IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Silkk

Thats My Quarterback :to:
Daps
A coworker told me I should go for a networking cert before studying Windows Server 2012.

All I have is A+, about 1.5 years of help desk experience, and I've studied some networking basics (not much).

My short term goal is a better job. Desktop support rather than help desk. Long term goal is to be a Windows system admin. Longer term goal is probably Linux adminstration.

There's so much to learn, but I'm not sure what to study next. I've started and stopped studying for network+, mcsa Windows 7, and ccent multiple times since summer 2014.
Get on groupon and knock this out in a week

Bout to FINALLY take my Security+ friday

Sonny Bonds

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Get on groupon and knock this out in a week

Bout to FINALLY take my Security+ friday
A week? Didn't they just change it and make it harder? I was watching some cbt nuggets ccent videos today...
:patrice:

TRFG

Not who you think
Daps
The latter. Never spend money on a "networking" or "IT" degree, it's a waste.

Do what you feel, but I advise brothers to stop wasting money on school unless you're doing STEM, Economics, Pre-Law, or Pre-Med. Even then, I recommend going to a two-year, then transferring to the best four-year you can.

...unless you're able to get into a top-50 out of high-school that is.

IT is a STEM degree tho :sas2:

Kid McNamara

'97 Mike Bibby
Daps
Reppin
Freshman Year
IT is a STEM degree tho :sas2:

Not really though. Check out the website of a T50 university and see if you can find a bachelors in IT. I'll wait.

Online schools (Devry, UofP, Western Governors, etc.) may be nice and convenient, but they are essentially trade schools.

You can learn more by spending two-three weeks studying for Cisco, Security+, and Microsoft exams then you can taking two-years of IT related coursework. It's a joke "degree" meant to capitalize on the fact that IT and technical support jobs make up a significant portion of the job market.

You shouldn't be taking out significant amounts of debt to learn something you can literally self-study in weeks/months. Further, you'll gain far more of an advantage working entry-level/help-desk for six to twelve months then you will attending Intro. to Computer Technology courses for two years.

Kid McNamara

'97 Mike Bibby
Daps
Reppin
Freshman Year
When school is worth the debt: @TheRealfG

Four-Year:
1. You get into a T10/Ivy and are studying anything at all.
2. You get into a T50 and are studying Economics, Engineering, Computer Science, Business, or you're Pre-Med/Pre-Law
3. You get into a position where you maximize your GPA and your stats for graduate school (GMAT, LSAT, MCAT)

Two-Year:
1. You're going to work your ass off to get into a T10/T25/T50 university so you can do one of the above.

Otherwise, what the hell are you doing?

TRFG

Not who you think
Daps
When school is worth the debt: @TheRealfG

Four-Year:
1. You get into a T10/Ivy and are studying anything at all.
2. You get into a T50 and are studying Economics, Engineering, Computer Science, Business, or you're Pre-Med/Pre-Law
3. You get into a position where you maximize your GPA and your stats for graduate school (GMAT, LSAT, MCAT)

Two-Year:
1. You're going to work your ass off to get into a T10/T25/T50 university so you can do one of the above.

Otherwise, what the hell are you doing?

Breh, I hear you but not having a degree limits you around promotion time or trying to climb the corporate ladder.

Kid McNamara

'97 Mike Bibby
Daps
Reppin
Freshman Year
Breh, I hear you but not having a degree limits you around promotion time or trying to climb the corporate ladder.

Having an "IT" degree from no-name university isn't allowing you to "climb the corporate ladder" any better.

Not suggesting you don't go to school (not at all), simply suggesting that you make a better decision and work a lot harder if you're taking out significant amounts of debt.

Why waste four-years at a no-name, studying bullshyt, when you can use that four-years to actually position yourself for future success?

havoc

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Live your own life
A coworker told me I should go for a networking cert before studying Windows Server 2012.

All I have is A+, about 1.5 years of help desk experience, and I've studied some networking basics (not much).

My short term goal is a better job. Desktop support rather than help desk. Long term goal is to be a Windows system admin. Longer term goal is probably Linux adminstration.

There's so much to learn, but I'm not sure what to study next. I've started and stopped studying for network+, mcsa Windows 7, and ccent multiple times since summer 2014.
If you have an A+ certification, I wouldn't bother to get a basic network certification, because fundamentals of networking are already covered in A+. Aiming for a Network certificate that is basic is a waste of money. I keep a Microsoft Window 7 around and visit ProfesserMessor.com often to keep my knowledge sharp. Skip the Network+ and aim for a security certificate or go straight to Window Server.

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
MA/CT/Nigeria #byrdgang #RingGangRadio
Ok brehs I decided I am going to go for a cert: CBAP (Certified Business Analysis Professional ). One of my goals set for me for this year by upper management and HR was to take courses related to what I do in my position, which is IT Business Analysis. Also the company would be actually foot whatever the cost is for taking that exam. So I'm like why not ? :manny: My HR has a training/resources website thats loaded with course on every gotdamn thing imaginable. The BA courses that I signed up for are certified for preparing for the CBAP exam. These shyts are long as hell. Like 10 online courses ranging from 2 to 3 hours long each. So starting this week I am doing 1 course a week every Friday. fridays are my slowest days so it will be easier to block out time. The exam I wouldn't even see myself doing until Q1 2016 anyways. If this can increase my professional profile even more and maybe lead to more money and a higher job position, I'm all for it :myman:

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
Ok brehs I decided I am going to go for a cert: CBAP (Certified Business Analysis Professional ). One of my goals set for me for this year by upper management and HR was to take courses related to what I do in my position, which is IT Business Analysis. Also the company would be actually foot whatever the cost is for taking that exam. So I'm like why not ? :manny: My HR has a training/resources website thats loaded with course on every gotdamn thing imaginable. The BA courses that I signed up for are certified for preparing for the CBAP exam. These shyts are long as hell. Like 10 online courses ranging from 2 to 3 hours long each. So starting this week I am doing 1 course a week every Friday. fridays are my slowest days so it will be easier to block out time. The exam I wouldn't even see myself doing until Q1 2016 anyways. If this can increase my professional profile even more and maybe lead to more money and a higher job position, I'm all for it :myman:
You already work as a BA? Im probably going to do PMP afrer my Masters instead of CBAP, as PMP is more recognized/opens more doors and as a BA i already do PM stuff.