IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Daps
Any electrical engineer bruhs make the switch over to the coli cert gang?

Would be interested in reading about your transition. I'm thinking about making the switch but I'm unsure about the financial hit i might take due to lack of experience in IT.

Dirty Mcdrawz

Your girl loves em....
Daps
my good brehs,

i'm looking to get comptia +a certified. do you guys know if there are any free online course anywhere? i've taken some sample quizzes and i've done pretty well, but i would feel better with some actual prep time and what not. any help would be appreciated.

King Sun

Big Boss
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
my good brehs,

i'm looking to get comptia +a certified. do you guys know if there are any free online course anywhere? i've taken some sample quizzes and i've done pretty well, but i would feel better with some actual prep time and what not. any help would be appreciated.
Course driven free studies is going to be difficult to find. I would suggest watching professor messer on youtube series

TRFG

Not who you think
Daps
Say brehs, I'm trying to get my python code to print a variable with the $ sign.

So far I've use print '{:,}' .format (Yearlyrate) which outputs the variable with a comma in the number but not the $ sign.

aXiom

Maximized Potential
Daps
Reppin
Parc fermé
The easiest way is to look up a lvl 1/2 AD job and watch a YouTube video on how to do some of the tasks in the job description. AD can be relatively simple since MS did a good job on the tools, but there's a lot going on behind the scenes.

Also for the interview, you should have a basic understanding of how it works. So you might know how to create a group but do you know how to change a group's scope and do you know the difference between the type of scopes and how they're used?
Breh.. So I completely dropped my CCNP studies and setup up a Hyper-V with 4 VMs, an MCSA study guide and basically went HAM last week, put Active Directory on my resume got 3 interviews lined up this week and aced the AD related questions.. just got a call back with a job offer from a huge ass company with crazy room for growth.. a cisco/ms shop with free certs :banderas:

Last edited:

↓R↑LYB

I trained Sheng Long and Shonuff
Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan
Breh.. So I completely dropped my CCNP studies and setup up a Hyper-V with 4 VMs, an MCSA study guide and basically went HAM last week, put Active Directory on my resume got 3 interviews lined up this week and just got a call back with a job offer for a huge ass company with crazy room for growth.. a cisco/ms shop with free certs :banderas:

I keep telling brehs how easy it is to move up glad to see someone follow the blueprint :wow:.

Here's some areas to focus on if you wanna blow past 100k:

Powershell - learn it very well. If you know it, it'll put you right at the front of the line.

Group Policy - you gotta be very familiar with group policy. Learn it in and out.

SCCM - its huge and pretty much all big companies use it to manage their infrastructure

Exchange - it pretty much dominates the messaging landscape. It's everywhere

AD CS - if you can become proficient in PKI, you can easily start getting security gigs (an extra 20-30k a year easy).

Setup some vms and start testing out all of those systems and put that shyt on your resume (get your MCSE too). Then you just back, relax, and watch how many recruiters start blowing your phone up for 6 figure jobs :whew:

TRFG

Not who you think
Daps
Breh.. So I completely dropped my CCNP studies and setup up a Hyper-V with 4 VMs, an MCSA study guide and basically went HAM last week, put Active Directory on my resume got 3 interviews lined up this week and aced the AD related questions.. just got a call back with a job offer from a huge ass company with crazy room for growth.. a cisco/ms shop with free certs :banderas:

:ohhh: So you got interviews even tho you don't actually have real world MCSA experience?

Kid McNamara

'97 Mike Bibby
Daps
Reppin
Freshman Year
I keep telling brehs how easy it is to move up glad to see someone follow the blueprint :wow:.

Here's some areas to focus on if you wanna blow past 100k:

Powershell - learn it very well. If you know it, it'll put you right at the front of the line.

Group Policy - you gotta be very familiar with group policy. Learn it in and out.

SCCM - its huge and pretty much all big companies use it to manage their infrastructure

Exchange - it pretty much dominates the messaging landscape. It's everywhere

AD CS - if you can become proficient in PKI, you can easily start getting security gigs (an extra 20-30k a year easy).

Setup some vms and start testing out all of those systems and put that shyt on your resume (get your MCSE too). Then you just back, relax, and watch how many recruiters start blowing your phone up for 6 figure jobs :whew:

As I referenced earlier in the thread. Pay attention to this dude and a few others who will actually put you up on game.