IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Kid McNamara

'97 Mike Bibby
Daps
Reppin
Freshman Year
Is it better to get a networking degree and then learn sec on your own and get the sec certs? :lupe:

The latter. Never spend money on a "networking" or "IT" degree, it's a waste.

Do what you feel, but I advise brothers to stop wasting money on school unless you're doing STEM, Economics, Pre-Law, or Pre-Med. Even then, I recommend going to a two-year, then transferring to the best four-year you can.

...unless you're able to get into a top-50 out of high-school that is.

Micky Mikey

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Would you guys recommend learning JavaScript if your a beginner? I've had a few classes with Perl so I am slightly familiar with it. I am a little torn between what I should focus on in IT. I am currently studying for my CCNA which I'll be taking in Jan. I recently graduated with an IT Security degree with a focus in Network Administration. Lucklily I was able to find a NOC job immediately after.
I've always had a slight interest in web developmemt because of the idea I'm creating something and the vast opportunities that web dev. has to offer.
I'm going to start getting the basics out the way through Code Academy. Afterwards I'll start doing projects since that's the best way I can learn.
Would you guys recommend learning JavaScript as a first?

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
Would you guys recommend learning JavaScript if your a beginner? I've had a few classes with Perl so I am slightly familiar with it. I am a little torn between what I should focus on in IT. I am currently studying for my CCNA which I'll be taking in Jan. I recently graduated with an IT Security degree with a focus in Network Administration. Lucklily I was able to find a NOC job immediately after.
I've always had a slight interest in web developmemt because of the idea I'm creating something and the vast opportunities that web dev. has to offer.
I'm going to start getting the basics out the way through Code Academy. Afterwards I'll start doing projects since that's the best way I can learn.
Would you guys recommend learning JavaScript as a first?

If you're going into web dev, Javascript is a must.
It's a fine language to learn at first. It's the first language I learned seriously... but you'll get to a point where you'll have to pick up another language to really delve into OO programming, because Javascript's OO is strange and has weird patterns.

Micky Mikey

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
If you're going into web dev, Javascript is a must.
It's a fine language to learn at first. It's the first language I learned seriously... but you'll get to a point where you'll have to pick up another language to really delve into OO programming, because Javascript's OO is strange and has weird patterns.

Thanks for the input. I think once I'll become proficient in JS I'll start learning HTML/CSS (which seems backwards).

you're NOT "n!ggas"

FKA ciroq drobama
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Astronomy (8th light)
I had a side gig making an extra $50 for 1.5 hours a week and I finally gave that up this week... got my bid in for helpdesk experience before I walked out the door though. It's all money in now :mjcry:

I'm working on this cert for now, as a safety net/smart choice, but I truly am interested in development. I have way too many ideas :ohlawd: I asked earlier, but it is no one out there up on Firebase? :dahell:

Sonny Bonds

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
A coworker told me I should go for a networking cert before studying Windows Server 2012.

All I have is A+, about 1.5 years of help desk experience, and I've studied some networking basics (not much).

My short term goal is a better job. Desktop support rather than help desk. Long term goal is to be a Windows system admin. Longer term goal is probably Linux adminstration.

There's so much to learn, but I'm not sure what to study next. I've started and stopped studying for network+, mcsa Windows 7, and ccent multiple times since summer 2014.