

Ebooks I got it all, what you need :smugbiden:, I'll soon be ordering the Month of Lunches series for PowerShell and AD as those seem pretty good, I dont think I will actually learn it in a month but I like the format and will be something to do on my lunches besides the coli :lolbron:

My plan is to pass within 6 months, then sit and learn for another 6 by which time I'll be with this company for a year and then bounce :birdman:

I took the same approach for CCNA and it worked well, got out in 10 months now working with Cisco equip :whew: Still level 2 helpdesk tho :to:

How many years experience you got? If you have at least 2, I'd recommend to start doing contract/consulting work. That's how I got out of help desk. I embellished the fukk outta my résumé though :heh:

acri1

The Chosen 1
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
How many years experience you got? If you have at least 2, I'd recommend to start doing contract/consulting work. That's how I got out of help desk. I embellished the fukk outta my résumé though :heh:

How'd you get into consulting from the help desk? :ohhh:

Doesn't seem like that's enough experience for anybody to hire you as a consultant for something. I'd think you'd at the very least need some Sys Admin type of experience to be taken seriously as a consultant. Or did you just do contract helpdesk work and then somehow flip that into consulting?

My only concern about contracting is (lack of) a retirement plan and stability, and the possibility of the company treating you like you're disposable. I've been full-time for a while now (network admin), and I like it but I do feel like it's harder to learn when you've been at the same company for a while doing the same types of things.

↓R↑LYB

Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan
nikkas think this 6 cert shyt is a game.. not to me.. @bdizzle be dopping some life altering info in this thread and he backs it up with receipts... we talking about achievable bread breh.. fukk I look like not getting the other 5 certs :pachaha:

It's crazy breh. I made it to where I'm at and I only gotta HS diploma :wow:

#CertGang :brehwow2:

aXiom

Maximized Potential
Daps
Reppin
Parc fermé
Get a couple catalyst switches if you want to go through the CCNP. You'll also need a few more routers so you can practice all the routing shyt.
I already got GNS3+vmware and a shytload of IOUs and labs for CCNP... I only got the 800 router so I could create real subnets and route between my virtual servers and real hardware at the crib, printers/laptops/phones for this mcsa lab, the regular ass home routers weren't cutting it... :francis:

I actually just got started with powershell scripts for adding users to AD :whew: ....shyt got the GUI lookin :flabbynsick:

↓R↑LYB

Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan
Just officially became a small business owner. From here on out I'm only going corp-to-corp, no more w2. I'll have a million by the time I'm 40. Just dropped a ton of game in a small amount of words for the cats paying attention.

*leaves thread*

I thought about doing that, but I don't know how to get those direct gigs. I saw my rate at a former job and they were taking 40%. That's when I tried to get in the recruiting game. Let me know breh, I've had my LLC for about 7 years now for that very reason.